Favorite voiceover removals?

From what I could tell last night, Phantom Regiment removed the "ooh-la-la" voiceover before the final note in the opener (and possibly some more). Made for a much more effective ending to that piece. I also remember being fond of the removal of Little Jeffrey's lines from the Cadets 2010 show after the Atlanta regional...that show was great come finals.

What are some of your favorite past instances of corps removing spoken word elements from the show as the season has progressed?

I think Geoffry's lines only lasted for that one single performance. I don't think they were there for the Murfreesboro show the night before and I know they definetly were gone by the next night. Probably for the best.

I too was very pleased not to hear much of the voiceover work in Phantom's show on Thursday. I wish they'd also drop the Sinatra (?) recording, but I guess I can get by with their opening voiceover ("Madames and Monsieurs, welcome to the City of Light")--although it ought to be live.

Speaking of prerecorded intros, whose voice is Bluecoats using?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I too was very pleased not to hear much of the voiceover work in Phantom's show on Thursday. I wish they'd also drop the Sinatra (?) recording, but I guess I can get by with their opening voiceover ("Madames and Monsieurs, welcome to the City of Light")--although it ought to be live.

Speaking of prerecorded intros, whose voice is Bluecoats using?

I know for a fact that there are some French girls in the Phantomettes so it's entirely feasible to have that intro done by a member. And yeah, the Sinatra recording just sounds bad.

The recording Bloo uses is from the source music. I believe from the piece that's called Mr. Maps or something like that.

Edited by Cappybara

The recording Bloo uses is from the source music. I believe from the piece that's called Mr. Maps or something like that.

Now that I can (reluctantly) get behind.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I'm in favor of eliminating it all.

• Like 1

The recording Bloo uses is from the source music. I believe from the piece that's called "Mr. Maps" or something like that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Since at least Monday, the introductory "Performing their 2015 show, 'Kinetic Noise', DCI is proud to present Bluecoats" has not been the stadium announcer but a recording. And the recorded voice is neither Brandt Crocker nor Dan Potter.

But since you bring up The Animated Description of Mr. Maps by The Books, does anyone know the original source for the sound clips used in that song? From it, the Bluecoats have sampled the following:

"You may call me brother now." -- "Yes, brother, I know"

And:

"He is 42, five feet eight inches tall, normally wears his curly hair long. He has a ruddy complexion, broad shoulders and is barrel chested, [and is unusually strong. He frequently wears a full beard and sometimes glasses.] He is a college graduate, a talented artist, and sculptor."

In the second passage, Bluecoats don't sample the part I have put in brackets. They also pause the sample at a few points where The Books do not. And they repeat part of the phrase, to sound as follows: "normally wears, normally wears, normally wears his hair long"

Comments below the video indicate that the song is about Edward Howard Maps, wanted for the murder of his wife and daughter in 1962. He was never apprehended. The last quote would presumably have been recorded in 1965, since Maps was 39 at the time of the murders. The other two quotes sound like something from an old science fiction move, but that's just a guess.

There are also these quotes from just earlier in Bluecoats show:

"All motion is relative, but we tend to think of one thing as being fixed and the other thing as being moving."

And:

"An inertial frame of reference is one which the law of inertia is valid. All frames of reference moving at a constant velocity with respect to an inertial frame are also inertial frames."

They come from a 1960 educational film called Frames of Reference, which you can watch here. The first quote can be heard at 2:50 and the second comes at 26:20. That film is worth seeing. Fun with optical illusions and fictitious forces!

I wish they'd modify the tag at the end of An Animated Description of Mr. Maps and end the show with "We want all of Drum Corps International to understand that it is understandable that Drum Corps International cannot possibly understand."

• Like 1