Last time G Bugles used

AROD24601

Hello!

I'm sure it's embedded in the bowels of the DCP forums but I admit...I'm lazy. Does anyone know the last time a World class jr. corps used all G bugles for their production?

probably 2002.

Pioneer. Something like 08 - 09ish I thought.

08-09? Fairly recent! Very cool. It's still my hope that a corps will do a throwback show one day (one can dream right?). Those sops sounded like melted butter to my ears when they were in tune:)

Edited by AROD24601

Pioneer. Something like 08 - 09ish I thought.

2008 Pioneer still had G, I was on tour in 2009 and they had King Bb horns that year.

• Like 1

Top 6 all switch to Bb w/ rule change by 2001.

Most div1 corps upgrade to Bb by the time 1st-gen Bb "matched-sets" get sold off to make way for gen2's, 3's etc.

By 2006 most of the SemiFinalist-level div I corps in Bb, w/ 1 traditional style hold-out - Pioneer.

If memory serves - Pioneer was the last to mob it in G. 2008 or 2009.

I miss G. Bb is theoretically 'more musical' but the gain in musicality doesn't outweigh the loss in LOUD.

Wish students today could hear a Star, Rockford, Cadets, Crossmen, SCV or BD victory arc in G - 80s/90s style.

Recordings can never do that sound justice.

• Like 2

DCI:

World Class: Pioneer for sure back in 08.

Open Class: Les Stentors is still on G.

DCA:

Open Class: Skyliners are still on G.

Class A: Kilties and Cincinnati Tradition are on G, Excelsior is mixed.

One has to go to SDCA, Alumni Corps, and the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps to find G's in any large quantity.

• Like 1

The Governaires should still be in G. I've never marched in a Bb line...but I did gank a sweet King 3v in Bb for senior year of HS....1st yr of college I had a huge halftime feature so I used my old student-grade holton tbn. for improv on "What is Hip" ...in Bb I have to admit there is more room for style AND volume on a tbn. We proved that in 2014.

"Drum Corps was "G" Bugles":

Most of the Alumni corps are still using "G" bugles. Scout House, as a junior bugle band carried "Bb", and as an Alumni corps continue to use them.

Elphaba

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Governaires should still be in G. I've never marched in a Bb line...but I did gank a sweet King 3v in Bb for senior year of HS....1st yr of college I had a huge halftime feature so I used my old student-grade holton tbn. for improv on "What is Hip" ...in Bb I have to admit there is more room for style AND volume on a tbn. We proved that in 2014.

Govenaires march Yamaha Bb horns

• Like 1