OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Diversity.

Omigod..."Diversity"...the new show theme for 2016...up for availability to the highest bidder. :wow:

Omigod..."Diversity"...the new show theme for 2016...up for availability to the highest bidder. :wow:

A show about an old wooden ship??

• Like 2

Loved Finals last night.

But I have a concern about what DCI shows are becoming. I don't like the pseudo "spirituality" and incomprehensible meaning in many of these shows. It seems as though we are valuing "nothingness" and afraid of anything with meaning (because we're afraid of offending someone). Vague, valueless, and relativistic are what these shows are becoming.

(respectful snip! for brevity)

Are show designers trying to outsmart everyone by coming up with these strange shows? There aren't even metaphors in these shows... (more snip) The Academy, and a few others. I'm not saying it can't be abstract, but even abstract breaks down something that has value. It's like Jazz music, even though spontaneous, still follows distinct and recognizable patterns.

First of all Chris, welcome to the forums. Great first post!

Second of all, you may be new to these proceedings, but you are obviously not new to drum corps. Those are incredibly astute and very deep questions you raise. Frankly, I'd like to see you put that in its own thread, as it will be lost in this 1,800 post thread.

My brief answer is that the top drum corps show these days present a very sophisticated product, and I believe it caters to a highly sophisticated audience. These are not your father's drum corps shows.

Please consider starting a new thread. I think your questions are worth quality answers, and are relevant to the state-of-the-art of drum corps today.

It is painfully obvious that a lifetime of watered down television and short attention spans has created a nation of check mailing nincompoops.

https://www.change.org/p/any-one-a-fan-of-drum-corps-arrange-for-a-review-of-judges-and-scoring-methods-of-drum-corps-international?recruiter=358343516&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

I rest my case.

Loved Finals last night.

But I have a concern about what DCI shows are becoming. I don't like the pseudo "spirituality" and incomprehensible meaning in many of these shows. It seems as though we are valuing "nothingness" and afraid of anything with meaning (because we're afraid of offending someone). Vague, valueless, and relativistic are what these shows are becoming.

For Example: a show about horses (not a story about a horse or a metaphor of individualism, freedom, etc., just about "horses" in general); a show about numbers (not the values behind numbers, but just numbers themselves...what the heck does that mean?); a show about "Ink" and the written word (but one that was incomprehensible and so busy with random nothingness and irrelevant hip hop, I had no idea what they were trying to communicate)...

Are show designers trying to outsmart everyone by coming up with these strange shows? There aren't even metaphors in these shows...it's just nothingness. It's up to "the interpreter" to decide. Well, that leaves the audience more confused and less uplifted. Some of the only corps that buck this trend are Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, The Academy, and a few others. I'm not saying it can't be abstract, but even abstract breaks down something that has value. It's like Jazz music, even though spontaneous, still follows distinct and recognizable patterns.

instead of watching the boob tube try reading books. it's good for you. Obviously you can not comprehend too much so go back and watch Maury and Murikin Idle etc. If you just want simple music that does not challenge your brain or make you think too much try something else for crying out loud. If anything outside 4/4 is too much to take then perhaps you should try listening to more different types of music.

Frank Zappa was right.

Drum corps is good for the imagination.

• Like 1

When Cadets were supposedly in teh 60s and SCV in the 70s?? Get real.

Sorry, I meant the scores for placements #12-#7.

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious!

Before any of our fans born in the 2000s get freaked out by this, you should know, this is nothing new; crazies have always been around, as long as there's been drum corps.

I remember in the late '70s - early '80s there was a now defunct corps called "The Bridgemen." They had their funny moments and a couple of years where they were really good, but they were a fairly average drum top 12 caliber corps. The Bridgemen featured out-of-tune G Bugles who overblew most of the time, a really good drum line, and some very fine looking ladies in the color guard.

I think the bolded passage deserves a little elaboration for "any of the fans born in the 2000s":

The Bridgemen placed in the top six on five occasions 1976-1981 (and would have done so a sixth time in 1977 had they not been disqualified for having an overage member), including a bronze medal in 1980. But even more important than the placements is their influence on the activity: they demonstrated that drum corps could "loosen up" and still be good. Their spiritual heirs were the Velvet Knights, who weren't quite as good (but they still made Finals eight times). Today, sadly, no one really fills their role.

• Like 1

(disclaimer: I always post with a smile on my face, so don't worry that I take myself, this "issue" or any of you guys, too seriously. I'm OK, really. And taking my meds helps a lot.) :cool:

Having recently met wvu80, I can attest: he's easy going and even keeled.

But since I'm not, you can't trust my judgment.

• Like 1

Well you've have to try extreme measures I guess. We know tossing axes at him doesn't work.

This from a man whose avatar's opponents found that lots of murderous methods didn't work on him.

• Like 1

Loved Finals last night.

For Example: a show about horses (not a story about a horse or a metaphor of individualism, freedom, etc., just about "horses" in general); a show about numbers (not the values behind numbers, but just numbers themselves...what the heck does that mean?); a show about "Ink" and the written word (but one that was incomprehensible and so busy with random nothingness and irrelevant hip hop, I had no idea what they were trying to communicate)...

Are show designers trying to outsmart everyone by coming up with these strange shows? There aren't even metaphors in these shows...it's just nothingness. It's up to "the interpreter" to decide. Well, that leaves the audience more confused and less uplifted. Some of the only corps that buck this trend are Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, The Academy, and a few others. I'm not saying it can't be abstract, but even abstract breaks down something that has value. It's like Jazz music, even though spontaneous, still follows distinct and recognizable patterns.

Weren't all drum corps originally about nothing?

• Like 1