Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

All the focus is on the top, however I think some HUGE congratulations are in for two corps in the lower ranks of the top 25:

Legends. I remember watching their awesome Edmund Fitzgerald show a few years ago and thinking "Hey, they could go places!". And they did. They took a MASSIVE step forward this year. They're still the easy to get, fun, energetic Open Class corps that I enjoy every year, but this year they matured. A lot. Their brass is fantastic this year, percussion is solid, guard is great, and the show is simple, fun, and not trying too hard. HUGE congratulations to you guys on an AMAZING 10th Anniversary this year, congratulations on being voted the most improved Open Class corps this year, congratulations to Ibe on being voted Open Class director of the year, and congratulations on a VERY well deserved first ever Semifinals performance today! KILL IT!

Cascades. When I saw the show in June, I knew it'd be special this year. Again, simple, fun, entertaining, and not over the corps heads. Brassline doubled this year and they sounded great. Solid Drumline. Improving and growing guard. It's hard to believe this is the shrinking, 8 guard, forgettable corps that was there in 2013. Scratch that. They're not. This new staff has transformed them into a corps to watch in the coming years. Black Hole Sun/Jupiter Ballad = one of my my favorite ballads this year. WELL DESERVED! Have a great show today, you earned it!

:ninja:

Now THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

A+ for creativity - it almost makes us dinosaurs happy!!

Pat

My opinion is that "drill demand' is not awarded like it used to be BITD when tempos were pushed to the envelop by certain corps...I love the Cadets and their show screams Cadets Badassness...but also agree with your opinion about fastest tempo and most notes...at some point it becomes pointless IMO.

there';s more to visual demand that running around at 210bpm.

• Like 1

Weirdly enough the biggest effect from this program (for me, at least) is kind of tied to nostalgia. This program is "The Cadets being the Cadets if they wore black" and that's mostly why I like it. If I had never seen the Cadets, I'm not sure it would have nearly the same impact on me.

edited for correctness

What was it that Admiral Yamamoto supposedly said immediately following Pearl Harbor?? Something like "I'm afraid all we have done is awake a sleeping giant"? Hmmm....

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

There's no proof he actually said this, but given his understanding of US manufacturing capabilities and resources at the time, it certainly outlines his belief.

He also told his superiors he would run wild in the Pacific for 6 months, but after then, he could guarantee nothing. The Battle of Midway WAS, in fact, 7 months after Pearl Harbor, and was a resounding defeat for the IJN.

genius

People who say Colts "covered up the corps with all that talking" need to get their ears/heads checked...there is plenty of meat in that show

There can still be meat to a show and still have it covered up.

Look at Cadets 2014.