Jersey Surf and competitive success

Says who? If they are content the way things are who are "we" to say they need to change it? I'm not saying that they ARE happy with the status quo - I have no knowlede whether they are or not. The question was is there anything in the rules that mandates that they should push harder to compete?

ok then have fun being in 21st place then..and WHO is content being in 21st place? I dont think the mindset is " ok lets devote all of our time and efforts just to be a below average Corps"..I think there are better options thats all. I like Surf I just hope they can work harder to find that thing that can push them up a few notches in 2016.

Here's what I don't get: If the corps administration, staff and marching members are happy with the status quo (ie entertaining light-hearted shows that are less competative than those who "take themselves more seriously") then why should they change anything? Where does it say that in order to be a world class corps going on a full summer tour that you need to compete to move up the ladder or you shouldn't bother to show up?

Good point. All Corps decide for themselves what they see their mission to be. ( although, to be consistent in my comments, DCI should tell Pioneer.... " look, you are going to Open Class, and thats that ". )

• Like 1

Good point. All Corps decide for themselves what they see their mission to be. ( although, to be consistent in my comments, DCI should tell Pioneer.... " look, you are going to Open Class, and thats that ". )

Thank you

ok then have fun being in 21st place then..and WHO is content being in 21st place? I dont think the mindset is " ok lets devote all of our time and efforts just to be a below average Corps"..I think there are better options thats all. I like Surf I just hope they can work harder to find that thing that can push them up a few notches in 2016.

I assure you that they do have fun. My niece marched their guard for 3 years and loved every second of it. The majority of the kids she marched with felt the same and were perfectly content with their lot. Those who wanted to be more competative moved on to other corps, but plenty who could have moved on stayed instead because they liked the environment.

Not everyone that marches is burning for a medal or a finals appearance. Some march for the simple joy of marching and performing and really don't care if they are "competative" as long as they are having fun and entertaining the crowds.

I assure you that they do have fun. My niece marched their guard for 3 years and loved every second of it. The majority of the kids she marched with felt the same and were perfectly content with their lot. Those who wanted to be more competative moved on to other corps, but plenty who could have moved on stayed instead because they liked the environment.

Not everyone that marches is burning for a medal or a finals appearance. Some march for the simple joy of marching and performing and really don't care if they are "competative" as long as they are having fun and entertaining the crowds.

understood

Even though I've been critical of Pioneer, I beg to differ. They stepped up their game. I'll hold off another season to see what develops.

Even though I've been critical of Pioneer, I beg to differ. They stepped up their game. I'll hold off another season to see what develops.

I understand. But they have been the last place World Class Division Corps for way too long, imo. But if we give'em another year, I'd be onboard with that. ( this is all for sheets and giggles, of course, as the Pioneers have become" Settlers " in WC now, imo )

Edited by BRASSO

The difference between SURF and PIONEER is SURF has a pull corps every year. It's

just bad programming . not lack of talent or members.

• Like 1

Here's what I don't get: If the corps administration, staff and marching members are happy with the status quo (ie entertaining light-hearted shows that are less competative than those who "take themselves more seriously") then why should they change anything? Where does it say that in order to be a world class corps going on a full summer tour that you need to compete to move up the ladder or you shouldn't bother to show up?

Search "The G-7 Report"

• Like 1