Sad State

I couldn't agree more. I earnestly pray that DCI will be able to work out the licensing issues. Especially this year when virtually all the world class corps have stepped up their game. In particular, I can't imagine having this year's top five shows recorded only in my brain.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

As we are writing the final chapters and then closing the book on 2015 a few things are clear.... Drum Corps is alive and well in every level and tier. And,

The lack of video that would normally be available to watch and show the next generation of students is sadly not around. I know some will roll their eyes and say boo hoo Wes get over it, but here's why I bring it up. As I'm sure there are many music educators like myself, those VOD and archives served as an inspirational tool to open the minds of our youth and my students esp. Every year towards the end of band camp I'd have a watching party to not only see the current years drum corps but to pay homage to many years, champs and great stories in DCI History. This isn't about griping that DCI live costs more for less product. Its about DCI providing less product for more to enjoy and perhaps spark a creative young mind to enjoy a higher level of marching arts. Maybe this is the new normal, maybe we're destined to resort to Periscope or YouTube to watch back great performances. But that's a shame..... Watching SCV 88 (I like better than 89)or Star 91, Suncoast Sound 88, Anaheim Kimgsman in the first ever Championships etc... Aren't available to share. So while I'm greatful that I'll be able to watch Allentown and Finals week live, I'm also saddened that for the first time in many years- I can't have a watching party to commemorate that art of drum corps with my students... That makes for a truly Sad State in an absolutely fantastic year for drum corps.

Wes P

Agree! My wife has her Fan Network subscription mainly to help integrate Drum Corps videos into her lesson plans (she teaches music to K-8). The online downloads work best at her school. I don't know what she will do if these are no longer available.

Maybe true.... But it's again a sad state that dead or dying technologies have to resorted to. I can pull out my VHS from 88, but that's just the point

• Like 1

The lesson here? Buy the hard copy products - CDs/DVDs while you can.

Don't build your world on rented space (the internet).

Probably the best plan. Luckily, she has a good collection of DCI DVDs, but the more recent are BluRay which she can't show at school.

The lesson here? Buy the hard copy products -- CDs/DVDs while you can.

Bolded because right now you can't even buy the DVDs.

• Like 1

Agree completely Wes. At this point, is it most likely that we will never see a Blu Ray of this year's championship?