ALLENTOWN - Day 2

Amazing how tight the clusters of 2, 3, and 4 corps are: Colts, Troop Academy; BAC, Blue Star, X-men; Crest, Mandarins, Oregon; BK, Cavs, PR, Madison; and then the top 4....... SCV is in a niche of their own for now.... but could join the gang above or even the cluster below.....

What a season !

Yes....this is an amazing season. So many outstanding shows! Here's the thing.....the fact that SCV is not in the conversation for medal contention is ridiculous. It was the general consensus in June (I believe), that SCV had a medal- worthy show and it has only gotten better, with probably the GE moment of the summer. Please don't drag out the "they aren't performing it cleanly" argument. They are most definitely cleaning. And other corps are still dealing with their own dirt. I know not everyone shares my absolute fan-girl obsession with this show design.....but no way should SCV be hovering in the 90.-whatever range. They should be more in the mix. Very disappointing.

On the plus plus side..... Crown and Bloo! Spectacular!!

• Like 1

Massillon will be interesting. I wonder how Bloo will do. Last year Cadets beat them at that show. I will be there and can't wait to see how things play out, with both Cadets and Crown in the mix!

Yes it will. Last year Cadets beat Bloo there by .8 and we all know how things ended at Indy.

Tonight Coats were less than that (.7) from 1st place Crown.

It's still a 4 horse race!!!!

By the way....online tickets for Massillon ends in about 30 minutes at midnight. Better get them now or be prepared to stand in long lines Monday night and be sitting near the end zone.

• Like 3

I tend to agree with this. Now, in the long run the investment is worth it because Cadets 2 get the uniforms, and I am sure they will modify them to some extent to have a bit more color. I also didn't mind it so much that Cadets decided to explore with only 10 days left. In the end we can all say we got to see them in Maroon and Gold. But it is tough when you know the corps is THAT good and you feel they could easily win this thing, and then they go and take such a big risk.

Now, who knows, maybe it pays off for them. Maybe they do win. They did throw down tonight I thought. But even if they did win, I am not wild about the all black look. Maybe if they had a darker maroon top with white streaks in the plumes. But to me it does clutter the visual to some extent. Saktig really writes drill for those white pants. His drills tend to reflect legs and motion so well. The corps that typically wear black bottoms tend to go with colored tops and do not march a similar style of drill.

At any rate, they were fabulous tonight.

they aren't going to win or lose based on the uniforms - that's correct

they will either get clean in time, to achieve their very high comp/content/rep scores the panel awarded them tonight (the highest of any corps this season) or they won't

things can change quickly - so the next few days will decide a lot. Either they or BD could easily leap frog Crown tomorrow

You sure that wasn't 1993? That was their first ever Finals.

I thought it was 91 - when Star won. But you are correct, 93. When Star lost

lol.

• Like 1

OK drummers whats wrong with Crowns Drums that they get the shaft every week

They're dirty

• Like 2

Have to disagree. 7 judges had rep/cont over performance...plenty of room to grow.

AND THEY TOOK FIRST IN GE!!!!!!

This is what I'm thinking too. Let's face it, at this stage it's not uncommon for the best corps to have their achievement even or above their rep. These corps are really clean now. It's just little things. But with Bluecoats GE scores it does make you wonder if they are THE darkhorse.

I said it earlier that I feel Carolina will likely win. They look the cleanest and most polished to me. Not sure how Cadets all-black look will work for them down the stretch. BD is always in it as well. But if Bluecoats pull out a GE win at Indy and also stay right in the thick of it with performance captions, then I can see them winning. Otherwise I kind of see them in 2nd or 3rd.

What DCI should do is hand out 1 Gold and 3 Silver medals at Finals.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

I agree on this post as well... very insightful. I just disagree with the conclusion - but that's ok

(respectful snip)

but the color thing - which I realize you don't care for - isn't being scored as an issue

No problem with the disagreement, my friend. Especially when you express it so eloquently. :smile:

+++

The part you disagreed with on my post ^^^, are you saying you think someone at Cadets is listening?

I hope with all sincerity that you are right and I am wrong.

Can someone tell me when we had 4 corps within a point of each other going into prelims?

Yes it is a 4 horse race. I am getting more and more impressed with Bluecoats every time I see them.

I was really starting to warm up to crown but their fans are such butts I just can't dig it. Sorry but you guys need to earn respect and there are a lot of drum corps who totally have it like Cadets and SCV and Cavaliers Phantom Bluecoats etc. Don't make us dislike your members because you are being like that. One title does not give you the right to act like you are all that. what I saw in 13 at our home show after we fed your kids and gave you a bigger standing O than our own and then you boo'd us? Please don't ever come back if you are going to act like that.

• Like 1

if Cadets had Crown's guard score they would have won with a 93.950

if Crown had Cadets drum score they would have won with a 94+

if Coats had Cadets winning music score they would remain in 3rd with a 93.40

Nice tidbit. Thanks for that, George! 😊