Staff changes 2016

Cavies brass has improved tremendously. The sound they've developed the past two years is a lot more favorable to my ears than the sound they had in the early 2000's

Yet the sound they had this year was 10th place and the sound they had in the early 2000's won brass. That same brass approach that they had in the early 2000's garnered Boston 9th place in it's first year of implementation. Irony.

I like the brass sound of both eras, but I just find it bizarre that the approach that so many people like better is the one that they've scored the lowest with in 30 years.

A new program coordinator and colorguard caption head, and percussion caption head may be needed. Not sure if anything else needs to be cleaned up.

Who is this for, Phantom or Cavaliers?

Who is this for, Phantom or Cavaliers?

Phantom. Though I guess that could be applied to both corps.

A lot of people are calling for a total overhaul of the Phantom organization and I think that's highly unnecessary. A new program coordinator is a must, in my opinion. Just to bring in a fresh mind full of ideas. Percussion and Guard are continually trending down, suggesting that a change would not hurt. Brass is staying steadyish, so I think some more time is needed along with a stronger program to work with. Visually in terms of drill, I think the design is pretty decent.

A lot of people are calling for Don Hill's head. He certainly isn't my favorite arranger, but he is not bad by any means. He has been given some pretty uninspired and overused pieces to work with, resulting in a lot of people comparing his arrangements with previous arrangements. Not exactly fair.

• Like 1

John MacKay, former head coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs, was once quoted as saying "it's a good idea" when asked about his team's execution. We'll see a few familiar names fade into the sunset this season while at the same time hearing new additions.

Close. He said, when asked about execution, "I'm in favor of it."

Yet the sound they had this year was 10th place and the sound they had in the early 2000's won brass. That same brass approach that they had in the early 2000's garnered Boston 9th place in it's first year of implementation. Irony.

I like the brass sound of both eras, but I just find it bizarre that the approach that so many people like better is the one that they've scored the lowest with in 30 years.

I think a lot of people find it hard to stomach the extremely textured sound of the early 2000's approach that Cavies had. Highly technical, very layered, and less depth in sound relative to other corps. So while there ARE issues with the hornline this past year and in 2014, I found both of those years to be quite refreshing as they are giving a better balance between texture and depth.

I can only trust that rumor if he's bringing Gaines with him!

Interesting enough, the rumors before Saucedo wen't to stars was that Gaines was the one going to Stars. Fairbanks out, Gaines and Saucedo back together at Stars?

Phantom. Though I guess that could be applied to both corps.

A lot of people are calling for a total overhaul of the Phantom organization and I think that's highly unnecessary. A new program coordinator is a must, in my opinion. Just to bring in a fresh mind full of ideas. Percussion and Guard are continually trending down, suggesting that a change would not hurt. Brass is staying steadyish, so I think some more time is needed along with a stronger program to work with. Visually in terms of drill, I think the design is pretty decent.

A lot of people are calling for Don Hill's head. He certainly isn't my favorite arranger, but he is not bad by any means. He has been given some pretty uninspired and overused pieces to work with, resulting in a lot of people comparing his arrangements with previous arrangements. Not exactly fair.

Ah, ok. I can appreciate all of that. There's a similar thing happening at the other Illinois corps. I'm not so sure there's a huge deal with the percussion section, but when I read your first comment, I was initially thinking about the Cavaliers until I saw percussion.

I think a lot of people find it hard to stomach the extremely textured sound of the early 2000's approach that Cavies had. Highly technical, very layered, and less depth in sound relative to other corps. So while there ARE issues with the hornline this past year and in 2014, I found both of those years to be quite refreshing as they are giving a better balance between texture and depth.

Well, let's be honest. A LOT of people complained that the old Cavalier approach ( that Boston is currently using, btw) wasn't loud enough.

For most people that are unhappy with the brass arrangements, it's not just a 2015 thing.

• Like 2

For most people that are unhappy with the brass arrangements, it's not just a 2015 thing.

Oh I know. But that goes back to my point that some of the music he was given didn't give him much to work with. Like.. Nimrod? Nessun Dorma? Organ Sympony? Claire de Lune? American in Paris? Soundtrack music from King Kong?

I'd really like to see what Don can do with some refreshing music that doesn't involve rehashes. I want to see what would happen if the design team threw something at Don similar in originality to 2010. If he still fails to make Phantom sound like Phantom, maybe it is time to part ways. But at least give the guy a chance.