Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

If you average the Brass and Guard caption scores, Crown and Cadets are tied for High Brass at 19.4 for the past two nights and Crown has an average of 19.25 in Guard, edging out BD who has a 19.20. Crown looks to take overall General Effect tomorrow night. Tomorrow night will be great![/quote

And I believe SCV and Cadets tied for high drums so far. A great show tomorrow and cadets CLOULD win Ott and Sanford.

• Like 1

Taking the timing penalty out the Crossmen and Blue Stars are tied. The best chance for movement Saturday is the Crossmen moving up. Second best chance of movement is Crown and Blue Devils swapping spots. I really hope Madison can hold onto their #8 spot, I don't see Cavies passing them.

Ahhh...yes...thank you. I'd forgotten about that penalty.

Having the choir for Ode to Joy helps that moment out a lot personally.

I've heard it both ways. The choir is a synthesizer, but you should hear it when it's all pure, Crown, brass. Wow!

Judging from what I heard on DCP, Devils had a rough run tonight.

Come out strong and take the championship tomorrow BD!!

I thought BD was amazing tonight ... a few blips here or there, but you can say the same thing about last year's record breaking BD performance at finals. I'm not surprised at all that they closed the gap.

jasgre2000, on 07 Aug 2015 - 9:46 PM, said:snapback.png

You're missing the point, this has NOTHING to do with George Hopkins and whether or not he has had success in the past. Did you read the post you quoted? "...COMPARED to (the crappy lights) at Allentown."

I saw Cadets with each set of uniforms and I've seen every broadcast this year. The uniforms frankly look GREAT, that is also NOT THE POINT. Let me give you specific examples.

Cadets do a lot of leaning or stepping out with the leg during choreography. You can't see the leg movements because they blend in with the rest of the black pants of the other horn players, and the black pants of the guard. There is no "wow" factor because you can't see the movement.

Cadets do a lot of leaning with their upper bodies, which expose the shakos and plumes to cool looking formations and angles. With the white shako this was a great effect. With the black shako it blends into the uniform of the marcher behind the ones in the front. If you study the video and the black plumes you can find it, but only if you look for it. It is not typically visible when just looking at the formation.

There is a super cool block move by Cadets during the ballad when they turn sideways and do a high leg lift, right on the 45's, right down the middle. You can't see the different angles because no matter which way they turn, the black blends into the other black. Even some color, like the red slashes that Crown has on the pant would be helpful to provide some contrast.

I'm not making up what I see, I'm just observing it, and because I've seen both both live, and both on video I can honestly compare and contrast what I see.

I hear you, but maybe this is what the Cadets are going for? Maybe that high stepping in the ballad is supposed to look like a flush of legs all blending -- cogs in the machine. It's sort of a shostakovich show, so maybe, for them, the conformity of the black pants is deliberate and thematic; this wouldn't be the first time the Cadets made uniform choices that served the themes of the show.

Also, it's not as if the Cadets invented black pants... Plenty of other corps doing lots of body over the years have used the black pants to great effect -- SCV, for example -- so why this has inspired so many freakouts over being able to see the Cadets' legs is a little beyond me, tbh.

• Like 1

Vanguard tied for 3rd in percussion...

HA!

But they are tied with Cadets at 38.85 for the Sanford trophy. Blue Devils is a tenth behind at 38.75. So the higher drum score tomorrow between Cadets and SCV will win the Sanford, even if BD wins drums tomorrow - unless BD wins drums by 2 tenths or more tomorrow. Then they win the Sanford. Edited by Tim Coffey
  • Like 1

High GE: Crown. (BD must win GE by 1.1 tomorrow night to tie)

High Guard: Crown leads 19.25 to BD's 19.2. (BD must win guard by 0.1 tomorrow night to tie).

High Brass: Cadets and Crown are tied at 19.4

High Percussion: SCV and Cadets tied at 19.425, BD at 19.375. This one is gonna be fun tomorrow night!

I'm feeling good about tomorrow for Crown. But only a fool will say that BD can't come back. Best of luck to both corps, but I think it's time to bring it back home to Carolina.

• Like 2

jasgre2000, on 07 Aug 2015 - 9:46 PM, said:snapback.png

You're missing the point, this has NOTHING to do with George Hopkins and whether or not he has had success in the past. Did you read the post you quoted? "...COMPARED to (the crappy lights) at Allentown."

I saw Cadets with each set of uniforms and I've seen every broadcast this year. The uniforms frankly look GREAT, that is also NOT THE POINT. Let me give you specific examples.

Cadets do a lot of leaning or stepping out with the leg during choreography. You can't see the leg movements because they blend in with the rest of the black pants of the other horn players, and the black pants of the guard. There is no "wow" factor because you can't see the movement.

Cadets do a lot of leaning with their upper bodies, which expose the shakos and plumes to cool looking formations and angles. With the white shako this was a great effect. With the black shako it blends into the uniform of the marcher behind the ones in the front. If you study the video and the black plumes you can find it, but only if you look for it. It is not typically visible when just looking at the formation.

There is a super cool block move by Cadets during the ballad when they turn sideways and do a high leg lift, right on the 45's, right down the middle. You can't see the different angles because no matter which way they turn, the black blends into the other black. Even some color, like the red slashes that Crown has on the pant would be helpful to provide some contrast.

I'm not making up what I see, I'm just observing it, and because I've seen both both live, and both on video I can honestly compare and contrast what I see.

You can make all the improper appeals to authority you want (ie, George Hopkins must know what he's doing so it must be right) but opinion does NOT change physics; the black uniforms are not visually effective with the marching and choreography put into the show by the staff. Bright lights do not help, it's just worse in poor lighting.

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm being analytical about what I see. I love Cadets, they're my favorite show this year. It's killing me that the show isn't going to win. My opinion isn't going to change that either. :sad:

You are absolutely correct. But there are a lot more problems with the black. How about clean drill sets? With the light pants, the wonderful drill sets just slapped you in the face. With the black, you have to really look hard to even make out some of the more compact sets. Same problem. Black being covered up by black around it or behind it. You have one more chance George. Do the right thing, for your members sake, and go back to the old uniforms for finals.