Shuffle Off To Buffalo (TOC 8/2)

Oh well, the best thing of the night was the tune by Rush. Can't go wrong there. What a song!

I'm not overally shocked by these numbers. Maybe the judges just called it as they saw it tonight. Things will close back in, I think. Of the top 5 corps, the Blue Devils have the most consistent numbers across the board. They've been that way for a while.

The Cadets were able to use their musical and visual muscle to win a lot of shows early and mid season when their guard wasn't too far behind and before other aspects of their competitors' shows began to clean a bit more.

Carolina began to surge a little before Atlanta, and then in Atlanta seemed to hit a new level. They've been close to BD ever since, and still are...only .550 off tonight.

But in the end, this is why it's so hard to beat the Blue Devils. They simply don't have any weaknesses, so once they clean they are usually tough to take down. I still think Carolina will pull this one out. Just my gut feeling. But I would have no problem with this Devils show winning. I really like it, almost as much as I liked last year's show.

• Like 2

The bothersome part for me is that the numbers had been very jumbled in each sub heading, giving us the closeness of the scores. I know BD is the only group who doesn't seem to have a "dinged" category in the adjudication sheet. For Cadets it's been Color Guard and Crown has been Percussion. Bloo seems to take get knocked in any kind of coordination aspect as judges are still trying to figure out what they want out of the electronics vs. whatever in a show. I don't like seeing certain judges and knowing that they have any kind of negative thinking in any category, such as I mentioned above. It seems like some people have a slotted score or range of that score fixed in their thoughts, without giving the chance that a group could break out and into a new box area on the score sheet. It seems like some names get attached to certain places/score range for certain groups. I would love having the feeling that any of the top 4 could have that "one moment in time" when things sync together and the performance rises above the others, to win.

But thats what is great about DCI. The corps are so good that someone has to get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. There is so much parity and I'd be way more concerned with agenda if you saw certain groups with all the same numbers across the board. Also add in that BD is consistent because they've had the same staff in place for 20 years, some captions pushing 30 years. This has been discussed ad nauseam in other topics, but this consistency has allowed them to sustain at the top in every year. Mixed captions equals "performance of the night" judging, which is what we all want. Whoever performs that night, gets the reward. At least, we have to assume they do... :cool:

Edited by trumpetcam

Folks, a 2 point spread is common if there are 1-3 tenth differences, so the fact that we even have 4 corps within 2 points is absolutely RIDICULOUS if you really think about it. We have become WAY too desensitized to the true tenth value of scores and realize that any of the top 4 could feasibly jump 1-2 points any night... [snipped for brevity]

I totally agree with you and get what you are saying, but the scores tonight will be somewhat tough for people to digest when the past 2 weeks the top 4 has been separated by .7 to 1.5 at most. Honestly, I will chalk some of this up to appearance order, which is something the G7 wanted. Wonder how some feel about that now.? :) I will also chalk this up to BD having a fabulous night, which they can do from time to time...so I hear.

Would have thought there were only 3 groups there tonight. Wait a second Phantom beats cavies head to head which people said wouldn't happen. Theyve been Phrised.

A lot of us said this would happen. Earlier I said this would happen but not by the +1.7 lead phantom had in Allentown.

Tonight the judges dropped that to .125 which btw is an increase of 1.85 for the cavies while phantom improved their score by only .175.

Cavies are still on the mend. Indy should be interesting.

BD drums were behind cadets, suddenly ahead

BD drums were .1 behind the Cadets on Thursday. Tonight they were .1 ahead. Is that shocking?

• Like 3

A lot of us said this would happen. Earlier I said this would happen but not by the +1.7 lead phantom had in Allentown.

Tonight the judges dropped that to .125 which btw is an increase of 1.85 for the cavies while phantom improved their score by only .175.

Cavies are still on the mend. Indy should be interesting.

Almost every group from night one junoed up 1.5 points

I totally agree with you and get what you are saying, but the scores tonight will be somewhat tough for people to digest when the past 2 weeks the top 4 has been separated by .7 to 1.5 at most. Honestly, I will chalk some of this up to appearance order, which is something the G7 wanted. Wonder how some feel about that now.? :) I will also chalk this up to BD having a fabulous night, which they can do from time to time...so I hear.

Agreed. The mixed orders is really forcing the judging community to have their stuff together. Its frustrating in some ways, but also interesting to see how they play out certain nights. No surprise 88 Madison was such an interesting and rewarding experience for the fans. Performance of the night, order matters! Maybe we need to go back to this..

• Like 1

Aaaaaaaaand you lost me

Haha. Well its subjective, so they are all right and they are all wrong either way you shake it! At least it keeps us busy!!