OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

I remeber in the predictions thread I got called crazy for saying Cadets would be 4th and Crown would be 1st. Well I was almost right!

Large number had MS 12th or out of finals.

The reason Crown lost was because they had a weakness in percussion that never was corrected. It is not a conspiracy. Guard has gone back and forth all season. Like someone else said, you cannot have a glaring weakness and expect to win Finals (beat BD) unless BD happens to have an off night. The crowd is going to go crazy for any corps Crown, Bloo, SCV or even Cadets if there is a chancet they will beat the Blue Devils. I get it! People get tired of the same corps winning. I liked this years BD show, however I loved last years BD show, but at Finals BD did not have the fans vote (as far as crowd response goes), Bluecoats did. I really do not think it matters what product BD puts on the field next year, the crowds once they leave CA for tour will be hoping someone else wins. It is human nature, and the people who decide to march with the Blue Devils know what they are getting themselves into.

Well said. I totally get the BD fatigue.

• Like 1

The reason Crown lost was because they had a weakness in percussion that never was corrected. It is not a conspiracy. Guard has gone back and forth all season. Like someone else said, you cannot have a glaring weakness and expect to win Finals (beat BD) unless BD happens to have an off night. The crowd is going to go crazy for any corps Crown, Bloo, SCV or even Cadets if there is a chancet they will beat the Blue Devils. I get it! People get tired of the same corps winning. I liked this years BD show, however I loved last years BD show, but at Finals BD did not have the fans vote (as far as crowd response goes), Bluecoats did. I really do not think it matters what product BD puts on the field next year, the crowds once they leave CA for tour will be hoping someone else wins. It is human nature, and the people who decide to march with the Blue Devils know what they are getting themselves into.

This ^^^

Yeah, I hear Aungst has a real scrub of a high school line in comparison...

Never questioned Dartmouth's ability or their greatness at that level, however match grip to traditional and the snare line is the issue, hmmm.

Anyway, I was speaking more to youth of the staff vs Aungst. And Mapes and Co. has 4 lines they oversee vs one (Pulse, POW, Chino Hills HS and the feeder middle school). It's almost like they have a soccer style youth academy like my avatar FC Barcelona. Any top 6 corps who gets them will indirectly inherit a 4 tier youth percussion ensemble assembly line. With the same culture and approach to percussion. (Full Disclosure. John Mapes and I go way back, were friends and college classmates)

Congrats to Bloo. You had the most innovative show on the field this year, bar none, and people are going to start using you as a reference for how to use electronics effectively. Get the performance where the design is and you should be silver medaling with regular consistency! (I stand by my earlier statement that BD will never lose again. Have to be consistent!)

SCV, you had my favorite show this year. What a cool program! I can't wait to see you back in the discussion of the top 4 regularly.

Special shout out to the Crossmen, representing Texas well with two top 12 finishes in a row! Keep at it!

Thoroughly enjoyed this season. Stronger top to bottom than last year (where I really only liked a handful of shows) and zero clunkers in the top 6.

• Like 2

BD for me has become my 'hot dog' corps. I refuse to watch them - when they come on, I go and do something else. The kids are great and talented, but I cannot handle their show design. It is so predictable. I am so tired of the white props and the ugly guard costumes. Blah.

Bruh. If you didn't even watch the show -- no, "refuse" to watch the show -- then hush. Just don't say anything. You didn't see it; you can't say. A negative opinion from someone who saw the show is worth something, but this isn't.

Tonight belongs to all the corps -- not just BD -- and you're not doing any of these young people a favor by poo'ing on the hard work of their friends and peers. It's disrepectful to all of them.

• Like 6

Totally agree, that whole group on lines is on fire lately. Personally, I thought the best choice could be Tim Jackson, since there's already some Rhythm X staff there and, unlike the Pulse guys, he's not currently affiliated with another corps that I know of. But either of these would be fantastic, along with several other possibilites.

And as for wanting to give Aungst more time since he's new to the group... that's what we all said about Hannum in 2012 and Beddis in 2007. He could be different, but why waste 2 or 3 more years on that chance when the previous attempts have failed? Meh.

No, no, no, no. Leave the Pulse dudes with the Blue Stars. That corps needs them and has a lot of success with them. :thumbup:

• Like 2