OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

About as close a thing to "prophetic" as I have ever read on this message board! Pretty much nailed what happened!

This is who will win DCI finals.

There are some who say that who will win depends on the judging panel at finals and has little to do with each corps performances that night. Let’s take a look at this angle. This is a complicated situation. There is one equation (DCI winner) with 10 unknowns (judges). The number of combinations is at least in the millions. It’s really less than that because every sub caption will be in the high 90s out of 100. Let’s narrow it down even more to the 2 captions with large recent spreads, GE Music and Music Analysis, and the one important wild card in the recent past, Percussion.

Percussion. The drum judges for finals are the same as for Atlanta, Prosperie and Rothe. Prosperie had BD over Crowne by .9 and Rothe had BD over Crowne by .4 .

At semi's, Kristensen had BD over Crown by .5 and Dunn had BD over Crown by .5 . If the overall drum spread goes from .5 in semi's to .65 (like it was in atlanta), the .15 increase means BD TIES overall, compared with the .15 overall win by Crown in semi's. Don't forget, Caleb Rothe runs the So. Cal indoor drumline circuit. At least 5 or more of BD's current drumline marched in that circuit last winter. Could that have an influence? Maybe, maybe not.

For Visual Analysis, the last time Tim Ochran judged both was Buffalo, he had BD up by .6 , the same spread as Torchia in semi's. So that looks like a wash. So, along with the drum judge changes, it's still a tie.

The other biggest spread was GE music. Nola Jones had Crown up by .6 . All the other GE judges had a .1 or .2 spread. Last time i find Ken Turner judging GE Music for both is San Antonio. He had BD over Crown by .1 , so if Turner takes Nola Jones' spot, BD goes from losing that GE music spot by .6 to winning by .1 ,then BD WINS OVERALL BY ABOUT .7

So based on this, the finals panel does favor BD. If this is true, I will win the lottery next week and move to the French Riviera the week after that.

By the way, this is who i think will win. It’s not necessarily who i want to win. And there are still 2 other corps in this mix. If George goes back to the old uniforms for finals, this could be a totally different story.

Edited by TheBattman
  • Like 1

Y'know Dave, Some of you guys from the old BD forums I consider my best friends even though none I have met. People I interact with on a daily basis!

Yeah, I feel the same about you. We go back a ways now, and those were good times.

It was a different atmosphere on the old BD board. Discussions were civil (with some rare exceptions :bluedevil: ), and had incredibly intelligent well expressed posts, as opposed to one sentence "hit and run" posts seen in other drum corps discussion boards.

It was a wonderful mix, we had Cavaliers guys, non drum corps guys like me, lots of BD alums, and even BD staff also commented from time-to-time. It was just good discussion of all things drum corps.

How loud was the booing when Crown was announced in 2nd place?

12 Crossmen 84.2 (85.025)

11 Blue Stars 85.1 (85.15)

10. Boston 86.8 (86.8)

9. Cavies 87.5 (88.325)

8. Madison 89.00 (88.75)

7. Phantom 90.4 (90.325)

6. Blue Knights 92.4 (91.85)

5. SCV 94.0 (93.85)

4. Cadets 95.8 (95.9)

3. Bluecoats 96.7 (96.925)

2. Blue Devils 97.25 (97.075) Carolina

1. Crown 97.8 (97.65) Blue Devils

Jim Jones Madison

Zingali guard (Blue Devils)

Performance (Blue Devils)

Jim Ott (Cadets)

Sanford (Blue Devils)

GE (Carolina)

After a six hour drive home, a six hour nap, and time doing things around the house. I'd like to give a few impressions. I first have to say that we were two minutes late for Crossmen--I really wanted to see their show :(

Blue Stars had a rather whimsical show. I think they did a fantastic job of creating a carnival like atmosphere. Great job!

Boston was good. Love the theatrics. Favorite Boston show in at least four years. Great job!

Cavaliers. I like the hornline book so much and the closer really brought it home! Great job!

Madison's show is much better in person than on video. I really enjoyed their throw back show. Great job!

Phantom. Your props look so much better in person than on video. Loved the show for its gentle French feel. Wasn't forced. Great job!

Blue Knights show was beautiful. I only wish there was something more for the ending. The show was beautiful. Great job!

Santa Clara, you might have been my favorite show of the night. Loved it. Wonderful program. Great job!

Cadets march better than anybody. Period. Your drumline can seriously throw down. The drill in the closer was sweet. Great job!

Bluecoats, you were on fire. I liked the effects. Horns, drums, guard. Wow. That closer! Great job!

Crown, this may be unpopular for me to say, but you had it all last night. Not much I can say. Champion show. Great job!

Blue Devils. Great design, truly. Great horns, drums, and guard, truly. Show was wonderful. Why you wait until encore to put that much energy into your performance? I didn't really enjoy the Finals run--it lacked energy to me and was a second place performance to me. Good, but second to Crown. After the encore, my thoughts turned to "Now THAT is the BD I remember!"

• Like 4

What time does the show start tonight? What? Season is over? Can't be.

What an amazing year - from 1 to n. Can't remember EVER seeing so many great corps performing such great shows to such a high degree. Truly one for the ages.

I was pulling for CC but can't say that BD didn't deserve the win. If it is truly an adjudication of the performances that night, then the right team won.

Congrats to BD and all of the corps that participated. Gonna be a long 9 months until the first show of 2016.

There was none. It was more like mature respect and quiet, utter disbelief.

had a viewing party.. we noticed the odd quiet in the stadium after Crown was named in 2nd, even through the broadcast

How loud was the booing when Crown was announced in 2nd place?

I was on the 50 in section 240. There was a stunned silence initially followed by a few scattered boos briefly (nothing like at a Flyers game when they are playing poorly :satisfied: ) that quickly became cheers for Carolina.