Murfreesboro, TN: Tour of Champions (7/24/15)

Well, my two storylines of the night, got blown out of the water with the results we got that no one was expecting. I was looking at Coats and them being within a point of BD and would that hold. Nope. And, was SCV really a contender after that 88.25 they put up this week? Nope.

• Like 1

People complain when they feel that corps are getting slotted and other people complain when we see recaps like tonight. Judges need to call it like they see it. As good as the top 5 are, I would be suspicious if the recaps were the same across the board. At least we DON'T know who is going to win in Indy...makes for a much more exciting season.

Word.

The reactions on DCP have been most entertaining tonight.

Do you want a predictable DCI or an unpredictable one?

I personally like the upredictable one.

• Like 2

My synopsis on tonights running with the top 7. Can't watch Phantoms show for more than a minute so please excuse me if that's a little salty but it is how I feel about that show.

Bloo-From a music ensemble timing standpoint was the tightest of the night. Not the best individual visual run but the guard carried the visual package tonight more than the corps did. But the drill is clean enough at this point. New ending is way more effective that the previous new ending. Should propel them finals week in good ole bloo fashion (see 04, 05, 06, 08, 13, 14). On thing is for sure they still have the design to win this season but they gotta get the individual performers gunning for it. Thought percussion got shafted though especially for how tight the musical timing was

BK-This can still catch vanguard. They too had their drums shafted as well. I do believe that they have the ability and talent to take out SCV in brass before seasons end. The warmth of their low brass sound is in the top 6 league and can play with a really nice sonority but it's not as consistent as the other horn lines. I still think they can push to 5th by the end.

Cadets-Am I the only one that heard the tear during the big follow the leader when the mellos playing a gallop rhythm and the low brass consistent 8ths? It was tearing there for a while and I think that's what did the drum score in. I knew they had lost it tonight by that moment alone and some visual dirt that was not there in San Antonio and same goes for that musical dirt I mentioned earlier.

Crown-Brass has a lot of demand musically with the spreads so those attacks being all over is not shocking to me at least. They march better than cadets and are on par with devils from tonight's runs. Really strong showing from them and the percussion was going nuts at the end like they had the greatest show of their lives. Could still take it in the end.

Side note: This is one of the best horn lines consistently this recent decade (2010-present). How do they not have the talent in the tuba section to keep the feature they had earlier in the season? It was a really cool 2 bar phrase that I enjoyed!

SCV-Love the changes but too many pit errors tonight. Don't know how this won drums. If it was just purely based on battery performance I could see that but the pit is REALLY holding their percussion ensemble back. The drill is nicely performed but some errors by design are ruining some moments that could be glorious. The ballad is hauntingly beautiful. Love the tuba feature as well. What's killing them is the new ending. Saw a lot of individual error as from a visual standpoint.

Devils-Holy cow can they march their drill well! Still lots to clean. Musically (I might be alone on this) their runs in the horns are not as pristine as the other 4. The trumpets triplet figure early on in the show was a little loose and got worse when the leads took it up. The sound of the horns are awesome though. Dunno if that ending will do it though. It's better paced than the earlier one but it's still missing that "it" factor.

Cavaliers-Run boy run needs to go. Though it was more audible tonight than I've heard previously. Some really cool moments in there for this corps and they have come a long way since 15 minutes of fame. Though it's not on par with last seasons show. If they clean this they will be back in the top 6.

My personal placements tonight would've been this but I'm no judge. Awesome season thus far!

Devs

Bloo

Crown

Cadets

SCV

BK

Cavs

PR

I'm the foremost Homer of BK, but I'd say 6th with a slight scare in SCVs rear view is the ceiling! Man I thought Cadets owned the night tonight, but I also am not surprised by BD or Crown! Just magnificent drum corps this year! Here's betting we have 7 corps above 93 this year

People complain when they feel that corps are getting slotted and other people complain when we see recaps like tonight. Judges need to call it like they see it. As good as the top 5 are, I would be suspicious if the recaps were the same across the board. At least we DON'T know who is going to win in Indy...makes for a much more exciting season.

Exactly.

No thanks, I'm not the one who thinks they know better than several shows worth of judges.

So you don't have an opinion you're just here to insult. Got it.

I wasn't a fan of BD's show at the beginning of the season, though it was much better tonight in terms of performance, and I understand why they'd be scoring higher in GE since they're really starting to perform up to the design.

But being .5 above Cadets in GE is an anomaly from 1 judge, pure and simple. That makes no sense.

And the percussion scores are just whacky, no matter how you try to justify it.

In short, it's not so much the ordinals that are so weird as it is the margins, particularly in the design subcaptioins.