Staff changes 2016

He went to BD for that one year to win a ring - but SCV won in '81.

Here's his I&E solo from '82 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUuJpWXyTFs

And this is Thurston's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhu1zw8Lhew

Thanks for these! This was back when the Crossmen looked like Madison. Interesting that both Robbie & Mark used slings.

I was going to say Jim Wren, but I don't know why he stopped writing for Regiment other than he's probably retired.. He's currently VP of the board. JD certainly carried the torch well, imho. I wish he could help with their arrangements from time to time.

JimWren

Brass Arranger/Caption Head, 1968-1999

Inducted in 1994

There is no one in the history of the Phantom Regiment more important than Jim Wren. On that, most can agree.

Jim was a charter member with the original Phantom Regiment and then, after the corps was forced to disband because of a fire, he was instrumental in reorganizing the corps in 1967, as a member of the corps' original Board of Directors.

At the same time, because the corps needed someone to head the brass program, he decided to teach himself as much about brass arranging and instruction as possible. Armed with a few arranging books from the Rockford Public Library and an inquisitive nature, he asked a lot of questions, got help and advice from some of the best, and within a few years, had created a brass program worthy of respect.

But it was perhaps Jim's musical choices that had the biggest impact on the Regiment and the drum corps activity as a whole. Playing classical music was a fairly experimental idea for drum corps in the days when Jim first started arranging music. Most corps were playing "the standards", or jazz, or rock, or "showtunes" of one sort or another. But Jim wanted to lead this corps in a different direction. Drawing on the scores of von Suppe, Mussorgsky, Shostakovich, Wagner and eventually many more, Jim began to change the sound of drum corps. And the Phantom Regiment got better and gained more respect each year.

By the late 1970's the Phantom Regiment was a favorite across the country and was threatening for the DCI title. The corps became known for "that sound" and together with fellow designers Marty Hurley, John Brazale, Dan Richardson and Norm Wheeler, Jim had created a monster.

The Regiment continued on through the 80's and 90's - through a few upturns and downturns, but always retained its DCI finalist status. And through it all, the one constant was Jim Wren. He continued pumping out great arrangements, training countless young students and instructors (and judges), and giving band directors a favorite place to send their kids.

In 1994 Jim was inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame and in 1996 the Regiment finally won its first DCI Championship, tying with the Blue Devils. At the end of the 1999 season, after 33 years as the brass arranger for the Phantom Regiment, Jim decided he had written enough.

Today, Jim continues his involvement as a member of the Phantom Regiment Board of Directors and a quiet counselor to the Regiment's current designers.

Read more:http://edu.regiment.org/about/hof.cfm#Wren#ixzz3hnjSSDxr

Wonderful article about a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I would love to see Mark Thurston come out of retirement and go back to the Crossmen - but that happening is about as likely as George Hopkins saying he was wrong about alternative instrumentation and electronics :augen51: .

As much as I would love to see that I think that ship has sailed. I'm really starting to dig what the Crossmen are doing these days. I hope they stick with the crew they have for next year. I think they took a bit of a leap this year and are on solid ground competitively.

As much as I would love to see that I think that ship has sailed. I'm really starting to dig what the Crossmen are doing these days. I hope they stick with the crew they have for next year. I think they took a bit of a leap this year and are on solid ground competitively.

That wasn't a stab at the current staff who I think are doing a very good job. It was more a wistful fantasy because Mark's writing was unique with a funky groove that I love and is missing from most if not all drum books these days.

I think you are right that the ship has sailed. I ran into Mark after finals in 2012 - we were on the same flight back to Philly. He has moved on with his life and there is no room in it for the demands of touring with a top 12 corps.

Edited by cf144

I would love to see Mark Thurston come out of retirement and go back to the Crossmen - but that happening is about as likely as George Hopkins saying he was wrong about alternative instrumentation and electronics :augen51: .

Depends on where the boy decides to march. Never say never

• Like 1

You know what the problem with this thread is?

It's long on this:

Who's staying? Who's going? Who should stay? Who should go?

But short on this:

Who's staying? Who's going? Who should stay? Who should go?

• Like 1

Historically, DCI Championships Week is where some people make their outreach, and connections in a more concerted effort way for the following season.

Jeez, can we enjoy 2015 before we launch into 2016 just yet though ?

Edited by BRASSO

INT is rumored to have some new tasty surprises in store for us for 2016.

I just hope its not all hype.

And I suppose that you are next going to try to convince us that INT is bringing in Mrs. Butterworth and Aunt Jemima for their pancake/waffle instruction.

And I suppose that you are next going to try to convince us that INT is bringing in Mrs. Butterworth and Aunt Jemima for their pancake/waffle instruction.

DCI used to have as one of its Corporate sponsors The Waffle House. How sweet was that ?

However, no matter what , I'd remind fans not to drink the Kool Aid at INT. There's simply too much hype, and way too many Kool Aid drinkers at INT for my tastes.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1