Cadets, Back to Maroon and gold please?

How cool would it be if the Cadets solicit show ideas from alumni, fans, and MMs, and make the concept selection transparent enough to be democratic, and that way, it would be the community's show, rather than some guy's show?

Show design is a skill that should be taught to the MMs as part of the drum corps experience. Otherwise MMs are just programmed robots following someone else's artistic vision. When I suggested that on here, there was a bitter, caustic vitriolic backlash that spewed out from designers on here. It was just toxic. Their jealousy proves it's feasible.

If MMs attempted show design with the same passion for excellence that they put in their shows now, they'd have design concepts that would excel. And what judge wouldn't reward a corps with more points for a corps whose marching members generated at least part of the show concept. It's so authentic. So powerful. Same with brass and percussion arranging. Not completely generated by the MMs, but they should have a hand in it. Get experience with the creative process which right now they are completely pushed out of by megalomaniac designers.

That said, Cadet's I Believe show was a brilliant concept that had a flavor of the concept coming from the MMs. But it was lacking a strong writer/director to build in likability into the piece. A narrator character always must be set up with self-effacing humor to begin with. (Standup comedians and screenwriters always build this in to their characters at the top. But not in this one.) The Cadets' show had the narrator screaming and preaching at the audience "THIS I BELIEVE!" in reference to his rabid quest for excellence in the first 15 seconds. The audience didn't even have time to get a breath in to yell Shuddup! This is an example of show coordinators missing that writer/director consultant. Screenwriters and television writers and even theater directors do this sort of thing, day in, day out.

Edited by Channel3

Show design is a skill that should be taught to the MMs as part of the drum corps experience. Otherwise MMs are just programmed robots following someone else's artistic vision. When I suggested that on here, there was a bitter, caustic vitriolic backlash that spewed out from designers on here. It was just toxic. Their jealousy proves it's feasible.

If MMs attempted show design with the same passion for excellence that they put in their shows now, they'd have design concepts that would excel. And what judge wouldn't reward a corps with more points for a corps whose marching members generated at least part of the show concept. It's so authentic. So powerful. Same with brass and percussion arranging. Not completely generated by the MMs, but they should have a hand in it. Get experience with the creative process which right now they are completely pushed out of by megalomaniac designers.

I'm not a designer. I'm a college student that enjoys listening to drum corps.

I think you're missing the point of this activity which is to make the musicians better musicians (and the colorguard better dancers, spinners, actors, etc). I don't think this activity has ever been about teaching people how to design shows. If they want to learn to design shows, they can join the staff once they age out of the corps.

Smh who said it was supposed to be innovative? Do you have this "waste of time, waste of resources" argument about Bluecoats when they changed their uniform? How about when Crown changes theirs EVERY year? Or what about BD? Phantom? Scouts?

It's unbelievable how Cadets are held to a different standard than everyone else.

I agree, and totally get where you are coming from; but when you have an iconic uniform, when you're one of the most decorated drum corps in the history of the marching arts with 10 DCI titles, countless regional championships and top 3 finishes at Worlds, and when you have all those AL and VFW championships...well something tells me people will hold the Cadets to a different standard. Fair or not, it's just reality.

They are an easy target. I don't care for the black unis either, but I'm not going to pick on them. They always compete hard, entertain, place well, and their marching members learn a lot, perform amazingly well, and are treated to a summer of their lives. In the end, this is what it's about.

• Like 2

If you asked 100 fans in the stands to explain Garfield's show, not one of them would mention the 10th element in the periodic table. This is what show designers are designing to & around? I call that overthinking your show design. The black unis look awful.

How many could answer what "Dada" is? That didn't keep the BD from winning with that insane show.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the dark uniforms live, so I have no idea whether or not they work.

The one question I have is this: if this change was planned so long ago, why wouldn't you want the corps in these uniforms a bit earlier? Giving the MMs and judges time to sort of "get used to them" would be a good idea, I think. Introducing them this late in the season gives the impression that the addition is an attempt to give some kind of score bump "surprise" late in the season. I'm not saying that's the case, but it can be seen that way.

I have no doubt this move was planned out by the Cadets from the get-go, and they're getting too much crap for it. If they had won in Massillon last night, everyone on the Cadet staff would be hailed as a genius by the "gurus" on here. The fact that a uniform change is making some around here say that the upper staff for the Cadets must go is utterly absurd.

Good luck the rest of the way Cadets, I hope the look works for you in the end. As you can tell from the avatar, I'm far from being a Cadets homer.

• Like 3

This thread is pointless

They aren't going back

The black uniforms look good

The judges like them

The corps is dirty. If they get clean enough they could win. They should medal. If they don't get clean enough they could end in fourth

No matter the outcome the world won't end and they had a great season.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

Since the black is to highlight the neon colors, with neon being the 10th element in the periodic table, that would sort of screw up that connection.

Really??

I can't help but feel that this years Cadets show has been over analyzed just as much as any Stanley Kubrick film.

Really??

I can't help but feel that this years Cadets show has been over analyzed just as much as any Stanley Kubrick film.

I think that's true of any top four show of any year these days, actually.

• Like 2

Back in the day ,it was often said that the Cadets' uniform gave them an advantage over the competition. When I heard that a change was coming I had hoped it would be more radical and more in the direction of Blue Knihts design heeping the colors.

Wow. I actually like the Cadets most years, I apologize for having an opinion.