OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Also if Jeff Prospiere puts Bluecoats drums in 1st. I trust him. He's one of the few judges I KNOW I trust. They sounded fantastic tonight.

What a year!!! I'll take third. If anything Bloo has shown they are here to stay. Following up 2nd place with another medal year. I love it. Bring home the championship next year. Keep the momentum!!

Edited by ShouldveMarchedAgeOut
  • Like 1

This was a great summer of Corps shows. Attendance was up. Top to bottom, so many kids layed it out there each nite for their Corps. They all deserve our appreciation, and I thank them all for their efforts, and their performances.

• Like 2

It's really amazing when you think about it: nobody dominates wins in any sport or activity like the Blue Devils do in DCI drum corps. For over three-and-a-half decades now, it's really BD, and then the rest of the field. No other corps is remotely close to the number of wins they have won for themselves. You just have to tip your hat to them. Their title was vulnerable from three others that could have taken it from them tonight. But in a hostile environment, they stepped up big time in performance to retain their Title.

Over the past decade, 2006-2015, the Reading Buccaneers have won even more DCA championships (8) than the Blue Devils have won DCI championships (6), with the 2015 championships yet to come in DCA.

And last year's finish for the Bucs felt rather like this year's finish for BD: they were third in Prelims but picked up 1.5 pts. overnight to finish first in Finals. To the dismay of many in the audience! And there was a penalty involved (but it wasn't the deciding factor).

But in the longer term, you are of course correct about BD's incomparable dominance. Bucs have only 13 championships to BD's 17 wins, and Bucs finished out of the top five many times from the late 1980s to the late 1990s.

• Like 1

It wasn't only crown's percussion that dragged them down. They scored lower in visual analysis than what they did in the semis. It was a rough run for them tonight.

Never questioned Dartmouth's ability or their greatness at that level, however match grip to traditional and the snare line is the issue, hmmm.

Anyway, I was speaking more to youth of the staff vs Aungst. And Mapes and Co. has 4 lines they oversee vs one (Pulse, POW, Chino Hills HS and the feeder middle school). It's almost like they have a soccer style youth academy like my avatar FC Barcelona. Any top 6 corps who gets them will indirectly inherit a 4 tier youth percussion ensemble assembly line. With the same culture and approach to percussion. (Full Disclosure. John Mapes and I go way back, were friends and college classmates)

There are countless former members who have marched snare in top 12 corps that would beg to differ, including current crown center (and former cadets center when he was 17), and current BD snare (and former Crown center when he was also 17).

Point aside, again, I can't understand why people are calling for his head after one season. One season where he had quite literally only 4 members with world class corps experience.

While Mapes and Co. have done great work over the years, they still only finished 7th in drums (in large part due to their buddy Rothe tossing them a huge bone in finals). What am I missing here? How much more will they benefit Crown?

Edited by Musicman1084

As an OpenClass parent, I had no real stake in tonight's outcome.

But it does highlight the one aspect of this activity I wish were somehow different - the fact that everything - a whole season, 1000's of hours, and sooo much work comes down to one single performance.

In judged sports such as figure skating, a certain percentage of the short program becomes part of the final score. I think the same holds true for diving and gymnastics, but I am not certain. Based on that model, I have thought for a long time that prelims should be 10% of the score, semi's 25%, and finals 65%. Since Blue Devils were so close on both nights, it probably would not have changed the outcome (I'd have to do the math and it's too late for that), but it could make things interesting.

• Like 1

She hasn't judged in almost a month. She had Crown guard in 3rd that night to BD and Bluecoats. She has also had SCV guard ahead of BD earlier this season so anyone's guess what will happen with her tonight.

Marie should not be judging at all since she has openly and blatantly said how much she hates the Regiment.