Murfreesboro, TN: Tour of Champions (7/24/15)

I told you all. Crown is going for gold! Hot dignity this year is fun!

Before the results and after the broadcast I thought to myself...wow..in any given year ANY of these top 5 could be the championship winner...tonight's results just affirmed that to me even further...

My synopsis on tonights running with the top 7. Can't watch Phantoms show for more than a minute so please excuse me if that's a little salty but it is how I feel about that show.

Bloo-From a music ensemble timing standpoint was the tightest of the night. Not the best individual visual run but the guard carried the visual package tonight more than the corps did. But the drill is clean enough at this point. New ending is way more effective that the previous new ending. Should propel them finals week in good ole bloo fashion (see 04, 05, 06, 08, 13, 14). On thing is for sure they still have the design to win this season but they gotta get the individual performers gunning for it. Thought percussion got shafted though especially for how tight the musical timing was

BK-This can still catch vanguard. They too had their drums shafted as well. I do believe that they have the ability and talent to take out SCV in brass before seasons end. The warmth of their low brass sound is in the top 6 league and can play with a really nice sonority but it's not as consistent as the other horn lines. I still think they can push to 5th by the end.

Cadets-Am I the only one that heard the tear during the big follow the leader when the mellos playing a gallop rhythm and the low brass consistent 8ths? It was tearing there for a while and I think that's what did the drum score in. I knew they had lost it tonight by that moment alone and some visual dirt that was not there in San Antonio and same goes for that musical dirt I mentioned earlier.

Crown-Brass has a lot of demand musically with the spreads so those attacks being all over is not shocking to me at least. They march better than cadets and are on par with devils from tonight's runs. Really strong showing from them and the percussion was going nuts at the end like they had the greatest show of their lives. Could still take it in the end.

Side note: This is one of the best horn lines consistently this recent decade (2010-present). How do they not have the talent in the tuba section to keep the feature they had earlier in the season? It was a really cool 2 bar phrase that I enjoyed!

SCV-Love the changes but too many pit errors tonight. Don't know how this won drums. If it was just purely based on battery performance I could see that but the pit is REALLY holding their percussion ensemble back. The drill is nicely performed but some errors by design are ruining some moments that could be glorious. The ballad is hauntingly beautiful. Love the tuba feature as well. What's killing them is the new ending. Saw a lot of individual error as from a visual standpoint.

Devils-Holy cow can they march their drill well! Still lots to clean. Musically (I might be alone on this) their runs in the horns are not as pristine as the other 4. The trumpets triplet figure early on in the show was a little loose and got worse when the leads took it up. The sound of the horns are awesome though. Dunno if that ending will do it though. It's better paced than the earlier one but it's still missing that "it" factor.

Cavaliers-Run boy run needs to go. Though it was more audible tonight than I've heard previously. Some really cool moments in there for this corps and they have come a long way since 15 minutes of fame. Though it's not on par with last seasons show. If they clean this they will be back in the top 6.

My personal placements tonight would've been this but I'm no judge. Awesome season thus far!

Devs

Bloo

Crown

Cadets

SCV

BK

Cavs

PR

• Like 2

Crown has been consistently beating Coats for at least the last week yet your confused about tonight's placement? Perhaps you aren't the penultimate drum corps expert you think you are.

Thanks for the insult. Perhaps you should state your opinion instead of insulting mine. Edited by George Dixon

GE I am. I would guess BD in first again tomorrow with Cadets back in second. I would love to see Coats in third but they need to win third in GE.

Coats could've easily taken 1st in GE tonight if they were clean.

• Like 1

Don't count on any of the Cadets fans putting any stock on tonight's result. And they shouldn't anyways since this was a TOC show.

But had they won tonight. It would be so different and boy those judges got it right. I love the see saw effect of rationalizing every score. Tonight they lost first place and tomorrow may indeed be different. But tonight they lost first place and are numerically in third

• Like 1

Maybe that's his problem ... he needs to listen, not look :cool:

You obviously don't know that half of judging percussion is LOOKING lol. If I blindfold you and put you in a room where all you hear on a snare is 32nd notes with some sextuplets thrown in randomly, you would be like ok cool. But take off the blindfold and you see 10 snares doing that with paradiddles, triple stroke rolls, some stick moves, or maybe some drags or ratamacues, you would be much much more impressed.

• Like 2

I'm not so sure these long time veteran judges are going to look all that favorably to the Cadets going back to their time machine vault and bringing back the Z pull as their visual closer. It does not seem fresh.

By the way, anybody that has followed the TOC scores from the last few years, know that for whatever reason they tend not to reflect the scores in the non TOC shows. Now, having said this, if we see the Cadets in 3rd tomorrow in Atlanta, then I'd be concerned if I was a Cadets Alum or fan.

If the Blue Devils win in Atlanta tomorrow by 5 tenths or more, then they are in the drivers seat the rest of the way, imo.

Carolina Crown, BD, BK had strong performances tonite for themselves I thought, and the judges seemed to have agreed as well.

• Like 1