Shuffle Off To Buffalo (TOC 8/2)

The reality is we're trying to force a quantitative score on something using completely qualitative criteria. Name me one other competitive activity that does this outside of the music realm. Every year we get frustrated when it happens and act surprised.

When 3-5 corps are as close as they are and presenting completely different artistic programs, do we really expect humans to rationally seperate them using a number system? Ask 10 experts in a blind test who has more GE, BD or bloo and you'll get 10 different opinions. However, it's not blind so the judges, who are supposed to be the experts, can only rely on what is supposed to happen because in reality they can't be differentiated.

In other words, we can't really tell which is better so we rely on our historical perspective until something is overwhelming to convince us otherwise.

Maybe ice skating has a better approach which incorporates but compulsory requirements and artistic ones.

Having said all that, nothing will really change and with regard to judging and I'll continue to watch all the great programs. And leave before scores are announced.

THAT much? They won by less than .6.. Thats nothing in terms of tenth value. Folks, a 2 point spread is common if there are 1-3 tenth differences, so the fact that we even have 4 corps within 2 points is absolutely RIDICULOUS if you really think about it. We have become WAY too desensitized to the true tenth value of scores and realize that any of the top 4 could feasibly jump 1-2 points any night, given the panel and performance. A .6 spread is like one less visual tear, ensemble tear, or standing ovation away from being flipped. Have faith in the judging and let the dynamics of each panel and their particular strengths do the work. It really will come down to the mix of personalities who are judging on Finals night this year.

It is not that much for sure, but I think it is their biggest spread over Crown (a tad over half a point) in a couple weeks at least . I believe that has to do with performance order,

Edited by jmc5682

We really don't know anything, last night cadets guard was just 0.2 in exec behind crown. Now they're a mile back

BD drums were behind cadets, suddenly ahead

GE scores flipped from the prior competitions

It's just sad when I looked at the judge line up at five today and knew right away the BD would win and spread the gap

And I say that not taking anything away from a wonderful corps, which they are

The compostiion of the panels just should be that readable.

Different show on a different day. Performance is fluid and can vary greatly.

• Like 3

It's a little sad that when the spreads were tight across all 4 top corps, no one complained when corps flipped around in captions. But once one corps starts pulling away at ONE show, all hell breaks loose and people resort to accusing the judges of bias.

These performances vary from night to night, there won't be steady rises. This whole season, the GE caption has been traded around EVERYWHERE (seriously, check it out. Some nights Bloo wins, others Cadets win, others, Crown wins, others BD wins). GE is highly subjective and so of course it's going to vary.

Performances will also vary. Cadets won drums last night (despite performing on a separate night as BD) and now they trade positions where BD moves up by .2. That's a pretty goddam minuscule spread to be complaining about. I think worst of all, no one in here even SAW the performances tonight (apart from a select few). Everyone sees a couple names on the judges lists, sees the scores, and yells and hollers when things don't look exactly the same as before. Sorry that DCI killed your suspenseful season for one night.

This judging bias bullsht is ridiculous. Atleast watch the goddam shows live before you throw accusations at REAL PEOPLE like that.

• Like 3

We will just see what happens this coming week. It is still too close to call and that is a great thing. I hope my Blue Devils can make it #17, but I also love Crown's show. Bloo has me excited as well, but I do like last years design a bit better. I am just not a fan of Cadets, but it is a style thing for me. I know they are a really talented corps. SCV is the top 5 corps that has lost the most momentum over the past week or so.

• Like 3

The reality is we're trying to force a quantitative score on something using completely qualitative criteria. Name me one other competitive activity that does this outside of the music realm. Every year we get frustrated when it happens and act surprised.

When 3-5 corps are as close as they are and presenting completely different artistic programs, do we really expect humans to rationally seperate them using a number system? Ask 10 experts in a blind test who has more GE, BD or bloo and you'll get 10 different opinions. However, it's not blind so the judges, who are supposed to be the experts, can only rely on what is supposed to happen because in reality they can't be differentiated.

In other words, we can't really tell which is better so we rely on our historical perspective until something is overwhelming to convince us otherwise.

Maybe ice skating has a better approach which incorporates but compulsory requirements and artistic ones.

Having said all that, nothing will really change and with regard to judging and I'll continue to watch all the great programs. And leave before scores are announced.

The first thing that came to mind was teacher evaluations (race to the top, ######!).

Gymnastics and ice skating would be two I can think of.

It's a little sad that when the spreads were tight across all 4 top corps, no one complained when corps flipped around in captions. But once one corps starts pulling away at ONE show, all hell breaks loose and people resort to accusing the judges of bias.

These performances vary from night to night, there won't be steady rises. This whole season, the GE caption has been traded around EVERYWHERE (seriously, check it out. Some nights Bloo wins, others Cadets win, others, Crown wins, others BD wins). GE is highly subjective and so of course it's going to vary.

Performances will also vary. Cadets won drums last night (despite performing on a separate night as BD) and now they trade positions where BD moves up by .2. That's a pretty goddam minuscule spread to be complaining about. I think worst of all, no one in here even SAW the performances tonight (apart from a select few). Everyone sees a couple names on the judges lists, sees the scores, and yells and hollers when things don't look exactly the same as before. Sorry that DCI killed your suspenseful season for one night.

This judging bias bullsht is ridiculous. Atleast watch the goddam shows live before you throw accusations at REAL PEOPLE like that.

Sorry Cappy. But the judges only get it right when my corps wins. When my corps loses than we need to get new judges, oh wait we did get some new judges this year and we are still complaining lol.

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 4

Were you at the show? Because if not I am very willing to dismiss your opinion on the night as well.

Were you at the show? Because if not I am very willing to dismiss your opinion on the night as well.

Be my guest

• Like 1