Attenance (Interest?) Up - What's the Next Step

I think DCI needs to recognize that this is an entertainment product that could reach far beyond the built-in base of former corps members, family of present corps members, and the occasional band kids. Every time I introduce DCI to a friend who has never heard of it, they are stunned. I don't know how many times I've heard people ask, "how is it that I didn't even know this existed!?" I recall in particular talking with a colleague who was a bit of a high-culture-snob. She dismissed anything that would happen on a football field as either barbaric or juvenile. I was able to convince her to watch Blue Devils version of Rite of Spring, Blue Knights rendition of Firebird, and Bluecoats "Tilt", and immediately I had won a convert for DCI. This isn't even all that hard. The typical DCI event has something for just about every imaginable demographic, and even if some people will be turned off by some shows, there's always going to be something to like whether you prefer jazz, classical, pop, show-tunes, indie rock, or the most avant-garde new music. Despite this, as an organization DCI seems very inward looking. A few years ago they put out a survey for people who had attended the finals, and the first question asked people to check whether they were A) a current corps member; B) a former corps member; C) a family member of a corps member; or D) a band director. Perhaps I'm forgetting another category, but I know what was not on the list: "fan". When I e-mailed to complain, they fixed the survey so that it included "none of the above." What a great way to emphasize outreach! I think the cinema initiative has been excellent insofar as it brings drum corps to hundreds of new sites, though I've seen very little advertising of these events outside of familiar outlets seen by people already likely to be interested. I don't really have any specific ideas here, but it seems to me that with some of the money that might be earned with increased attendance this year, DCI could hire an advertising agency with experience in the entertainment business. It won't be easy or quick, and it won't lead to massive expansion in the short term, but I'm convinced it could be done.

• Like 1

Having marched in the 90's I am SO glad that I'm not part of THAT statistic...

SAME!!!