Staff changes 2016

The only way "Phantom will sound like Phantom" is if they return to their traditional sound and musical selections from the mid to late Romantic through mid-Modern periods. "Classical Elegance" is their style, it's what they do best. IT'S WHAT THEY WON WITH. All top 10 corps are basically performing the same style and era of music they have been for the past 30 years. Those who have tried to reinvent themselves to resemble the corps at the top often end up going by the wayside.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this, and I sghould really dig into that last 30 years of shows, but my sense is that many of the top corps have evolved their style through the last 30 years. For instance, Blue Devils are not doing jazz the way they used to; Crossmen, Troopers, Boston, Blue Coats, Madison, Cavies are doing shows unlike what they had been over the last 30 years and none are really the worse for it. In fact, a few are improved (Boston, Cavies, Bluecoats) or have remained very successful (Cadets, Blue Devils). Over the last several (many) years there are two corps who have been the most consistently successful; Cadets and BD. Others have been up and down through the top 10 and that is not a problem. Even Crown has evolved thier shows (Rach Star to E=mc2) Maybe I am off, but this is the sense I get when I think back on what shows have been done.

Little Robbie aged out of Crossmen in '82...spent 1season at BD in '81.

Robbie's Dad was Crossmen's Corp Director, right? I aged out of Madison in 1981 & Robbie marched with BD in 1981 his age out year, & BD had an awful drum line that year...finished 9th if I remember correctly.

I am under the impression that Mark Sylvester left the Colts mid season. No idea why.

And I thought Marc was a consultant for Cadets in 2014, and he appeared in one or two Hopinars back then, but I haven't heard his name uttered from Cadetland since then.

It's interesting - after 2013, they made changes after their best season ever, presumably to elevate their status (added some BD names).

Same BD staff was helping them in 2012 & 2013 also. I do not think that has anything to do about it.

Don's been given more than enough chances, IMO.

Also, a good arranger can take any of those pieces, if we want to refer to them as rehashes, and put a quality product out there.

Look at all that were skeptical of SCV using Scheherazade last year thinking it couldn't live up to 2004, and the show was great.

I also think for PR, things run much deeper than brass arranging.

2014 SCV used a lot of the same arrangements as 2004. It's a little hard to go wrong when you're practically playing the same show.

And I thought Marc was a consultant for Cadets in 2014, and he appeared in one or two Hopinars back then, but I haven't heard his name uttered from Cadetland since then.

There was definitely some discussion - maybe in the 2014 season opener cinecast? - about how Hop & Sully had always wanted to do Lincoln Portrait, and he had come back to help realize it.

According to their website, he was a program consultant on 2015 Cadets (http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/staff) and program coordinator for Cadets' Winter Percussion (http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets-winter-perc/news/518-marc-sylvester-named-2015-cwp-program-coordinator). But I agree, I heard nothing about his involvement in this year's show.

There was definitely some discussion - maybe in the 2014 season opener cinecast? - about how Hop & Sully had always wanted to do Lincoln Portrait, and he had come back to help realize it.

According to their website, he was a program consultant on 2015 Cadets (http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/staff) and program coordinator for Cadets' Winter Percussion (http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets-winter-perc/news/518-marc-sylvester-named-2015-cwp-program-coordinator). But I agree, I heard nothing about his involvement in this year's show.

The only way Lincoln Portrait would work on a 100 yard stage is:

#1 they spend $250,000 to upgrade their current auctioneer quality loud speaker for something that resembles stereo phonics

#2 they hire James Earl Jones as the narrator

I'd be VERY happy if this happened. Would have auditioned there too if they were straight leg. I will never like and will never teach bicycle.

The Fiedler effect. I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers are still using the bicycle technique.

Personally, I like the precision, hip switch, style Vanguard used to have in '80s and very early '90s.

2014 SCV used a lot of the same arrangements as 2004. It's a little hard to go wrong when you're practically playing the same show.

... no...

Listen to both shows. 2 VERY different arrangements...

• Like 2