Last time G Bugles used

AROD24601

I believe the Erie Thunderbirds, DCA Class A, are on G Bugles also.

I believe the Erie Thunderbirds, DCA Class A, are on G Bugles also.

Larry, you are 100% correct. We are playing on G Bugles.

Westshore Alumni are mixed, depending on the preference of the individual /what they own/what the corps has available. It can make for some interesting stuff.

The Lead baris all use G. Mainly because 2 of us own theirs, Bruce gets a 5 foot long 2-valve Die-Nasty from the corps, Dave has his own late model Kanstul, Mike uses his own King 2-valve he bought in period off the King production line when they were building c.1980 for BD,and I prefer one of the Kanstuls, though it cuts like a slicer and I have to back out to about 40 percent... Some of the young guys use B Flat on 3rd.

The feature Leads prefer their personal pro model trumpets from observation rather than sopranos. For indoor, they can slam it hard and make people's ears bleed just fine.

Mellos, Both G and E flat, depending on the person....

About the only section I think is in G are the Tubas, and that's iffy. I think a couple of them use their own convertible Tubas since we usually can't source enough of them for all the guys who want in on the action.

About the only thing NOT allowed seems to be my Ultratone for Obvious reasons. "You are NOT playing THAT, you clown...." This from Dave... or in the case of my Dad... when I was practicing on it one day visiting them. He sticks his head in and says... "You were playing on THAT horn weren't you? I can tell, that thing is NASTY!" :satisfied:

How do we get away with this? We all use very good mouthpieces regardless of what crap we're blowing into. It makes a difference. Good instruction past and present. We listen awful hard to get the thing into tune, more or less. The left thumb throw in the Kanstul gets a LOT of use. :satisfied:

Top 6 all switch to Bb w/ rule change by 2001.

Most div1 corps upgrade to Bb by the time 1st-gen Bb "matched-sets" get sold off to make way for gen2's, 3's etc.

By 2006 most of the SemiFinalist-level div I corps in Bb, w/ 1 traditional style hold-out - Pioneer.

If memory serves - Pioneer was the last to mob it in G. 2008 or 2009.

I miss G. Bb is theoretically 'more musical' but the gain in musicality doesn't outweigh the loss in LOUD.

Wish students today could hear a Star, Rockford, Cadets, Crossmen, SCV or BD victory arc in G - 80s/90s style.

Recordings can never do that sound justice.

Not correct!

We used G-Bugles in 2001 with The Glassmen in 5th,Phantom and Crossmen(6th&7th) marched G-Bugles too.

Only the Top4 BD,Cadets,Cavaliers and SVC and Carolina Crown used bflat Horns in Top12.

Not correct!

We used G-Bugles in 2001 with The Glassmen in 5th,Phantom and Crossmen(6th&7th) marched G-Bugles too.

Only the Top4 BD,Cadets,Cavaliers and SVC and Carolina Crown used bflat Horns in Top12.

And the Rule Chance was in 2000.

But only BD and Cadets marched bflat Horns in 2000

If you attended finals this year, you can hear that Bb can still be LOUD. the intonation of those horns more than make up for Gs.

I've no desire to have Gs back. The kids are happier with the Bbs intonation and pitch control, the corps can resell them easier, and that's really the win win.

in 2001 madison still used Gs, as did bluecoats, crown, and the rest of the groups in the lower 12. if you check out the pics, i'm pretty sure you can see crown is still on Gs by the bari's large wrap around main tube. I also think they were still part of YEA then, and why would YEA spend money on them at that point? womp womp

Top 6 all switch to Bb w/ rule change by 2001.

Most div1 corps upgrade to Bb by the time 1st-gen Bb "matched-sets" get sold off to make way for gen2's, 3's etc.

By 2006 most of the SemiFinalist-level div I corps in Bb, w/ 1 traditional style hold-out - Pioneer.

If memory serves - Pioneer was the last to mob it in G. 2008 or 2009.

I miss G. Bb is theoretically 'more musical' but the gain in musicality doesn't outweigh the loss in LOUD.

Wish students today could hear a Star, Rockford, Cadets, Crossmen, SCV or BD victory arc in G - 80s/90s style.

Recordings can never do that sound justice.

Edited by C.Holland

If you attended finals this year, you can hear that Bb can still be LOUD. the intonation of those horns more than make up for Gs.

I've no desire to have Gs back. The kids are happier with the Bbs intonation and pitch control, the corps can resell them easier, and that's really the win win.

in 2001 madison still used Gs, as did bluecoats, crown, and the rest of the groups in the lower 12. if you check out the pics, i'm pretty sure you can see crown is still on Gs by the bari's large wrap around main tube. I also think they were still part of YEA then, and why would YEA spend money on them at that point? womp womp

Frank Dorritie sat down with us at Westshore in 1982 and explained, using drawings of waveforms how playing in tune made you louder, not just blasting away and not caring about tonal center.

People then wondered how 48-56 of us could out play the 65 guys at Sky and the Cabs. :innocent:

Intonation matters more than raw output, period. :happy:

• Like 2

I sense the "loud" (of today) has more to do with larger brass lines and staging/design today over what it was more than 10-15 years ago. Madison was still on G's at least through 2002. Intonation? Most kids can't even spell it, much less be aware of it.

Edited by bill

If you attended finals this year, you can hear that Bb can still be LOUD.

Aside from Crown (and Blue Devils and Bluecoats in some places), which hornlines at finals this year sounded particularly loud to you?