ALLENTOWN - Day 2

I had the same reaction, particularly to the ballad and the waltz. The movement detail disappears into the murk.

I just hope the lighting in the oil can alleviates some of this.

Perhaps the judges will not be swayed one way or another, but watching the feed from Allentown I found the black uniforms muted a lot of the spark in that show last night.

I'm relatively confident that it'll "pop" more inside the stadium due to the lighting in there. Things should look a lot better hopefully.

• Like 1

Wow, Cadets! Unbelievable show, start to fantastic finish!

But they won't win. They can't win.

This is my first time seeing those black unis, and they RUIN the show. I am so disappointed. All the big marching moments are LOST, and it doesn't "hide" any dirt.

Changing to those black uniforms is the biggest mistake in the history of drum corps, and I've been watching over 30 years, and I am a HUGE Cadets fan.

I'll elaborate later with specifics. I am re-watching Crown and Cadets before the feed goes black again, and going black is not a good thing.

Good lord. Armchair judging sure brings out the hyperbole.

• Like 1

wigwam, if the Colts show is ruined for you because of the talking I suggest you either get up and make a sandwich when the Colts perform or if you're actually at the performance (which I doubt) go get a hot dog. The "GE" is good, scores prove it! Most critiques given by attendees have been positive. See jwillis35's Reflections of the show last night! The show since San Antonio has changed and I believe, as many, it is a good show. If it's ruined for you, don't watch it, wigwam, it's as easy as that, no need to get your knickers in a knot.

Actually I was at the show and my knickers are completely unknotted. I hated all the talking and it ruined the show for me. If you liked it, thats fine with me.

Edited by wigwam

I wonder if this was the same sentiment when Bluecoats went to black, phantom went to black, crown went to black, etc.

I know, so many people love The Cadets apparently but wait to say anything until they find the latest thing to complain about so that they can say "was a great show/corps IF ONLY THEY DIDNT DO XYZ...". Funny... :-p

I think those suits torpedoed the Cadets GE

There's no scoring evidence of that, and perhaps there's evidence that it is helping.

A week ago in Atlanta, they wore the moroon and gold and were 3rd in GE and down by 0.65 from first in GE.

This weekend in Allentown, they wore black and were 3rd in GE and down by 0.2 from first in GE.

• Like 1

Until they get it right.

But it'll never be "right." It's assigning number values to the arts. It will always be a little arbitrary, a lot subjective and at least somewhat unsatisfying to *some*one.

This year, though, gives me hope. We have 4 different corps with 4 radically different shows, each in that corps' signature style, making a plausible case for the championship. If the current system makes it possible for such a diverse set of approaches to drum corps to each be viable, I'm for it.

Edited by saxfreq1128

and going black is not a good thing.

That's not how that saying goes...

• Like 3

Went back and re-watched Cadets. These color changes now highlight the weakest section and hides the two strongest sections. Why would you want to do that? It doesn't make sense. Mostly what i notice now is yellow neon arms flailing around. This does not say to me that this is a national champion drum corps. Weren't they in the lead a couple of weeks ago? Why would you want to screw that up?

They went through with a plan conceived in the winter/spring and put into motion before the season started, before any competitve results. I applaud them for creating a real hype and media around this, many of us have had a lot of fun with this. It's a show that already leaves you exhausted just watching it, and they're having fun with us along the way. So they did what they wanted to do -- and they cut their 0.7 deficit in Atlanta (in traditional uniform) down to 0.225 in Allentown (in black). Hmmm...

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 2

They went through with a plan conceived in the winter/spring and put into motion before the season started, before any competitve results. I applaud them for creating a real hype and media around this, many of us have had a lot of fun with this. It's a show that already leaves you exhausted just watching it, and they're having fun with us along the way. So they did what they wanted to do -- and they cut their 0.7 deficit in Atlanta (in traditional uniform) down to 0.225 in Allentown (in black). Hmmm...

...at their home regional in front of a very biased crowd. See, both sides can play that game!

...at their home regional in front of a very biased crowd. See, both sides can play that game!

*blink*. Yeah that really helped Crown in NC...This isn't a very fun game. Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 1