Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

I saw this addressed somewhere yesterday. If one of the international corps qualified for semifinals (they didn't), they would not bump an in compliance DCI corps. There would just be an extra corps in semis.

Very interesting, I didn't know that.

I think it's fantastic that more true international corps are traveling here. It used to be that "international" was the US and Canada. :cool:

+++

Related, I would love to see one of the good Japanese drum corps travel here.

One thing struck me tonight while watching the Cadets. Over the past couple of years, there has been a semi-popular DCP game (especially applied to Crown) which has gone something like "how many notes do you have to stuff into a piece of music until it becomes too many?" It occured to me tonight that the same could also be asked "How many ticks on the metronome can you ramp up your tempo before it becomes too fast?" Yes, it is impressive to think of marching 226 beats per minute. But at what point will it simply become "speed for nothing other than the sake of speed?" Not saying it's wrong...just a thought I had....

You can apply the "X for the sake of X" argument to any caption. Which is a good reason to ignore it :-) If you're going to criticize a corps for something, shouldn't you have at least some sort of rational argument against it?

In the case of Cadets, if I were to attempt to make that argument rationally, I might say the program "lacks variety of effect" or something similar.

We should at least TRY to talk about the captions in the right language. Otherwise it's about as sensible as:

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

video of said infraction was supplied to DCI personnel. Per the rules...well.... you have to enforce it.

Which begs the question... who turned them in?

• Like 2

Yeah, it begs more than a few questions, doesn't it?

For instance, I didn't know DCI enforces the rules using instant replay.

• Like 1

No one except the DCI roving committee folk supervising the park.

Oregon Crusaders also got hit. Phantom Regt. was said to have been hit several seasons back. It's not a new or unusual policy at championships. They also have DCI "secret police" standing at the field gates actually counting how many members take the field so that no one has more than 150. Happens every year.

Ah! I learned something today, so thank you. I will rephrase: "Which raises the question... who turned them in?"

video of said infraction was supplied to DCI personnel. Per the rules...well.... you have to enforce it.

Enquiring minds want to know...haha

No one except the DCI roving committee folk supervising the park.

Oregon Crusaders also got hit. Phantom Regt. was said to have been hit several seasons back. It's not a new or unusual policy at championships. They also have DCI "secret police" standing at the field gates actually counting how many members take the field so that no one has more than 150. Happens every year.

While this makes sense at face value, why was there a video turned in, and to whom? I would assume that if there were roving DCI folk that they could enforce such a violation without need of video. (I realize I am making assumptions, just curious is all).

Hawthorne Muchachos.

• Like 7