ALLENTOWN - Day 2

...again? Just how many times are we going to ask them to do that?

Until they get it right.

Sounds much more accurate than this opinionated (fraudulent) nonsense we have now in the execution captions. How can anyone ACCURATELY compare (remember) all the errors in an entire 11 minute performance they saw 5 or 10 or 25 or 36 corps ago with the current corps on the field? Not possible with the human brain, which can only keep track of about 7 things at a time max. Ok, instead of paper tick sheets, how about a phone app where a judge taps the screen every time they hear or see an error? Just tie it into the current automated recap system. This would also solve the current slotting problem. 2, 3, 4 corps with the same caption score? That's fine if that's what their error count really is.

Yup.

too much talking .

Also ranked 15th brass line and 15th in percussion are not helping .

I understand that the brass and percussion is holding them back but the judges do like the visual and I think that's pretty impressive. Too much talking does not interfere with the tremendous show visually they're preforming on the field.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom
  • Like 1

Sounds much more accurate than this opinionated (fraudulent) nonsense we have now in the execution captions. How can anyone ACCURATELY compare (remember) all the errors in an entire 11 minute performance they saw 5 or 10 or 25 or 36 corps ago with the current corps on the field? Not possible with the human brain, which can only keep track of about 7 things at a time max. Ok, instead of paper tick sheets, how about a phone app where a judge taps the screen every time they hear or see an error? Just tie it into the current automated recap system. This would also solve the current slotting problem. 2, 3, 4 corps with the same caption score? That's fine if that's what their error count really is.

...IIRC, they *tried* clickers...really easy to zero folks out, lol...but of course you'd just use the results as a way to rank. I think that's distracting to the evaluator, especially in visual where all aspects of the ensemble are rated. I'm an olde tic guy, even ran a sheet or two...I think the subjective method is a whole lot fairer, simply from the fact that the adjudicator isn't dividing his attention between a sheet and the performers, and is able to stand back and truly evaluate what's in front of him. The rub in this system is in assignment of numbers where the tendency to *not* spread is rampant. Drawbacks in either method for sure, but I tend to lean towards the judge(s) being professional and expert in his/her caption...and, above all, *trying* to do the job correctly. All that said, I wouldn't want to be on this years slate...no way Jose, heh...

Do the Cadets dare try the Maroon on Thursday night, and the Black Friday ( or vice versa), and see which scores better with everything cleaned up during the week. Then go with whichever scored better on Saturday. There's probably never been a corps in a position to be able to do this before, but we have one now.

For those interested in these things, I've prepared a combined recap for the two evenings of Allentown, despite my general disregard for combining scores from two different events/days - even with the same panel.

You'll find the "Allentown - Combined" show results on the DCP Scores page under August 1st at http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/scores/

-john

Wow. So Crown wins without taking gold in GE, Overall Vis, or Music. Fun season!

I don't have a great conspiracy theory to back this and I didn't see the Allentown show in person. But I am a little miffed at SCV's position. 2 points behind the leading 4 and 2 ahead of 6th. I think their GE should be up with the leaders. I am not exactly sure when they moved out of contention into this weird scoring position.

Do the Cadets dare try the Maroon on Thursday night, and the Black Friday ( or vice versa), and see which scores better with everything cleaned up during the week. Then go with whichever scored better on Saturday. There's probably never been a corps in a position to be able to do this before, but we have one now.

Ummmm.....no.

• Like 2