Coastal Surge has folded

That is EXACTLY what I was referring to.

I remember when people here were practically BEGGING Academy to go to finals (2004??) because their program was so strong...but the corps' management said they were sticking to their touring plan so as not to put them in a bad financial position.

Just like PC....that plan helped them to solidify things financially so they could exist.

I think a lot of people running startup corps have forgotten the bad old days of touring yourself into oblivion.

I remember griping about corps like PC and Esperanza doing the Regional Division 1 thing, and how they got to sleep in their beds while we were doing drum corps "how it was supposed to be done." I was totally wrong. You work with what you have.

Even though Esperanza is no more (I think they jumped the gun on doing a full tour), PC continues to be a model for operating within your means.

• Like 1

I also like to throw out that leveraging community events like parades and such are an easy way to make up fees. SDCA has been GREAT at helping small corps make money even going so far and putting us up overnight at some events at no cost to us. Not an option for a lot of people but Blue Saints, Pioneer, and a handful of other Open Class Corps have done it in the past.

Edited by lcarlton
  • Like 2

Have the Racine Scouts reached out to the members?? I know that they are hurting for brass.....perhaps something could be worked out?

With the All-Age corps starting to take form, I think that perhaps the corps in the SE could start to band together with them for shows at least for the first half of the season. This could benefit everyone down there. Drum corps midwest (when it existed) used to mix up DCI and DCA corps and you were able to build fan bases off of each others' draw

I think that the SouthEast may just be tough for small corps. All the Florida Corps have had issues, Spirit of Atlanta has reconstituted several times. Crown is the lone exception for SouthEastern DCI corps. In California they can do a decent 2 week tour in state. For a corps like surge there is one Atlanta show and One in Winston Salem, and I am not even sure that they would be invited to those. All Open class shows require going to at least PA or Ohio. So in this case I think Geography may be bit of the problem too.

And as a previous poster has asked It would be good if someone could post some good news about the members finding new Corps homes and making it to finals.

And as a previous poster has asked It would be good if someone could post some good news about the members finding new Corps homes and making it to finals.

I saw on Facebook that at least one member is headed to Bushwackers, whose corps director offered to help find housing for any others who are interested.

• Like 1

Just posted from CS Facebook:

You will always and forever be our little peanuts, our pumpkin pies, our tater tots, our storm troopers and our babies. Much love to all of you!!!!!

Xoxoxo

What???

That's more than a little juvenile, it's weird, and it's creepy. If that statement is from a staff member, no wonder they folded. They need some adults to run the organization. :thumbdown:

I remember griping about corps like PC and Esperanza doing the Regional Division 1 thing, and how they got to sleep in their beds while we were doing drum corps "how it was supposed to be done." I was totally wrong. You work with what you have.

Even though Esperanza is no more (I think they jumped the gun on doing a full tour), PC continues to be a model for operating within your means.

Had Nightfire lasted more than one season (a 5 show regional tour, SoCal only), or En Garde ever got going in the first place, they probably would've remained a regional corps for the same reason.

You can't work with what you wish you had...or even with what you PLAN to have..,..you have to work with what you have NOW.

One thing I wanted to do was to work on a season with the money we had in the bank at the time the old season ended....that way we'd KNOW what we could and couldn't do in advance enoughto actually PLAN for it.

Could a mod please explain why the post I made and the responses to it just disappeared? No idea who deleted so no sense asking another mod who would have no idea. PM if you don't want to discuss it in public but makes no sense to me. as was a civil discussion.....I see the original quote is still up so it isn't that someone copied without permission.

Edited by JimF-LowBari