Boston Crusaders 2016

I just returned from Castleton, where I spent about 48 hours. This place, while being an incredible facility, is actually located on the back side (northern side) of the Killington Ski area. So, let me begin by saying that I watched last night's full run through wrapped in a couple blankets. I think it was around 49 degrees.

With the public performance for the local townspeople now just a few hours away (unless it rains or snows), I feel like I can provide a bit more reaction to what I saw and heard last night.

First off, the show is complete. The props are in and the guard work seems to be also complete. Having said that, there is little doubt in my mine that this particular design team will continue to add layers throughout the season. "Quixotic" is a journey, and the drum corps actually seems to take a journey throughout the 11 minutes, utilizing virtually every section of the field. As a former English teacher who actually used to teach Miguel Cervantes' "Don Quixote", I appreciate the fanciful trip the corps takes us on. As a "legacy" drum corps fan, I LOVE that the show is so lyrical...but fair warning: you will not be able to stop humming the melodies for days after you hear this( Man of LaMancha and To Dream the Impossible Dream are emotional home runs). As a visual designer myself, I will say that it is instantly obvious that there is a new sheriff in town in terms of the visual design package. And finally, as a former horn player, I will say that this group sounds really, REALLY good.

The show seems to fly by in 5 minutes. The mood swings are frequent and substantial, and the show really is "Quixotic". The marching technique by the horn line is more precise than in the recent past, and the guard is once again omnipresent. There are four drum majors/conductors, a decision I'm certain necessitated by the field coverage. Also, look for unconventional staging. And brass focus. And characterizations. And.....those windmills.....

I realize that my enthusiasm for BAC is perennial. I treasure this organization, but with all due respect, the last two seasons had some elements which, at times, were a challenge to defend. This is not the case with Boston 2016. Murphy, Murphy & Smith seem to be on a mission. I cannot wait for June 23rd

To an ole Down'easter Mainer like you, this must have felt like a summer day in Bah Hah-burr.

Given whom BAC hired for visual this season, both design and field techs, I'm not surprised at all at the improvement in marching and show design.

P.S The uniforms look very good. I love the Waldo on the shako.

Edited by xandandl

I just returned from Castleton, where I spent about 48 hours. This place, while being an incredible facility, is actually located on the back side (northern side) of the Killington Ski area. So, let me begin by saying that I watched last night's full run through wrapped in a couple blankets. I think it was around 49 degrees.

With the public performance for the local townspeople now just a few hours away (unless it rains or snows), I feel like I can provide a bit more reaction to what I saw and heard last night.

First off, the show is complete. The props are in and the guard work seems to be also complete. Having said that, there is little doubt in my mine that this particular design team will continue to add layers throughout the season. "Quixotic" is a journey, and the drum corps actually seems to take a journey throughout the 11 minutes, utilizing virtually every section of the field. As a former English teacher who actually used to teach Miguel Cervantes' "Don Quixote", I appreciate the fanciful trip the corps takes us on. As a "legacy" drum corps fan, I LOVE that the show is so lyrical...but fair warning: you will not be able to stop humming the melodies for days after you hear this( Man of LaMancha and To Dream the Impossible Dream are emotional home runs). As a visual designer myself, I will say that it is instantly obvious that there is a new sheriff in town in terms of the visual design package. And finally, as a former horn player, I will say that this group sounds really, REALLY good.

The show seems to fly by in 5 minutes. The mood swings are frequent and substantial, and the show really is "Quixotic". The marching technique by the horn line is more precise than in the recent past, and the guard is once again omnipresent. There are four drum majors/conductors, a decision I'm certain necessitated by the field coverage. Also, look for unconventional staging. And brass focus. And characterizations. And.....those windmills.....

I realize that my enthusiasm for BAC is perennial. I treasure this organization, but with all due respect, the last two seasons had some elements which, at times, were a challenge to defend. This is not the case with Boston 2016. Murphy, Murphy & Smith seem to be on a mission. I cannot wait for June 23rd

Thank you for the report! Has been pretty quiet so far this year for most corps. Glad to hear things are going really well.

It's good to hear they are ahead of the game, the last three shows at the tour premier all definitely came off as unfinished at the tour premier in terms of the ending and guard work. Like I've said a few times, this show gives me a really good gut feeling.

I love that it seems most corps from last years 7 - 12 are really stepping up, it's gonna make for a really exciting season. I could see Boston shoot up quite a bit.

I agree with your assessment. Like I have said things are back on track over the past few years. Should be a very interesting 1st show.

Hahahahaha oh Crown with their Tweet of uniform reveal and it's a picture of there gloves. They're dark grey

I would disagree with the thought they are moving away from the military look. I am very certain doing that would alienate many alumni. I think careful augmenting of the uniform with detail and enhancements is something they are doing and doing fairly well. And I don't think they are adding white so much as going back to selective use of white. I felt when white was being diminished it was the wrong direction. BITD, mid 70's there was white piping on pants, white gloves, white cummerbund and sash, white piping on all jacket details. At one point a full white stripe went down the sleeves of the jackets. AND they had white bucks. Loved the white bucks, but so exposed on the field.

I remember the white bucks in the late 70s even

The marching technique by the horn line is more precise than in the recent past

This Is great news! One of my chief complaints about BAC from the last two years was that the feet were ugly. I can't wait to see them!

This Is great news! One of my chief complaints about BAC from the last two years was that the feet were ugly. I can't wait to see them!

Well they have several Ex-Cadets staff from 2015 cleaning BAC's feet this year.. I think we'll see a sqeeky clean Boston in Aug. Cadets march like robots. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Hahahahaha oh Crown with their Tweet of uniform reveal and it's a picture of there gloves. They're dark grey

Wrong thread.

Please understand that I am deliberating measuring my tone, simply to avoid being perceived as a typical homer. Specifically with regard to the hornline's feet...it would have been more accurate of me to say that their feet are ​substantially better....as in an entire box higher than last year at this time.

• Like 2

Please understand that I am deliberating measuring my tone, simply to avoid being perceived as a typical homer. Specifically with regard to the hornline's feet...it would have been more accurate of me to say that their feet are ​substantially better....as in an entire box higher than last year at this time.

Oh I just saw the new BAC uni on FB! A Cadet shared it! Beautiful!

Large white plume, white gloves, cross belt and double white stripe on gauntlet..

Very clean and the white will pop from up top!

L

O

V

E

Edited by Tobias