Staff changes 2016

The only way "Phantom will sound like Phantom" is if they return to their traditional sound and musical selections from the mid to late Romantic through mid-Modern periods. "Classical Elegance" is their style, it's what they do best. IT'S WHAT THEY WON WITH. All top 10 corps are basically performing the same style and era of music they have been for the past 30 years. Those who have tried to reinvent themselves to resemble the corps at the top often end up going by the wayside.

? I'm having trouble understanding this statement. Certainly not true with Bluecoats. Actually having trouble thinking of any of the top 10 that are doing this.

... no...

Listen to both shows. 2 VERY different arrangements...

I have. I wouldn't be making a statement like that without listening to them both. 2004 and 2014 are much akin to SCV 88 and 89 to me.

I have. I wouldn't be making a statement like that without listening to them both. 2004 and 2014 are much akin to SCV 88 and 89 to me.

I really disagree , too -- about SCV 04/14, not 88/89 (I agree that the two phantom of the opera shows we're very similar musically).

• Like 2

There was definitely some discussion - maybe in the 2014 season opener cinecast? - about how Hop & Sully had always wanted to do Lincoln Portrait, and he had come back to help realize it.

According to their website, he was a program consultant on 2015 Cadets (http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/staff) and program coordinator for Cadets' Winter Percussion (http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets-winter-perc/news/518-marc-sylvester-named-2015-cwp-program-coordinator). But I agree, I heard nothing about his involvement in this year's show.

Not sure if Sully is still a good fit in Cadetland. I think they should keep their current staff but bring in a new fresh artistic consultant to oversee the design process. I would adjust the guard staff too. They haven't been "great" in a long time. Edited by Tobias

Chuck Naffier announced on Facebook today that he won't be back with Colts next season.

In my eyes, a tremendous loss to the the Colt's Organization.

2014 SCV used a lot of the same arrangements as 2004. It's a little hard to go wrong when you're practically playing the same show.

I thought that 2014 arrangements sounded quite different than 2004 - different arrangers too, no?

• Like 1

wonder if he would go back to crossmen

Crossmen need a better horn book, IMO... when you play the same song as BK and BK has a better arrangement... well...

risky for them to have the same guy writing percussion and brass... does anyone else in DCI do that? Not sure it worked for them

Edited by soccerguy315

In my eyes, a tremendous loss to the the Colt's Organization.

It could be, but it also could be a chance to move in another direction that could lead to a top 12 finalist unit. Let's face it, the last two years have been good programs but not quite good enough to make the top 12. I'll put trust in the Colts management staff to find a good replacement and put together a great brass book for the students to succeed at.