Electronics 2015 - Good and Bad

they have to line up a sound that can come out of speakers several feet in front of them with the sounds made behind them on the field, and they have to also be aware of the fact that pressing the button isn't instant sound, there's also a very small space between "push" and "sound". While most of today's modern ensembles can't take a #### without Dr Beat guiding them through, you can't use the good Doctor during a show, so a tempo may push or pull in the heat of the moment. so basically for them, they have to separate fly #### from pepper on the fly in respect to timing.

yeah not hard at all

I guess that explains why so many of the synth parts use painfully slow-attack patches.

I guess that explains why so many of the synth parts use painfully slow-attack patches.

in some cases yes

As a big fan of "Kinetic Noise", I say absolutely. Judges should rate what's on the field that night, not what was "supposed" to be there.

I agree, but then I'm also not sure... If you're using electronics as integratedly as Bloo this year, is this not the risk you take? It's one thing if it's mostly there to supplement the show with thematic noises, like SCV, whose show wouldn't be *so* different with an electronic failure (ironically, given the show).

But many of Bloo's musical effects seem to have been designed to have Brass and electronics integrated to the point of being inseparable. I've heard the version without electronics, and it's a good show, but it's not really the same show. Relatedly, there's a version of BD streaming online where the K Pop music fails for maybe 10 seconds, and you can tell something's missing, even if you don't know what, because the surrounding music seems to be in support of something that's not there. It's like when one headphone goes dead. I'm not sure they should be penalized, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't be, at least a little bit -- they do it at their own risk.

• Like 1

However much I didn't enjoy the electronics in Cadets show last year - the mobile narration - what they do to those French horns this year is even more infuriating. Don't put a dozen French horns on a podium and then give me an electronic sample. Even the soloist is pre recorded!! I feel like Blue Knights 2013 (giant blue balls...)

However much I didn't enjoy the electronics in Cadets show last year - the mobile narration - what they do to those French horns this year is even more infuriating. Don't put a dozen French horns on a podium and then give me an electronic sample. Even the soloist is pre recorded!! I feel like Blue Knights 2013 (giant blue balls...)

Wait are you serious? I'm pretty sure the soloist is mic'd

Edited by Cappybara

They sure sounded real to me in ATL -- 50 yd line, row 12.

I personally think what Bluecoats is doing is very cool and neat to see done HOWEVER I also feel as if it is crossing the line when you start to have recorded brass sounds coming out of speakers all around the field. Basically what I am saying is when it comes to having trouble figuring out if the sounds you are hearing is really them live on the field or not then this becomes a little over the top.... because how far will this go

What if a good portion of a show one days ends up being brass sounds simply produced by someone pushing a button?

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not against using electronics these days... BUT where will we draw a line?

I personally think what Bluecoats is doing is very cool and neat to see done HOWEVER I also feel as if it is crossing the line when you start to have recorded brass sounds coming out of speakers all around the field. Basically what I am saying is when it comes to having trouble figuring out if the sounds you are hearing is really them live on the field or not then this becomes a little over the top.... because how far will this go

What if a good portion of a show one days ends up being brass sounds simply produced by someone pushing a button?

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not against using electronics these days... BUT where will we draw a line?

Your ear might not be able to tell but the vetted judges will be able to. And it will reflect poorly in their content music scores.