Sad State

Costs about $20 to convert up to 2 hour VHS to DVD in my parts..... Just found some tapes I bought when working overseas (in US format for the sailors) and just dropped them off for conversion. Still have a VHS player but don't trust the machine or about 20 year old tapes. Never ran into copyright issues as for personal use and I am replacing one format (tape) for another (DVD). Just call a local camera shop (some are still around) and they will problem send it out to convert.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Makes me very happy that I got the Legacy Collection and each of the last three special Blu Ray compilations when I did! I stopped buying DVDs at about the same time that the VOD system through DCI.org became workable. Should have never stopped.

For me, I only have copies of my performances. But I never foresaw not having fan network to view other shows by my corps, or any of my other favorite shows in general. If hard copy media comes back, I am for sure putting some money down for it.

Not that I trust Dan Acheson, but he did state at the preview broadcast that they were recording and archiving all the shows from this year. He indicated that after the season was over they were going to try to get the shows back online. Hopefully this is the case. Luckily there are screen saver programs like Camtasia, Fraps, OBS and several others. The best bet is to download these programs, and then record every show live as it happens, The biggest problem is all the glitches that DCI has had with the broadcasts this year. There are so many spots where even if you go into playback mode during the live broadcast, it still glitches in the exact same spot. Since it is a one time deal, it would be nice if they actually got it right.

I really hope they are able to work out all the copyright issues. I kind of wonder with the expenses of it, if they keep it a separate package from the live broadcasts, and charge more for the archive. I am glad I have always gotten the DVDs, CDs, and VHS tapes of finals and mid season selections, as well as most of the tour DVDs. But the old Fannetwork sure was handy when you are not at home, and want to watch something. This is such a bad year for this whole problem to develop, since it is one of the best years top to bottom that DCI has had.

I couldn't agree more. I earnestly pray that DCI will be able to work out the licensing issues. Especially this year when virtually all the world class corps have stepped up their game. In particular, I can't imagine having this year's top five shows recorded only in my brain.

wait. The blu rays are not going to be available this year? Did I miss something?

I would imagine DCi is working like hell to resolve the licensing issues. Inside sources have stated fan network purchases are down because of the lack of features. I have no idea on the time frame for it to be resolved...one can never tell what the legal system will do. I just hope whatever happens going forward, DCI is FAR more proactive in communicating the changes

• Like 2

This topic made me think of something. If recording a show is prohibited in order to protect the rights holders - even if the recording is for personal use only - isn't DCI in violation of rights holders' poicies if DCI is in fact recording the shows this season without knowing if an agreement to sell will be eventually worked out?

Technically, isn't DCI recording this year for their own personal use right now (assuming they are in fact doing this)?

Edited by Quad Aces