Lots of DCI fans have really enjoyed the Sacramento Mandarins in 2015. Some see a bright future for the corps, possibly contending for a finalist spot in the next few years.

How have you enjoyed the Mandarins this year?

Field Pass Podcast: Mandarins have 'The Edge' in 2015

Link to Field Pass: https://soundcloud.com/drum-corps-international/20150731-fieldpass

Edited by zerosixthirty

Lots of DCI fans have really enjoyed the Sacramento Mandarins in 2015. Some see a bright future for the corps, possibly contending for a finalist spot in the next few years.

How have you enjoyed the Mandarins this year?

A lot. Their music this season is fresh, new, creative. Its edgy, but with appealing brass arrangements. The percussion arrangements fit the theme and the music exceedingly well, imo. The props do what props are designed to do... add a laying to the show that complements, but does not detract from the brass, percussion playing. The visuals comport well with the theme, music. The Guard intergration into the visuals is appropriate and well done.The ending of their show ends just as this particularly themed show should end... with quiet, subtlety. Mandarins probably will not make finals, nor the cinema broadcast, but that has not detracted in the least from my enjoyment of their show this season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What a class act! The Mandarins won a lot of hearts last night!

I have always really liked the Mandarins. They are a great corps, and always have been. I think there have been several years where they have been underscored, and some of their shows have been overlooked. I remember them in the early 90s, performing a Doc Severinson Suite, and even though they probably only had around 20-30 horns, their sound was fantastic.

This year Mandarins have really stepped it up a notch, and it is great to see them with a higher number of members. With their performance level, I would currently rate them in 15th place, right behind Colts and Academy, and above Oregon Crusaders, Troopers, Crest and Spirit. And I think their show is just as good and even better in parts than Colts, Academy, Blue Stars and Crossmen. And I just love the show this year, and it it in my top 8 favorite shows of the year. I really hope they can keep the membership strong in the future, but large or small, Mandarins have always been a quality corps, regardless of placement. Best of luck to Mandarins at finals next week. I hope you have a huge crowd there to see your show, because I know you will turn some heads.

• Like 1