Favorite shows of 2015

Early in the season, my favorites were:

Crown

Bloo

BD

At this moment, my favorites are:

Crown (simply the best show of 2015)

Bloo (cool, even if sometimes irritating noisy)

Madison (entertaining as all get out!)

Academy (Mary Poppins! Fun!)

Climbing up my favs list:

SCV (doing a little research on Tesla provides an improved understanding of the show and appreciation for the performance)

Phantom (brass and performance, once again, coming on strong to close the season)

Cavaliers (music is outstanding - though the I preferred the previous chord progression in the closer).

Cadets (Wow, after seeing them last night in Massillon - incredible!)

Losing steam;

BD (they were on my fav list early in the season. As a title contender, I don't think they've brought their show as far, and as well, as Crown, Cadets, and Bluecoats. But BD, being BD, will occupy one of the top 3 spots. They just are not a personal favorite of mine as much as the others above at late season.

• 3 weeks later...

Cadets

BD

Crown

Troop

Scv

Coats

Cadets

BD

SCV

The Cavaliers

BK

BAC

Madison Scouts

PR

Here is my list based on viewing the corps at:

• Innovations in Brass, Akron, 6/20
  • DCI Eastern Classic, Allentown, 7/31 & 8/1
  • TOC, Massillon, 8/3
  • Prelims & Semifinals, Indianapolis, 8/6 & 8/7

Bluecoats - I'm a Bluecoats homer, so naturally, they are on my list. However, when I first saw the show pre-season, I thought that they might have gone overboard with the electronics. When I saw it in Akron however, I was floored. It really needs to be seen live and in a large stadium for it to have the full effect of its design. Brilliant show. I love the direction that the Bluecoats have been going with their style.

Carolina Crown - When I saw this show in Akron, I was amazed at how complete and well performed it was. I wondered what they were going to work on the rest of the season. The opening hit was pure power. The changes and additions that they put in place throughout the season just built on that rock solid foundation. My only quibble was that I thought the addition of the white cover at the end of the show was just a bit too much. Same as Cadets tarps last year.

Blue Knights - I did not enjoy this show the first time I saw it. My mind kept waiting for an opening hit that never came and that kind of threw me for a loop. However, with each subsequent viewing, I fell more and more in love with this show. I have to say that I feel a genuine loss for not being able to see this live again. I loved last years show and this was a step up from that. Looking forward to the coming year to see what they bring to the table. They may be the next Crown/Bluecoats.

Colts - This is a show that has to be seen more than once to fully appreciate. The first time I saw it was at Allentown and my seat was down low near the narrators. I focused on them almost the entire show due to their proximity to our seats. The next two times I saw them, our seats were up near the high cam position at Lucas Oil. It is a completely different show from that perspective and already knowing the story made for a great viewing experience. In the past, I have thought that the Colts horns have been a bit too loud/brash. Not so the past few years. They have a really full and mature sound. I also thought that the singing worked very well in the show. I would not want singing and narration from every corps but the Colts did it very well and had a very entertaining result because of it. I hope that they can continue in this vein given that there will be significant staff changes.

Oregon Crusaders - Top to bottom I feel that this is a very mature corps both in design and execution. There are times when a lower ranking corps puts something in the show for the sake of difficulty or because the top corps are doing it and it just isn't executed well. In these cases, I find the addition to be more distracting than beneficial. Oregon does not make this common error. Everything in their show works well and is performed at the capability level of the members. If anything, I think the talent that the Crusaders have warrants a more demanding show next year. Again, I really like that direction that this corps is going.

Incidentally, my top five list for 2014 would be the same five corps. All five have had a really strong two-year run. Looking forward to three in a row.