OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

It was a great view! (I was in the Omni, too, in a corner room on the 10th floor, directly over the plaza).

What's curious to me is that you and I, and how many others?, chose to not go down to the plaza. It was a great view, but it was terrible sound - as in, NO sound; the windows didn't open - yet we, and I suspect, many others didn't go down to watch in person.

As I watched from the room I remembered when, last year, we couldn't get into the stands as it was packed solid, and we were stuck 8 or 10 deep in the standing room only crowd. This year, the stands were not full until the 3rd or 4th unit came on and there was not a standing-room-only crowd packed around the plaza. Made me wonder if the attraction had lost appeal considering the record attendance for finals.

The stands were definitely filled the entire time. I was sitting in them at the beginning.

However you are right, when I came back later, it was easy to get a standing spot near the fence. But one thing I will say, it was DANG hot, and the sun was pounding down. I bet people didn't want to stand in the heat for too long. I got a sunburn from standing there for about an hour.

Rondinaro was pointing out seeing elderly people in their skivvies looking out the window. No disrespect if that was you, CACTSC!

Haha. Well I'm not elderly (at least I don't think so) and pretty sure everyone in my room was fully clothed whenever the curtains were opened. So I think I'm safe!

But one thing I will say, it was DANG hot, and the sun was pounding down. I bet people didn't want to stand in the heat for too long. I got a sunburn from standing there for about an hour.

Sounds like watching DCA prelims last year, but at least we were sitting.

Haha. Well I'm not elderly (at least I don't think so) and pretty sure everyone in my room was fully clothed whenever the curtains were opened. So I think I'm safe!

Ummm....were you aware of those standing behind you...you know...the ones mouthing "HI MOM!!!!!!! #! !!!!!?

Edited by HornTeacher

It was a great view! (I was in the Omni, too, in a corner room on the 10th floor, directly over the plaza).

What's curious to me is that you and I, and how many others?, chose to not go down to the plaza. It was a great view, but it was terrible sound - as in, NO sound; the windows didn't open - yet we, and I suspect, many others didn't go down to watch in person.

As I watched from the room I remembered when, last year, we couldn't get into the stands as it was packed solid, and we were stuck 8 or 10 deep in the standing room only crowd. This year, the stands were not full until the 3rd or 4th unit came on and there was not a standing-room-only crowd packed around the plaza. Made me wonder if the attraction had lost appeal considering the record attendance for finals.

In my case- I was just lazy. Got up early for breakfast after a few hours sleep, then went back to bed for a while then casually got ready for the rest of the day. So was watching events out the window sporadically. Did make our way down eventually to see a bit of the live performances. I do like being on that side of the hotel though. And our rooms must have been about 4 apart. 😊

They gave a gold medal performance, which was well-deserved. They were by far the most polished sounding group, playing absurdly difficult music. Their Festive Overture was great! Yes, they still need to polish it, but again, they were already very good. It sounded like the announcements at Finals were for the Best in Show awards. I don't think Star United won that.

Best in Show is takes into account crowd response. JOBE received Best in Show for the class. The Calgary Stampede won best in show for their class and overall Best in Show for SoundSport.

The gold, silver, and bronze ratings are from the judges panel. Star United received a gold rating. We definitively need to get Festive polished for DCA. Thank you for your compliments.

Edited by kasommer

Garfield went on to their highest placement ever in 3rd, while the Vanguard made the largest drop ever for a defending champion, finishing 7th that year. Many of you may know what was coming next for the Cadets in 1983. Winner!

SCV placed 2nd in 1982. It was 1980 when they placed 7th.

According to Star United's Facebook page, they won the gold in Sound Sport. Was that announced at Finals? I didn't have time to watch all the Finals preshow announcements while the stream was up, but skipping around, I thought I'd heard the Soundsport results, e.g., the Jim Ott memorial ensemble winning the "All Age Over 50" category and Xili Primary winning "Cadet Under 50" class, but missed any mention of Star.

Their Shostakovich program consisting of "Fire of Eternal Glory" and "Festive Overture" is pretty good and quite difficult--Ghost Riders will have their work cut out for them to challenge!--although with plenty of polishing to do by Rochester next month--assuming they do plan to compete in the Mini Corps contest there. (I'd be really impressed if a mini corps found a way to change pants in the middle of a show!) Presumably there is an opener yet to come, since their show as presented in Indy runs about three minutes shorter than their program last year.

Yes, the Jim Ott Brass Ensemble won the All-Age Under 50 Members class at the Indy SoundSport competition, though that still doesn't make sense to me as we earned a Silver rating while Star earned Gold... 😵

SCV placed 2nd in 1982. It was 1980 when they placed 7th.

...not to mention, they weren't defending champions in 1980 anyhow.