OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Yes, of course there's a point. BRASSO said, and in the very post to which you respond, I quoted him as saying, "nobody dominates wins in any sport or activity" like the Blue Devils.

I was offering an example, in the short term (a decade), of someone dominating their separate activity like BD has dominated DCI.

I might have looked to some other sport or activity for a comparison, but DCA was the first thing that came to mind.

I was not comparing the quality of Bucs and BD as drum corps.

Oh gotcha. oops.

He's 17. Speaking of soloists, the young lady that played the mello solos right before the last part of the closer was incredible. Solid all year. Don't think I ever heard her crack a note.

I honestly don't know which soloist I loved better this year, her or SCV's soloist. Both were phenomenal this year.

• Like 3

BD has never been my kind of corps mostly because of their their decisions around color and staging - especially with what feels like clutter to me on the field with all of the props. But I gotta tell ya - I saw them in Allentown live and on the stream tonight. They made a huge surge and the performance tonight was brilliant. Possibly the best execution ever. The Cadets have always done it for me and I was pumped to see them take top brass. "10" really worked for me. Carolina's Inferno matured over the season to be the most emotional of them all for me. Bloo just grows on me every time I see them - and you gotta give them props for pushing the envelope and possibly being the best corps to integrate electronics into a seamless musical experience with the "organic" content.

Bottom line - this was the best season in the 33 years I've been watching, and I count myself lucky to have seen a few shows live this season. The Top 12 shows all had something that made me go "wow"! And the top 4 - sublime every one of them. Thanks to every person in every corps, the DCI organization, and the 1000's of dedicated volunteers that make this activity possible. I'm one grateful guy.

see you next year!

Great post. I agree!

• Like 3

OK, people, here's how I see it.

DCI is art! An art form. So first, people are entitled to their own opinions. People didn't like Rite of Spring. People didn't understand Picasso. Plenty of people think Pollack is a hack. Famous art? Oh yeah. Criticized? Definitely. That's the great thing about art. You appeal to different people. It's OK if you don't like every show, and it's OK if you talk to someone that doesn't agree with you.

Second, stop caring about the scoring and the placement. The system of judging art is terrible and will always be terrible. Can you imagine having a contest across time and handing out medals to the best symphony composers in a one-time performance? Mahler #2, Symphonie Fantastique, Shostakovich 5, New World, and Tchaik 6? Let's see if ranking those brings out the best in us.

So BD (Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, Patriots, Cardinals, etc...) won again. Forget the scores because they shouldn't matter. Enjoy the art. Relish your favorite shows, and put the youtube on repeat. I'm a crown fan all the way, and I'm going to bed very happy!

Excellent points.

It may also be worth remembering that some works of art are the critics' darlings when they appear and forgotten years later in favor of what the audience prefers.

And vice versa, of course.

We don't know if, 50 years hence, those people who even think about old drum corps may like Crown's show or BD's show more.

Well, another season in the books! I'll write a review tomorrow, but from sitting on the 3rd row on the 50 in section 640, it felt like BD came to win tonight & Crown came out not to lose. I was pulling for Crown all the way, but they were better on Friday, and BD was very strong on Saturday. Congratulations, BD & thank you for highly melodic, entertaining & moving show. Well done to you & ALL tonight's Finalists!

Harvey

• Like 4

BD has never been my kind of corps mostly because of their their decisions around color and staging--especially with what feels like clutter to me on the field with all of the props. But I gotta tell ya - I saw them in Allentown live and on the stream tonight. They made a huge surge and the performance tonight was brilliant. Possibly the best execution ever.

Agreed on the clutter, although I thought this improved over the course of the season.

She scored them 6th in guard tonight after being 12th and 13th the nights before. That's BS.

The irony here is that the Regiment fans, and many guard folks, have been saying Phantom got hosed in guard yesterday. Can't be both....