Sad State

Years in the past, I happily paid for a Fan Network subscription. This year, I didn't buy live streaming because I live in Asia. The result? I started watching clips on other platforms, and I barely miss Fan Network. I also haven't been following DCI as closely this summer.

Even if they do bring back VOD next year, I don't think I will buy because I have learned to live without it. I'm not blaming DCI at all, but this issue is probably hurting their business in more ways than they have even considered.

:spitting: This was my reaction just now upon discovering that the DVDs and video downloads are now gone. This is especially disturbing to me because a) I am currently in a place in my life where going to a live drum corps show is almost impossible, and b) I actually still don't own the DVD of my final performance in 2012, and just today had thought to myself that I should really go order it soon. You can imagine I was more than a little disappointed when I realized that this is now, for the moment, impossible.

I snoozed, I lost.

Thank you, license holding companies, for taking away my ability to enjoy my own dang performance. And thanks for upsetting the operations of a not-for-profit music education enterprise that was doing nothing that would take away from your profits.

Have a nice day.

Is there a news clip or a topic I can read about how this all had happened to begin with? Link(s) would be great.

I had noticed that the downloads haven't been available on the site like they have in the past. I didn't know there were issues.

Thx

Is there a news clip or a topic I can read about how this all had happened to begin with? Link(s) would be great.

I had noticed that the downloads haven't been available on the site like they have in the past. I didn't know there were issues.

Thx

Its kind of scattered. As said, DCI really hasn't been good at communicating why this is all happening, so details are sparse. Basically, we all woke up one day and found out that DCI had removed some shows from the Fan Network archives. News hit DCP and spread. Other shows began disappearing. Now all video downloads and DVD's from the online store are completely gone. Its down to audio only.

Again, nobody seems to know why DCI has offered little in the way of official answers. But with this complete removal of all video products, it seems to be clear that somebody is threatening legal action against DCI in bigger ways than we initially thought.

The main reason I buy VOD/FN is because a lot of the shows I end up liking are not performed by the perennial top 7 or so groups. It ends up being open class or lower seeded world class and folks are usually less inclined to periscope/youtube/etc those shows because they aren't finalists or whatever other reason there is. I couldn't imaging not being able to view Mandarins or Cascades at all this year or Legends, SCVC, Genesis and the likes of others. The music industry itself is digging its own grave by tightening it's grip on copyrights.

First muted or blacked out portions of dvds and now this.

If they are offering audio, then that tells me it's not a music/arrangement copyright issue...perhaps it's issues with some event venues wanting a chunk of the pie?

But then I would guess that any contract with an event venue would include DCI retaining copyright ownership of any video or audio recording from that event. For example, the owners of Lucas Oil Stadium or the Colts would have no right to any copyright claim for any DCI event held in that stadium as per the contract. etc.

If they are offering audio, then that tells me it's not a music/arrangement copyright issue

Arrangement rights are different and separate from streaming rights which are different and separate from sync rights (putting the music together with the audio) which are different and separate than mechanical (reproduction) rights, etc., etc., etc.

So just because DCI can have one offering of the shows doesn't mean much in terms of the other offerings.

Same here - about the last 10 years of the PBS broadcasts. Trying to find a working VCR is another story, though... :)

I find mine at thrift store. $25.00 and when It breaks I pull out another one lol..

The irony in all of this? It's driving people to pirate. Clearly the music industry (and DCI to a lesser extent) didn't learn their lesson the first time...

Is "piracy" a good description for people watching videos on Youtube or connecting to Periscope streams? That's where all the DCI content seems to be this year.

I agree with your point, though. The lack of legit DCI videos at a reasonable price has pushed many, including myself, to find the stuff we want to watch in other places. Even if a legit channel returns next year, how many people will go back to it? This is surely a worse situation for both DCI and the rights holders than whatever % of FN revenue they were getting in years past.