Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

It is rare for the Friday night winner to not come out on top on Saturday...very rare...just look at the 30 years or more.

2008 and 1983 were the last two times it happened (besides the three ties where the semis leader shared the title).

But this is different this year. It's extremely close AND it's BD in second place. I think the defending champs are going to squeak this one out to thunderous boos at the oil can.

Percussion being the difference on Saturday.

Edited by Yorkvillain
  • Like 1

No way in heck BD got robbed in '08. That show was a practice run for the subsequent 7 years; you can tell the designers were throwing spaghetti at the wall.

And I even liked that show. But nah.

BD to pull the PR of 08

4th 2ND 1st

Or it could be even weirder.

Prelims

3rd place Bluecoats

4th place Blue Devils

Semis

3rd place Bluecoats

4th place Cadets

Finals

3rd place Bluecoats

4th place Crown

(I really don't see that happening, but since you found a pattern, I thought I would also suggest one)

BD to pull the PR of 08

4th 2ND 1st

I have a feeling that very few would be shocked ... or happy ... if it happened this time though. I wouldn't mind too much ... BD is as good as ever this year.

No way in heck BD got robbed in '08. That show was a practice run for the subsequent 7 years; you can tell the designers were throwing spaghetti at the wall.

And I even liked that show. But nah.

I've yet to see a corps get "robbed" but I did have the BD winning 08. Phantom beat them fair and square but doesn't mean I like that result lol.

• Like 1

Can someone explain why there is one brass judge score and 2 percussion judge scores? It seems to me, looking at the recap, that you should make sure your percussion is strong before your brass because you get more points with percussion. At least that's what it looks like. Insight?

The fact that the Cadets could well win both Sanford and Ott from 4th place is pretty amazing. Plainly they are a very talented corps.

If that happens, that would be unprecedented. However, you must remember that the brass and drum trophies are based on a three night average score, whereas a 4th place finish (if they stay there) is just a single night. To better correlate, you need to also average their ordinal position over the three nights. So if they indeed finish 4th, then their ordinal average is 3.3 (2,4,4).

Congratulations Crown, for doing the unthinkable and winning the show over a very pro-BD panel. Tomorrow's panel is more favorable for them, so unless something goes terribly wrong, it is their time to shine at Finals.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

Sanford Trophy Race (Percussion Title)

Going into tomorrow taking last the 2 scores, here's how the top 4 including Carolina Crown because this caption could make or break their chance for a 2nd gold.

The Cadets 19.425
SCV 19.425

Blue Devils 19.375

Bluecoats 19.25

=================

Carolina Crown 18.8
To me its a 3 horse race for the drum title between BD, Cadets and SCV. Crown's has the DCI Championship if their drumline plays the show of their lives. Interesting to see how things will shake out tomorrow.

Agree that the percussion caption may be the swing vote, as might GE and music analysis. Interesting note - The two drum judges for finals are the same as the ones for Atlanta, Rothe and Prosperie. In that show both had Crown in 5th, but Prosperie had BD ahead of Crown by .9, while Rothe had BD ahead only .4. That's a huge difference. Very interested to see how those two compare tomorrow night. I think BD has to beat Crown in drums by .6 or more to have a shot to overtake them.

Edited by mboogey73