Sad State

Is "piracy" a good description for people watching videos on Youtube or connecting to Periscope streams? That's where all the DCI content seems to be this year.

I agree with your point, though. The lack of legit DCI videos at a reasonable price has pushed many, including myself, to find the stuff we want to watch in other places. Even if a legit channel returns next year, how many people will go back to it? This is surely a worse situation for both DCI and the rights holders than whatever % of FN revenue they were getting in years past.

No the piracy he is referring to is video recording the live streams through computer software and then distributing them.

The irony in all of this? It's driving people to pirate. Clearly the music industry (and DCI to a lesser extent) didn't learn their lesson the first time...

and the industry will go after pirates because they can afford to and like being hard #####

If the issue is the rights of the creative composers and music rights holders, why are the videos removed and the audio tapes still available? Isn't the audio the component in question ?

Isn't the audio the component in question ?

Not exactly. From what I understand, the main problem is coming from the right to offer the audio, synced with a video, in a stream that's accessible on demand 24/7. The music publishers' lawyers reinterpreted the wording of existing copyright law in a way so they can prevent and/or charge more money for this.

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 2

Not exactly. From what I understand, the main problem is coming from the right to offer the audio, synced with a video, in a stream that's accessible on demand 24/7. The music publishers' lawyers reinterpreted the wording of existing copyright law in a way so they can prevent and/or charge more money for this.

Thank you, Spandy..... that makes sense as an answer to my question........ it also explains why I continue to watch a shaky version of Madison Scouts from July 20.....

No the piracy he is referring to is video recording the live streams through computer software and then distributing them.

Have you actually seen that occur?

I've seen tons of phone-recorded show performances on Youtube, but I don't think I've seen a rip of a DCI Live stream.

Have you actually seen that occur?

I've seen tons of phone-recorded show performances on Youtube, but I don't think I've seen a rip of a DCI Live stream.

There are several out there.

Saw with my own eyes they had both DVD's and Blu Rays for sale in San Antonio. They had a drawer full of them when they got my CD's.

I don't get why they would sell them at shows but not otherwise. More mysterious weirdness. And yes, Jeff's right, the lack of clear communication from DCI is very concerning.

<snip> And yes, Jeff's right, the lack of clear communication from DCI is very concerning.

It could be the same as we always hear ...... words to effect that: we do not comment on matters that (may be) under litigation or lead to litigation......DCI just being cautious in what they say........ any legal people agree??????

Saw with my own eyes they had both DVD's and Blu Rays for sale in San Antonio. They had a drawer full of them when they got my CD's

I don't get why they would sell them at shows but not otherwise. More mysterious weirdness. And yes, Jeff's right, the lack of clear communication from DCI is very concerning.

I got excited at San Antonio as DCI was running their video boombox of past shows. I asked the guy at the register if they were selling videos that day and he said no. They might have been in their road case with the CD's (which were for sale), but they were not for sale when I asked. Individual corps were still selling their own video products (if they produce them), but not DCI. I've been looking to eBay to help fill in some of my Legacy Collection holes, but interest in those auctions ticked up with the problems this summer. I certainly hope there is a bluray they can sell at the end of the season.