Coastal Surge has folded

We are good friends with the British percussionist and his family, and are trying very hard to patiently wait for Music City Legend to call back, but they have taken ALL afternoon without word.

The window for either driving or flying these two kids to catch up with MCL is closing. Our BEST case scenario tomorrow is a 12 hour drive from Atlanta to Charlotte to Murfreesboro, and it's not improving. We're doing that to save these kids and their families the high price of last minute plane tickets.

If you're with MCL, please ask Tom Grant or Keith Hall to provide an answer for these two kids, and as quickly as possible. They've already been through enough, emotionally, and dangling an answer is NOT okay.

We are good friends with the British percussionist and his family, and are trying very hard to patiently wait for Music City Legend to call back, but they have taken ALL afternoon without word.

The window for either driving or flying these two kids to catch up with MCL is closing. Our BEST case scenario tomorrow is a 12 hour drive from Atlanta to Charlotte to Murfreesboro, and it's not improving. We're doing that to save these kids and their families the high price of last minute plane tickets.

If you're with MCL, please ask Tom Grant or Keith Hall to provide an answer for these two kids, and as quickly as possible. They've already been through enough, emotionally, and dangling an answer is NOT okay.

Are you sure you mean "Music City Legend"? I only ask because they were an all-age corps, but I can't find anything for them coming out this year.

Maybe you mean Music City Drum and Bugle Corps?

From last Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE4fkxpLbdk

And one of the young people from England:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CfHKzBQr8A

I ran across this.

I would like for everyone to see the 10th video. The "Musical Travels" from 1 year ago. Last video on the second row.

https://www.youtube.com/user/orinseyes

Thank you!

Edited by Bobbie'
  • Like 1

If you're with MC, please ask Tom Grant or Keith Hall to provide an answer for these two kids, and as quickly as possible. They've already been through enough, emotionally, and dangling an answer is NOT okay.

I feel for these marchers, and I know it's hard, but try to see from the p.o.v. of Music City and other corps who are getting requests like this. They're well into their seasons, they've been planning carefully the logistics of their show and their tour, and now, just ten days from championships, they find themselves scrambling to figure out if they can accommodate unexpected new members. Does M.C. have extra uniforms they can prepare, can they train the new members in time, can they fit them into the drill, do they have room on the buses, etc., etc., etc.? So give them all the time you can; I'm sure they're not "dangling" intentionally.

Want to thank the two posters who reminded me that a certain phrase also relates to "Star Wars". I see my post about it, one response and my original thanks post were all deleted (and another modified). Asked what I did wrong but no response. Also weird as I check "View New Content" for the latest and this thread has not been showing up most of the time. Doing it this morning too......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Last year at world class finals, for pre lims, semis, and finals, I was surrounded on both sides and behind me by a large British family whom two I think were SCV alums, a father and son who's daughter was marching guard in Blue Devils B. Making three generations. They spoke of the snare drummer in Coastal Surge and cheered for him and the corps as well as their family member in BDB, and another countrymen in Blue Devils guard. They waved the flag of England with pride. After Surge's performance, the young man joined them in the stands for the next three days. He was a very nice young man. He spoke of giving up a job commitment in the UK telling his boss he was "going to America" for the summer. This whole group were the most gracious and polite I have experienced in my 4 years of attending finals week. They spoke highly of every corps, told me some of DCE, and Academy's "Vanity Fair" seemed to warm their hearts. I treasure my slight British connection in drum corps. By the end of Saturday night I felt like my southern accent had morphed into a British accent. I so hope these young Brits from Coastal Surge find a home as well as any member, and I hope I run into this wonderful family again this year.

• Like 3

Just posted this to their FB page:

First off, I have no connection to Coastal Surge in any way, shape or form, other than being a former DCI mm and a lifelong fan of this activity. I'm sorry to hear you have folded. I feel sorry for the kids, because let's face it, two weeks before Indy.. there is a very low likelihood that many.. if any at all... will find a place to finish the season. That being said... Who is responsible for this? Who is responsible for killing the DCI dreams of your members? Who is responsible for this mismanagement of funds on an epic level? I assume you have an administration team that should have been sorting out finances. I seem to recall last year seeing a video of your British snare drummer... IN TEARS... literally BEGGING for money ($28000 in 24 hours is what I believe was needed). How in the world did you get yourself into this exact same predicament 2 years in a row? How much were your tour fees? Are all those kids that paid just simply out of pocket now, or did you let yourself get this far on promises to pay by the membership? Where did you spend your money... or did you even have any money in the first place? If things were so bad last year, why didn't you take a year off to sort out last years mess. Why not go Regional? Look at Pacific Crest Drum & Bugle Corps... founded in 1993... NEVER EVEN LEFT THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA UNTIL 2000! They are a prime example of living within their means and working with what you got. I marched DCI for 7 years. I was a member of a corps that folded so I know exactly how your members... the same members you let down... feel. Whilst I am sorry for them, I am also extremely angry at whomever it is that was responsible and ALLOWED this to happen... AGAIN!

• Like 5

Just posted this to their FB page:

First off, I have no connection to Coastal Surge in any way, shape or form, other than being a former DCI mm and a lifelong fan of this activity. I'm sorry to hear you have folded. I feel sorry for the kids, because let's face it, two weeks before Indy.. there is a very low likelihood that many.. if any at all... will find a place to finish the season. That being said... Who is responsible for this? Who is responsible for killing the DCI dreams of your members? Who is responsible for this mismanagement of funds on an epic level? I assume you have an administration team that should have been sorting out finances. I seem to recall last year seeing a video of your British snare drummer... IN TEARS... literally BEGGING for money ($28000 in 24 hours is what I believe was needed). How in the world did you get yourself into this exact same predicament 2 years in a row? How much were your tour fees? Are all those kids that paid just simply out of pocket now, or did you let yourself get this far on promises to pay by the membership? Where did you spend your money... or did you even have any money in the first place? If things were so bad last year, why didn't you take a year off to sort out last years mess. Why not go Regional? Look at Pacific Crest Drum & Bugle Corps... founded in 1993... NEVER EVEN LEFT THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA UNTIL 2000! They are a prime example of living within their means and working with what you got. I marched DCI for 7 years. I was a member of a corps that folded so I know exactly how your members... the same members you let down... feel. Whilst I am sorry for them, I am also extremely angry at whomever it is that was responsible and ALLOWED this to happen... AGAIN!

I thought DCI had programs in place to confirm a Corps was on sound financial footing before they were allowed to tour. Or is that world-class only?

• Like 1

I thought DCI had programs in place to confirm a Corps was on sound financial footing before they were allowed to tour. Or is that world-class only?

There's an entire thread dedicated to this in the World Class forum, but so far not very many solid answers. What I think I've gathered is that a corps needs to pass an evaluation, including financials, before joining Open Class, but It seems that process isn't repeated every season.

• Like 1