Murfreesboro, TN: Tour of Champions (7/24/15)

I think we might be putting too much stock in those few tenths that Cadets have over BD; especially considering the performance order- I wouldn't be surprised if BD pulled back ahead..at least for tonight.

I'm in the group of people (probably a small group) that just don't freak out with the Z-pull. Yes it was a cool move 30 years ago, but...that was 30 years ago. The move is more nostalgic now than an impressive drill move. My opinion anyways...

Saying that, I do like the Cadets use of it this year. It fits the music great and is a much better ending than the old run and gun they had before this.

I agree with your first sentence to some extent. Back in the 80s (and 1990) the effect was amazing because it was different and unique. If you were at Finals in 2003 you could see how the "Z-Pull" just didn't have the same effect, even though I like that show.

They [Cadets] have avoided using such a move and have been masters at finding other ways to end their shows (except for last year, where throwing the kitchen sink killed what I thought was a truly great and stately show). But from what I can tell on the Periscope video of last night in Alabama, the move they pull has the effect of a Z but it isn't a full unwinding Z with chromatic run in the brass and mallets. It's just a teaser and gets the crowd jumpin' considering the speed and what just came before it. Honestly, before they put that change in I thought they had a little Z-like motion with the pull form to the company front. So if anything they have just highlighted that move to make it more stately and exciting.

2015 Cadets are on another level than Cadets 2008.

True, but the ending of the 2008 show was spectacular and what many of us wanted from Vesuvius and that show. Cadets 08 is not one of my favorite shows. Poor narration, a story line that just didn't sit well with people, and they struggled to build any GE with that show. But when they flat out played and marched they were amazing.

• Like 3

I agree with your first sentence to some extent. Back in the 80s (and 1990) the effect was amazing because it was different and unique. If you were at Finals in 2003 you could see how the "Z-Pull" just didn't have the same effect, even though I like that show.

They [Cadets] have avoided using such a move and have been masters at finding other ways to end their shows (except for last year, where throwing the kitchen sink killed what I thought was a truly great and stately show). But from what I can tell on the Periscope video of last night in Alabama, the move they pull has the effect of a Z but it isn't a full unwinding Z with chromatic run in the brass and mallets. It's just a teaser and gets the crowd jumpin' considering the speed and what just came before it. Honestly, before they put that change in I thought they had a little Z-like motion with the pull form to the company front. So if anything they have just highlighted that move to make it more stately and exciting.

Yes, this 2015 addition of the Z pull at the end is more like a quick quotation of the past (drill-wise), but also seems to serve a very functional role in moving the corps to their final set position...nice work, imho.

1) Cadets

2) BD

3) Crown

4) SCV

5) Bloo

6) BK

7) Cavies

8) Phantom

I think tonight SCV will pass up bloo, I think the addition of the lights in combination with some solid cleaning will give them just enough boost to jump them.

I also think the high score will be less than 88.5, with each corps earning 1st place in at least 1 subcaption

Not sure about SCV passing up Bluecoats. SCV put up a great number the other night, but Blooo scored just .95 under BD. That's impressive when it comes to head to head. I still think Coats have better GE, guard, brass, with a percussion section that can hang with SCV. As feet get cleaner it will be tough to beat the Bluecoats. Wish I was at the show tonight -- and Atlanta.

Edited by jwillis35

DCI.org has the times listed as Eastern Time ... Murfreesboro is located in the Central Time Zone ...

7:20 PM Welcome and National Anthem

7:30 PM Music City - Nashville, TN

7:47 PMBluecoats - Canton, OH

8:04 PM Blue Knights - Denver, CO

8:21 PM The Cadets - Allentown, PA

8:38 PM Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC

8:55 PM Intermission (17 min.)

9:12 PM Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

9:29 PM Blue Devils - Concord, CA

9:46 PM The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

10:03 PM Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

10:25 PM Encore: Blue Devils

10:35 PM Awards Ceremony

Copied from DCI's Murfreesboro page

Note: All times listed below Eastern Time Zone

Masters of the Summer Music Games presented by Jupiter Mapex & Majestic

Middle Tennessee State University | Murfreesboro

Friday, July 24

8:20 PM Welcome and National Anthem

8:30 PM Music City - Nashville, TN

8:47 PM Bluecoats - Canton, OH

9:04 PM Blue Knights - Denver, CO

9:21 PM The Cadets - Allentown, PA

9:38 PM Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC

9:55 PM Intermission (17 min.)

10:12 PM Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

10:29 PM Blue Devils - Concord, CA

10:46 PM The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

11:03 PM Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

11:25 PM Encore: Blue Devils

11:35 PM Awards Ceremony

2015 Cadets are on another level than Cadets 2008.

The crown fans are just salty. They haven't had a fresh drill move since star 1993!!

KIDDING!!!!!

• Like 5

Not sure about SCV passing up Bluecoats. SCV put up a great number the other night, but Blooo scored just .95 under BD. That's impressive when it comes to head to head. I still think Coats have better GE, guard, brass, with a percussion section that can hang with SCV. As feet get cleaner it will be tough to beat the Bluecoats. Wish I was at the show tonight -- and Atlanta.

I agree with this as well. it seems Bluecoats' schedule this year just doesn't have them up against their top competitors that often, so it becomes difficult for me to get a real bearing on how they are doing or potentially doing with respect to their chief competition. Not enough shows with them against Blue Devils, Cadtes, Crown etc. this year. and TOC,s always seem just slightly different than the big regionals etc. by that I mean the order etc. anyway I guess it is all going to play out the next week or so with Atlanta Allentown and finals. I got to see Bloo a lot this year and love the show and just want to see them in the top three. This is not a 5th place show in my opinion. Anyway go Blooo

on my way to watch the Cadets practice right now! show tonight!!

• Like 4