Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

Weirdly enough the biggest effect from this program (for me, at least) is kind of tied to nostalgia. This program is "The Cadets being the Cadets" and that's mostly why I like it. If I had never seen the Cadets, I'm not sure it would have nearly the same impact on me.

It's certainly "Cadets being Cadets" - this is probably the closest we're ever going to come to seeing 90's Cadets awesomeness on the field again. What's been interesting for me is the chance to see it side by side with very modern DCI shows. It helps to take the nostalgia factor away and really points out what we've gained in visual and effect vocabulary in recent years.

• Like 1

I think the effect gets diuted if they do too much of it. The parts that work the best are the opener and closer, but when they ramp up the crazy in the Waltz part, it is like getting continuously punched in the face until you glaze over. BD, Crown and Bluecoats have more variety of pacing so when they step up the speed, you can really focus on it.

You nailed it!

One thing struck me tonight while watching the Cadets. Over the past couple of years, there has been a semi-popular DCP game (especially applied to Crown) which has gone something like "how many notes do you have to stuff into a piece of music until it becomes too many?" It occured to me tonight that the same could also be asked "How many ticks on the metronome can you ramp up your tempo before it becomes too fast?" Yes, it is impressive to think of marching 226 beats per minute. But at what point will it simply become "speed for nothing other than the sake of speed?" Not saying it's wrong...just a thought I had....

Well but it's not as if they made up that speed. Dudamel was already conducting it that way. And that The Cadets pull it off is freakin fantastic. And to me, the ending of 2007 felt faster and more out of control than this year.

• Like 1

It's certainly "Cadets being Cadets" - this is probably the closest we're ever going to come to seeing 90's Cadets awesomeness on the field again. What's been interesting for me is the chance to see it side by side with very modern DCI shows. It helps to take the nostalgia factor away and really points out what we've gained in visual and effect vocabulary in recent years.

oh good grief

OrlandoContraAlum, on 07 Aug 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:snapback.png

Which begs the question... who turned them in?

Hawthorne Muchachos.

Haha! There's an obscure reference to a bygone era! :augen51:

Dinosaurs everywhere know what you mean. :cool:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

So....I'm sure you know that by posting this list, it's pretty obvious you didn't enjoy Crown or BK....two stellar shows (and my two favorites, oddly enough).

I wasn't enthralled or moved by either BD or Cadets, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I didn't even ENJOY their shows...they're clearly talented. What's your reasoning here? Bias?

I'll review them then.

Blue Devils - I really like Into the Woods, all of the references make sense and the performance level is just top notch.

Cadets - First show I've liked from them in a while, because the Cadets style should be in your face loud and fast. Really enjoy the ending.

Crown - Not huge on the show, brass isn't as brilliant or as clean as most years for them. I love love love their color guard, couple of unfortunate multicast drops but whatever. Drums are ok-ish. Visually not that appealing to me, but I will say they are much better than they have been from marcher to marcher.

Blue Knights - To me the show reads as one note, no ups no downs. Also I think that Crossmen play Fly to Paradise with more impact. The show just reads to me as because nothing.

Now don't misconstrue this to me not liking corps. There are some shows from Crown and BK that I like. Crown 04, 09, and 12 and BK 11.

Hawthorne Muchachos.

Priceless...absolutely priceless. Well played, Sir. :colgate:

By the way...BRASSO's response of "Hawthorne Muchachos" has made me wonder...was the original "Dr. Beat" called a "Dr. Cheat"?

By the way...BRASSO's response of "Hawthorne Muchachos" has made me wonder...was the original "Dr. Beat" called a "Dr. Cheat"?

especially when four small versions of the instrument (which pulsed by light) were put into the podium platform of certain drum majors who looked to a different corner for each song of the show.

I think DCI has cracked down on the practice although I don't know it to be specifically banned by any current ruling in 'the book'. Should be, in the spirit of fair competition.

Edited by xandandl

This year has been amazing in terms of shows that appeal to my drum corps senses. Up and down the line, I love way more than I don't love. That is a great sign for the future.

As I watched in the theater last night, watching all of the corps in succession, I was blown away by the contrast in styles across the board. From a Madison and Phantom and even Cavaliers, with shows that use fewer props, to Blue Stars and BAC, and others using a lot of props. The contrast in styles, and the overall high level of execution is pretty #### amazing and really makes me care less about scores.

Last year there was a crazy old man that thought he should use a complaint to the IRS as a threat to Dan Acheson in order to bring DCI back to the "old days". I followed these maroons on Facebook purely because it is highly entertaining to see the garbage they come up with each day. They contend that "back in the day, you could close your eyes and you would know who was on the field by the style of music and the way they played", and you cant do that anymore. They could not be more wrong. I could pick them all out by just listening last night, but watching is so much better!! Because each corps does this differently......and it is awesome!

Just felt like typing this morning. Enjoy the next two days everyone. It is going to be exciting!!!