Quickly from Massillon

What a night! HUGE crowd (HS stadium) came to see 7 of the top 8 or 9 corps of the season. We sat fairly high, and the sound was incredible!

The Cavaliers have improved immensely. I still find the guard's headgear distracting, the the uniform is as, uh, er, tight as "Spin Cycle." If there's a negative, it's their lack of presence. Even the Blue Devils never won 5 titles in a decade. Cavies have, but that is but a memory now.

Phantom sounded better than what I've read here. Again, all the hornlines could be felt by my toes. The Paris thing isn't fully realized, but the production is still a blast to watch and hear. 7th in guard? It's a strong year.

Is this the Blue Knights' most talented corps ever? Maybe. Another theme just a bit out of reach, but the corps is probably looking at a comfortable 6th place finish this weekend. They drum really well (beat CC tonight).

This might be my favorite Santa Clara corps in quite a while. Although an obvious drop-off from tonight's top-3, it's a very creative production. Not only have they pushed the button regarding lighting, they BUILT it. What a blast.

Bloo is what it is. Wildly popular, creative, loud, exciting. They own the field like no other this year and could easily medal. They make me hate electronics much less. :music:

Cadets: first viewing of that uniform is a bit of a shock. The guard was much better then I thought. After seeing some of their scores this year, I thought it might distract, but it did not. The brass and percussion are outrageous. Really. As it's going, they could medal or be #4. Has there ever been a 4th place corps this good?!?

Crown pulled in the crowd wonderfully tonight. Inferno makes so much more sense now, and it is SO exciting and SO accessible! The guard is just brilliant. BD's 7-year stronghold on that trophy is in jeopardy. Bad luck following Cadets, drumwise. That was obvious. They have that rich, luscious sound but still lost Brass to Cadets who move SO much more frenetically. Interesting!

The real topic of discussion is the fact that the top 4 corps will go head to head (to head to head) 3 nights in a row. Really, anything can happen. Cadets' music is almost too good for 4th; who doesn't medal? 'Coats? It won't be BD. Maybe a tie in there like tonight will satisfy. Well, not for #1. :shutup:

• Like 5

Nice review! I honestly believe there will be a tie in 2nd or 3rd place, putting all top 4 in medal position -- at least for one of the nights. :)

Nice review! I honestly believe there will be a tie in 2nd or 3rd place, putting all top 4 in medal position -- at least for one of the nights. :)

The nice lady in front of us asked me how many judges were "responsible for the tie." When I said 8, she immediately told me that an odd number would assure no ties. NOW I understand Common Core. :dry:

• Like 2

The nice lady in front of us asked me how many judges were "responsible for the tie." When I said 8, she immediately told me that an odd number would assure no ties. NOW I understand Common Core. :dry:

I had to help explain to the old folks behind me what the guys in green shirt and brown pants were doing on the field and why we could hear them talking during the show sometimes. Edited by Crownfan33
  • Like 1

Actually, depending on the judging system that could be true.

Actually, depending on the judging system that could be true.

Well, the current one implemented in 2000 is comprehensively the best DCI has had. No matter who is doing what, s/he has two ten point subcaptions. Period. 10+10. In the early days of buildup, some had 5+5+5; some 4+3+3. Then there was the dreaded 10+5+5.

Most are probably not math teachers (though one with major imput in 2000 IS a math teacher), but assigning numbers (rating) is easier and more consistent now. Some visual judges see GE, Proficiency, Analysis, Guard over a season. Though the sheets change, the # management does not.

I've said this before: had we used this system in 1988 and 1989 (the foul 6-judge system), Madison might have lost to SCV ('88) and SCV might have lost to Phantom ('89).

(And BD would almost certainly have beaten Garfield in 1984.)

Edited by Tad_MMA

Well, the current one implemented in 2000 is comprehensively the best DCI has had. No matter who is doing what, s/he has two ten point subcaptions. Period. 10+10. In the early days of buildup, some had 5+5+5; some 4+3+3. Then there was the dreaded 10+5+5.

Most are probably not math teachers (though one with major imput in 2000 IS a math teacher), but assigning numbers (rating) is easier and more consistent now. Some visual judges see GE, Proficiency, Analysis, Guard over a season. Though the sheets change, the # management does not.

I've said this before: had we used this system in 1988 and 1989 (the foul 6-judge system), Madison might have lost to SCV ('88) and SCV might have lost to Phantom ('89).

(And BD would almost certainly have beaten Garfield in 1984.)

If one didn't know the judging system, then one could conclude an ordinal system with two competing groups would never result in a tie if there was an odd number of judges. For example, if there were 8 judges and group A received 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2 and group B received 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2 there would be a tie. But as soon as another score is added, there can not be a tie (assuming no single judge assigns a tie). But if there were more than two competing groups, there could be a possibility of a tie. For example with three judges, group A received 1, 3, 3 and group B received 2,1,4 would be a tie.