Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

I listen to old DCI shows all the time. I own the Legacy cd's and have every Finals show from 1972 to 2006. I just listen, because I'm at work, or in the car, or doing yard work and can't watch. Within the last 10 years, it became less enjoyable because the sound went from 95% of a show to about 50%. I walked out of the Ga Dome in 2011 pi**ed because I didn't enjoy any of the music from the top corps. Well, the sport has fully transitioned to where you HAVE to see a show to really enjoy it, and that's a GOOD thing! If it detracts from the live performance to make the show "listenable" years later, then don't worry about it. What DCI has become is EXACTLY why the original 7 broke away from the VFW/American Legion and their iron fist of rules and requirements. These kids are creating ART... #### good art. It's a multimedia age and DCI is embracing it 100%! I cannot believe the level of performance and achievement this year all the way through the top 15, and they're not the same styles. Everyone is different and that's amazing!

If you prefer the old stuff, do what I do and buy the cd's and dvd's and play them from September through May. Come June though, whip out the credit card, buy yourself some tickets and see it live, even if it's in a theater. You can still fondly remember what drum corps was... but to not embrace what it has become is just a waste.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Edited by corpsband

Did you not see signs in the theater to not use your cell phone? Inconsiderate people like you ruin it for other people. We don't want to see your distracting phone screen lit up and your thumbs flying around 100 keys/second. They paid $ to see the show. Who are you to decide what others can watch without distractions? You sound like an egocentric brat.

I don't text. I don't own a smartphone. But someone texting only distracts you if you actively seek to be distracted (hopefully not going further and feigning some kind of offense). Simply look the other way.

Edited by Tim Coffey

I don't text. I don't own a smartphone. But someone texting only distracts you if you actively seek to be distracted (hopefully not going further and feigning some kind of offense). Simply look the other way.

It depends on the screen brightness of the phone. Many psychological experiments would disagree with you that a person using a cellphone or laptop in front of you is not distracting.

That's gold right there!

No one except the DCI roving committee folk supervising the park.

Oregon Crusaders also got hit. Phantom Regt. was said to have been hit several seasons back. It's not a new or unusual policy at championships. They also have DCI "secret police" standing at the field gates actually counting how many members take the field so that no one has more than 150. Happens every year.

Been at a lot of shows and a lot of field gates, and this is one of the more silly things I have seen. Never seen any DCI secret 150 police. I have seen DCI staff checking credentials many times.

That being said, your "secret police" connotation is strange. Dont we want our governing body policing the rules? See: NFL, Brady. Also, I understand that the DCI blue shirt team is largely current and former music educators and DCI Alumni who probably want nothing less than the best for the kids, but who are there to do what DCI asks them to do.

From what I hear, the park incident was reported to DCI staff by another corps staff, along with accompanying cell phone evidence. It is DCIs job to create a level playing field as much as possible, and the corps were told in Wednesdays meeting that amplified Dr Beat would be an infraction and penalized, no questions asked.

Edited by Lead

Been at a lot of shows and a lot of field gates, and this is one of the more silly things I have seen. Never seen any DCI secret 150 police. I have seen DCI staff checking credentials many times.

That being said, your "secret police" connotation is strange. Dont we want our governing body policing the rules? See: NFL, Brady.

From what I hear, the park incident was reported to DCI staff by another corps staff, along with accompanying cell phone evidence. It is DCIs job to create a level playing field as much as possible, and the corps were told in Wednesdays meeting that amplified Dr Beat would be an infraction and penalized, no questions asked.

I have been on the DCI contest committee for major shows going back as early as the first two Whitewaters..

Some are assigned to duties which you find uncomfortable. I used 'secret police' as tongue-in-cheek for those with problems with rules, authority, etc. Other DCP posters have been complaining; please read the threads.

Committee members do their work quietly and without a lot of fanfare. Often they make the championships and regionals work and never get to see the corps perform. They should be congratulated for their gift of volunteer hours.

Which begs the question... who turned them in?

someone that would have placed below them otherwise

my moment is Dennis admitting he can't follow more than one stage at a time. Not a good thing for a well known GE judge to say

• Like 1