Final Finals Predictions!

Bluecoats are something to behold, and there's not a chance in hell it's going to be done any sort of justice on video. I loved every second of it. They may not win, but it will absolutely be the show everyone remembers, and will have enormous impact on what's possible in the future. I think it may be this generations' Star of Indiana 1993 as well...where bands and other corps try and copy it, failing miserably. Hopefully it won't have the wide-spread impact Star did, but that remains to be seen.

I think you hit the nail on the head perfectly.

I think you hit the nail on the head perfectly.

I hope other corps and bands look to 2015 Bluecoats for what it is...a demonstration of what's possible. Rather than copy them (I can't tell you how many "tilt" moments I judged last fall...ugh) they use the influence to try something new. If that happens, the legacy of this show will be a positive, not a negative (like Star 93 was, through through no fault of their own).

Bluecoats are just scratching the surface of what's possible, and I for one am so glad they had the balls to try it.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

The Blue Devils have the most insane program from a music analysis perspective. The staging situations listening environments they place their members in are absolutely staggering. I'll give you two examples:

1. about a third of the way into the program they have high brass on Side 1, far back in the corner of the field, with the low brass on side two midfield. They trade stabs back and fourth, and it's crazy clean.

2. The first chunk of the ballad, the brass spreads the field, and all face different directions. The sound is incredibly smooth, with absolutely no breaks...while they are all individually turning.

The only corps that's in the same league with Blue Devils in terms of music ensemble is the Bluecoats, who are doing some ridiculous things with field spread, horizontal and vertical alignment, and mesh with electronics. But the single most impressive thing they pull off is the tuba feature. They have the line split in half side to side, with the two segments layered vertically. Then they play a technical feature, with harmonized splits and absurdly clean trade-offs between the two groups. It's incredible.

I think the Blue Devils have more brass to percussion ensemble challenges as well, and that may be where they are lagging behind...they aren't *quite* as clean as Crown and Cadets are in that area (BD won't get full credit until it's achieved completely). If/when the Blue Devils are squeaky clean though, it's game over in music ensemble.

It's an often overlooked part of a show and I agree Devils are doing things very few corps would even attempt in this regard. What they're doing during the rifle tosses up and down the ladder is ridiculous. High brass and low brass separated by 50+ yards and they're moving. At one point the high brass is playing 16th note stabs and the low brass is doing a walking bass line. That's tough to line up in a horn arc, much less spread out almost 20 to 20. Insane.

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 1

I hope other corps and bands look to 2015 Bluecoats for what it is...a demonstration of what's possible. Rather than copy them (I can't tell you how many "tilt" moments I judged last fall...ugh) they use the influence to try something new. If that happens, the legacy of this show will be a positive, not a negative (like Star 93 was, through through no fault of their own).

Bluecoats are just scratching the surface of what's possible, and I for one am so glad they had the balls to try it.

Their staff deserves a ton of credit for the product they're putting out. Outstanding.

• Like 1

Crown coming from 2nd on Friday to win on Saturday, followed by BD, Cadets, and Bluecoats.

SCV as an island in 5th.

Cavaliers have a week to get themselves right with the big guy upstairs (the one cleaning drill). IF they can get themselves back on track, they still have an outside shot at 6th. BK's show is nice, but to my taste, the more you look, the less that meets the eye. PR is locked into 8th - if the spread tonight between them and Rosemont tonight or Monday has them within 1 point, maybe not, but otherwise, the weaknesses of the show weigh against it.

Then Madison, Boston, Crossmen/Blue Stars (pick 'em)

Edited by Slingerland

1) BD

2) Bluecoats

3) Crown / Cadets tie

5) SCV

6) BKnights

7) Phantom

8) Scouts

9) Cavs

10) Blue Stars

11) Boston

12) Crossmen

:cool:

Yeah yeah yeah, I have seen the almighty Carolina Crown this year.

Fact: They march approximately only 4 minutes and 26 seconds of their show. The rest is body and standing still. How does that stack up against lower corps who are marching 9 or 10 minutes of their 12 minute show? Time it yourself if you want lol

Because you have described Crown's visual with such specificity, can you do the same for the Blue Devils? Because that comparison I would love to see.

BD had an ultra clean well oiled show last year that deserved to win. This year....not so much IMO. It's missing something and def. feels like we have been there before with BD (Design wise).

1. BD-Better overall package

4. Crown- What a disappointing year for their content. Uber safe music, and only march just over 3 minutes of their show.

Interesting.....switch the names (BD and Crown) and that's about right.......IMO

Thanks for putting up predictions though...I just dont see it the way you do right now....

My predictions:

Its going to be close and I can only hope the best performing corps wins and the idea of 'Any corps on any given night can win' plays out.

Based on the shows (which I just saw in person the last two nights) I hope that either Crown or Bluecoats win it all....

5. Vanguard

6. Blue Knights

7. Phantom

8. Scouts

9. Cavaliers

10.Boston

11.Blue Stars

12.Crossmen

13. Troop

14. Red Team

15. Academy

Great year for drum corps...this is a year worthy of a top 15 in lieu of a top 12.

1-4 way too close to call. I will wait to see who is on the nightly panels as to who I predict each night. All four are deserving...who is judging Saturday night will make the difference. Certain judges=certain trends for certain corps in certain captions. Very easy to spot patterns with so much data available.

I agree.

And I volunteer a lot to help my former high school director, and I saw waaaaaay to many copies of Tilt (terribly implemented electronics, attempts to pitch bend, actual tilting). I think that if they take the essence of the show and use it as inspiration they can make it a good memory, like you said.

1: carolina Crown (really, I could see Crown, BD, and cadets end up in any of the three placements)

2: cadets

3: Blue Devils

4: Bluecoats

5: SCV

6: BK

7: Cavies (maybe coulda overtaken BK had they not gotten sick)

8: Phantom (Improved vastly over the season, just didnt seem to be enough to move up)

9: Madison

10: Crossmen

11: Boston

12: Blue Stars