Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

You can apply the "X for the sake of X" argument to any caption. Which is a good reason to ignore it :-) If you're going to criticize a corps for something, shouldn't you have at least some sort of rational argument against it?

In the case of Cadets, if I were to attempt to make that argument rationally, I might say the program "lacks variety of effect" or something similar.

We should at least TRY to talk about the captions in the right language. Otherwise it's about as sensible as:

I SO thought about that Amadeus scene, too.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

There's no proof he actually said this, but given his understanding of US manufacturing capabilities and resources at the time, it certainly outlines his belief.

He also told his superiors he would run wild in the Pacific for 6 months, but after then, he could guarantee nothing. The Battle of Midway WAS, in fact, 7 months after Pearl Harbor, and was a resounding defeat for the IJN.

Thanks;, 84BDsop. My citation was slightly off -- but at 2:12 A.M., I think I may be forgiven that little snafu. And yes, I do know that the veracity of the quote has often been suspect. it's just that it was the first thing which occurred to me when you opined that, based on last night's results, BD would have additional resolve.

I don't text. I don't own a smartphone. But someone texting only distracts you if you actively seek to be distracted (hopefully not going further and feigning some kind of offense). Simply look the other way.

You too are being egocentric, meaning you think everyone perceives things the same way you do. Just because it doesn't bother you you seem to think that everyone can just ignore a bright screen in their peripheral vision in a dark theater.

• Like 1

I find it quite amusing all the critics are out now complaining that the Cadets play too much..march too fast..have too much going on... after a few years of listening to the same people complain that they need to go back to what they did years ago lol...DCP to be honest, really has no value to drum corps except offering a place for supposed "Experts" to vent and try to show how much they really don't know about drum corps lol. People insult, get insulted,vent, annoy, attack total strangers opinions because they have to be right. I am glad the season is almost over and as much as I will miss some of the conversations I have had with some of you I will not miss the people who seem to hunt down people to prove a point over..and over..and over again lol. Best season I can remember in a while and very proud of all these kids, staff and volunteers who worked their butts off all season to bring us the most exciting season in a while. Staying with friends in indy so saved mucho bucks...enjoy. :cool::shutup::silly::grouphug:

• Like 3

You too are being egocentric, meaning you think everyone perceives things the same way you do. Just because it doesn't bother you you seem to think that everyone can just ignore a bright screen in their peripheral vision in a dark theater.

They said it was between shows, who cares? That's when people started talking to each other about the show, getting up to get drinks/bathroom.. all of those things are way more distracting than someone texting.. but again, between the shows.

I lost it at,

"How hard is it to understand INK?"

[scene change to a woman quietly weeping outside] "It's ok honey, none of us get it either."

• Like 2

Preface: up until DCI SWern, it had been 15yrs since I had been to a competition. And I pretty much stopped following once electronics were allowed. Soft spot for the Cavaliers. Roommate in college was a snare 01 - 03. Scouts 96 is my most-watched show. BD 2000 is the most listened to. Anywho, that said, these were the notes I made following each of the performances last night...as I was sitting in a theater. No one tapped me on the shoulder to ask me to leave. I'll save my opinion of electronics for another time.

Madison Scouts - top 10. Nothing has changed. Still fun.

The Cavaliers - super technical all over. Think that's the problem.

Phantom Regiment - opener is awesome. Fantastic. Top 8. Hope they didn't blow it in prelims.

Blue Knights - just....weird. It's like a dream sequence. not feeling it. still.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Bluecoats and Cadets need to watch out. These guys could end up 3rd or 4th. Fantastic all around.

Bluecoats - I'd say they're a couple years ahead of everyone else in regards to electronics and playing with sound. Need surround sound or a live performance to really get the effect they're after. Pretty impressive. Corps have come a long way.

Carolina Crown - wow. Just.....wow. That was a killer performance.

The Cadets - not a winning show. I'd put them close to Bluecoats. Behind Crown.

Blue Devils - winner. maybe.

I've seen the scores, but not the breakdown. I'm really surprised there's a substantial gap on both sides of SCV. After Southwestern, I picked BD to win finals and Crown/ Cadets to be fighting for 2nd. Sticking to that. Though, it seems like while BD and Crown have made substantial progress, the Cadets have plateaued. Maybe it's the black. I'm pulling for an upset of the top 3 by SCV.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

There's no proof he actually said this, but given his understanding of US manufacturing capabilities and resources at the time, it certainly outlines his belief.

He also told his superiors he would run wild in the Pacific for 6 months, but after then, he could guarantee nothing. The Battle of Midway WAS, in fact, 7 months after Pearl Harbor, and was a resounding defeat for the IJN.

I bet you're super fun at parties.

I listen to old DCI shows all the time. I own the Legacy cd's and have every Finals show from 1972 to 2006. I just listen, because I'm at work, or in the car, or doing yard work and can't watch. Within the last 10 years, it became less enjoyable because the sound went from 95% of a show to about 50%. I walked out of the Ga Dome in 2011 pi**ed because I didn't enjoy any of the music from the top corps. Well, the sport has fully transitioned to where you HAVE to see a show to really enjoy it, and that's a GOOD thing! If it detracts from the live performance to make the show "listenable" years later, then don't worry about it. What DCI has become is EXACTLY why the original 7 broke away from the VFW/American Legion and their iron fist of rules and requirements. These kids are creating ART... #### good art. It's a multimedia age and DCI is embracing it 100%! I cannot believe the level of performance and achievement this year all the way through the top 15, and they're not the same styles. Everyone is different and that's amazing!

If you prefer the old stuff, do what I do and buy the cd's and dvd's and play them from September through May. Come June though, whip out the credit card, buy yourself some tickets and see it live, even if it's in a theater. You can still fondly remember what drum corps was... but to not embrace what it has become is just a waste.

I am "old school", but I appreciate what is going on today. Some of the electronics are too much for me I admit. Bluecoats for example. They are awesome, and that show is ground breaking for todays standards. But it looses me when I can't determine if I am hearing the horn line acoustically or through one of the electronic samples they use. Now, in some respects, I am sure that is exactly what they are going for. Make it so seamless that it is hard to determine the acoustic vs electronic. To me, that takes away from the experience because I still love to hear that beautiful brass line live and in my face. But I still appreciate what they do and it certainly wont stop me from watching that amazing show!

So, I agree with you totally. I love the past, and love what they are doing today.

• Like 2