OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

wasnt there live, and while i disagree with the final results, let's look at the plusses

22k paid at finals

attendance up at many events

t

he most competitive top 4 maybe all times

where does DCI go from here? Dunno. I know many question the judging right now.....time will tell

Jeff, what did you think of the drum numbers tonight?

I calculated crown's score if their percussion scored a perfect score and the rest of the caption scores remained the same. Here's what it looks like:

GE: 38.95

Visual: 28.95

Music:

Brass - 19.7

Analysis - 19.7

Percussion - 20.0*

Music Total: 29.7

Final Score: 97.6 ....and what would the final results look like?

1st - Blue Devils 97.650

2nd - Carolina Crown 97.600

It wasn't all the percussions' fault. Visual held them back too.

You'd have to imagine that if the percussion were stronger, Music Analysis would also go up, though. The percussion section has cost this corps big time in the last few years. And not for lack of talent - it's a design and instruction issue. Time for a change? Probably. Just my $.02.

yeah, they've been on a tough road. last time they placed 9th was in 1983

Yes, we beat them Freelancers 83 and then lost to them in 84 when they placed 8th.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=J5-FZtxLvAA

Classy Crown fans, really classy!

If this were any other corps that were hoping to upset BD, people wouldn't say that... I don't get why people hate on Crown fans so much. I for one thought that BD had the better performance tonight and that their talented musicians gave their best, and it was enough to top Crown for the night.

Not me, I had a blast!

Well worth every penny to see shows all over the country I would not normally get to see, including finals. And it has been very well established that the DCI Live! feed was NOT the problem in 99% of the glitches. There were some no doubt, but very few. The 720p vid was good, and I can tell you the Q's feed for audio was every bit as good as the DVD. With the wife out for the evening, it was BLASTING so loud at my house the neighbors were complaining! :biggrin:

Here's my advice; in the off-season, upgrade that old slow computer of yours with the crappy sound card, get some decent high-speed internet, and invest in a 4K 70" TV. Oh yeah, you'll need a 5.1 surround sound system with some large Klipsch horn-driven speakers (the secret to LOUD without distortion) and you will NOT be complaining about that $99 for DCI Live next year!

And if you can't do that, you are welcome to watch finals with me at my house next year. My treat.

You bring the 70" TV. :cool:

The computer is fine. My beef is on June 14th there was no friggin' asterisk!

• Like 1

None of them are entitled to any of this.

Save the booing for the pro sports athletes who get to cry into their million dollar contracts. It belongs nowhere near an activity like this, where the people hearing your boos work their butts off for nothing but the love of the activity.

I agree with you.. the point I was trying to make was.. at least these crown fans, kept it fairly quiet. they didnt shout it for all the stadium to hear.

• Like 2

The biggest difference in the results tonight versus the last 2 nights is in the GE cap. On Thursday, crown won GE over BD by .7...at semis it was .4...at finals that .7 lead in GE had shrunk to .1. Including winning the GE1 sheets, something they hadn't done the past 2 nights. Crowns visual and music cap deficit couldn't withstand the loss of that GE cushion they had.

Just a quick numbers analysis

Back at the hotel now, leaving later this morning.

From what I saw and heard, I agree with the placements. BD had the better performance tonight. Out of all three nights, I thought Semis was Crown's best.

Overall, an incredible top 12!

• Like 1

It only feels that way because folks were used to them not even being counted toward the score for so long, lol.

But in reality, I think what's changed is that what used to be the sole responsibility of the guard (personality, character, theatricality) is now everyone's responsibility, so it seems like guards are more important, but it's really that theater is more important. And every show that has won this century proves that -- every single one. I wouldn't even say it about 1999, tbh.

What I mean is that guard touches more captions now than anything else.

GE (which, even though it's "one" caption now, still has a "visual" guy and and "music" guy for balance), from a visual standpoint, is heavily guard-focused (indeed, most GE visual judges are guard people, or at least are well-versed). All three visual captions are guard-focused. The obvious "Guard" caption, but visual analysis and such as well because the sheets now are tilted to reward WGI-like visual design. That's guard right there.

Basically DCI is now WGI on a football field where you provide your own music via instrumentalists. Not saying that's good or bad, that's just what it is.