Electronics 2015 - Good and Bad

As a horn player, that's incredibly disappointing to me ):

Yes, disappointment is the appropriate feeling. Not apprehensive as you have not heard this for yourself and no official staff have stated this. Because everything on the internet is true and I am a billionaire.

The only corps I can vouch for in the electronics realm is the Bluecoats. I attended a rehearsal day during the mid-season in Wichita KS. I interviewed the electronics/synth player, I asked him about all his responsibilities with that being said he has one of the most rhythmically demanding parts in the corps. Not to mention he is required to know about every single connection/component involved with the entire electronic system. He also explained in a simple form what all he has to control during a performance, here is what I can remember. Two mixing boards, Two keyboards, one or maybe even two electronic drum pads, and two Macbooks. That is just what I can remember as this was a month ago. He controls all the real time volume levels for the front ensemble and the instrument loops/solos. IMO that is extremely demanding and would take one hell of a sound tech to operate all of that.

• Like 1

Synth players have as difficult and complex roles as anyone else in the corps...probably more

agreed.

Ill hear it tonight and give a recap.

However much I didn't enjoy the electronics in Cadets show last year - the mobile narration - what they do to those French horns this year is even more infuriating. Don't put a dozen French horns on a podium and then give me an electronic sample. Even the soloist is pre recorded!! I feel like Blue Knights 2013 (giant blue balls...)

Sorry but that info is incorrect. Geoff (synth/sampler) is indeed boosting the sound of the French horns but - it's about 80% unmic'ed horn sound and 20% synth. And that's mainly to help it carry up to the box, because from up close those French horns are LOUD. Also Allison has a mic attached to her shako for her solo, it is absolutely not pre recorded, it's simply mic'ed up with a slight amount of reverb. Hope that clears things up! :)