Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

Yeah, it begs more than a few questions, doesn't it?

For instance, I didn't know DCI enforces the rules using instant replay.

9go9d9B.png

• Like 1

Hawthorne Muchachos.

Win.

• Like 3

You can apply the "X for the sake of X" argument to any caption. Which is a good reason to ignore it :-) If you're going to criticize a corps for something, shouldn't you have at least some sort of rational argument against it?

In the case of Cadets, if I were to attempt to make that argument rationally, I might say the program "lacks variety of effect" or something similar.

We should at least TRY to talk about the captions in the right language. Otherwise it's about as sensible as:

First, I said "one thing that struck me while watcing the Cadets." Maybe I didn't word that as precisely as I should, nor as politically correctly. It was not meant to be individually perjorative of the Cadets organization. They are not the only Corps performing at greater and greater speed with each passing year. Second, it was not said to attack any specific caption. Again, it was merely a personal response regarding the musical variable of tempo. You may also wish to reread the original post, where I stated that this whole question has been a "semi-popular sport" on DCP over the past couple of years. In this vein, I still hold to my original rhetorical thought: that being, does there become a point where there is little difference between the greatest number of "ticks on the metronome" and "specks of fly crap on the musical page."? It was merely an observational thought...nothing more, and nothing less.

Edited by HornTeacher

While this makes sense at face value, why was there a video turned in, and to whom? I would assume that if there were roving DCI folk that they could enforce such a violation without need of video. (I realize I am making assumptions, just curious is all).

I personally don't know any further info. But I would not be surprised that DCI committee would document in whatever way necessary in order to turn their evidence and conclusion into Tony DiCarlo and the Inquisitors so as to negate protests; the campus is quite large and Tony isn't everywhere.

Hmm, I guess you are saying the Periscopes work both ways.

Edited by xandandl

I personally don't know any further info. But I would not be surprised that DCI committee would document in whatever way necessary in order to turn there evidence and conclusion into Tony DiCarlo and the Inquisitors so as to negate protests and because the campus is quite large and Tony isn't everywhere.

Hmm, I guess you are saying the Periscopes work both ways.

Heh. :) Good point about documenting it as well. I am sure that BD (or OC) won't make that mistake again.

The BDs music writing playing and overall sound is so mature and beyond all the other corps is simply amazing. It is mind boggling to me that the judges don't hear this.

In fact their entire show design is in a league all its own

Look, I get a few of you really like BD and this year's show. So do I, but to say their show design is in a league of their own is silly. BD executes at the highest level every year and 2015 is no exception yet the corps hasn't dominated anyone. The top 4 have been on each other for a while now. Given BD's execution, if their show design was that much better than the Cadets, Crown or Bluecoats wouldn't they be winning like last year? I'm trying real hard to not let bias influence me and I, like all of us, fail at times. I think everyone who is trying to claim BD is on a higher plane of existence this year needs to step back. Last year, their execution was beyond their peers and their placement/score reflected that. This year it simply isn't as overwhelming.

Edited by caliswift
  • Like 3

First, I said "one thing that struck me while watcing the Cadets." Maybe I didn't word that as precisely as I should, nor as politically correctly. It was not meant to be individually perjorative of the Cadets organization. They are not the only Corps performing at greater and greater speed with each passing year. Second, it was not said to attack any specific caption. Again, it was merely a personal response regarding the musical variable of tempo. In this vein, I still hold to my original rhetorical thought: that being, does there become a point where there is little difference between the greatest number of "ticks on the metronome" and "specks of fly crap on the musical page."? It was merely an observational thought...nothing more, and nothing less.

My opinion is that "drill demand' is not awarded like it used to be BITD when tempos were pushed to the envelop by certain corps...I love the Cadets and their show screams Cadets Badassness...but also agree with your opinion about fastest tempo and most notes...at some point it becomes pointless IMO.

First, I said "one thing that struck me while watcing the Cadets." Maybe I didn't word that as precisely as I should, nor as politically correctly. It was not meant to be individually perjorative of the Cadets organization. They are not the only Corps performing at greater and greater speed with each passing year. Second, it was not said to attack any specific caption. Again, it was merely a personal response regarding the musical variable of tempo. You may also wish to reread the original post, where I stated that this whole question has been a "semi-popular sport" on DCP over the past couple of years. In this vein, I still hold to my original rhetorical thought: that being, does there become a point where there is little difference between the greatest number of "ticks on the metronome" and "specks of fly crap on the musical page."? It was merely an observational thought...nothing more, and nothing less.

I understand the point you're making and i was trying to address the trend you observed above.

My point was that making the "X for the sake of X" argument isn't really an argument at all. Its a tautology.

IOW

My opinion is that "drill demand' is not awarded like it used to be BITD when tempos were pushed to the envelop by certain corps...I love the Cadets and their show screams Cadets Badassness...but also agree with your opinion about fastest tempo and most notes...at some point it becomes pointless IMO.

I thought they were great. I realy love that piece of music.