Boston Crusaders 2016

me thinks the woman protests too much.

evidently love is blind if one can not hear criticism and not be defensive but rather take the insight offered (no matter what the style it is rendered) and objectively evaluate it for postive worth not for ooey-goey sensitive feelings.

see now. that's where i think the concern is.

There are those who engage in constructive criticism and discussion of the shows, design, colors, dance, horns, drums, etc etc etc. And there are those who post degrading comments. Some don't understand which is which. There's a report button for the latter.

Destructive comments are not useful to anyone. They are simply there for the writer to flex their keyboard muscle and gain attention.

The constructive comments and discussion many of us enjoy. Because we can't always discuss this activity with anyone in our immediate homes or lives, because many of them don't understand it. They like to watch it, but don't really get it.

I love to talk design. Because I work in entertainment, as a designer and production manager, and I love the idea of art in motion. I love to talk hornlines because I'm a trombone player who plays more than my wife wants to let me. Some of the people on here have some great points about performance and the art of this activity. And its always great to chat with them about it.

so as long as its congenial discussion, what's the problem?

• Like 3

2 days, really?? There are people NOW, who want that! ;) lol

.......nm............

Edited by BRASSO

so as long as its congenial discussion, what's the problem?

Respectfully, I think the issue is it's not always congenial. And whether it's worse in other threads or not, there have still been plenty of comments in this thread that although they do not violate DCP's terms of service, are less than congenial.

I don't think anyone would or could logically argue that DCP isn't a home for intelligent discourse about the activity, including armchair quarterbacking the show design, but there are a handful of people, including some KNOWN alumni, who have been less than subtle with their digs.

In short, C. I don't think you're the problem.

I would just say that remember that kids (they are still kids, and the adults aren't hiding behind them) do read these forums, and that SSF has cordially invited you to say anything that could be perceived as *more* or *overly* critical to the organization directly to him and to pass that on to the necessary parties, rather than invite bickering in an open thread.

• Like 2

" Trophies collect dust. Fond memories last forever ."

Mary Lou Retton, former USA Olympic Gymnast

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I could not agree more with SuperSaderFan and Red & Black. There have been a couple people in this thread who are alums and/or former staff who may have some not so subtle axes to grind. I find the "friendly" digs about the organization less than helpful at best and downright disingenuous at worst. Yes, it's a discussion board and yes we all have free speech. For my part, I reserve the right to be disappointed with an couple individuals' negative comments from afar.

I never complain about the judging and I don't bash Boston, or for that matter, the Crossmen, Madison, Cavies and Blue Stars, et al. It is clear to me that everyone is having a great year. Congrats to those other teams on their recent vast improvement, but I still believe in Boston's ability to max out their production in the next 10 days.

Competitively, I naturally hope to see BAC RISE by Indy. But, I know one thing...should this drum corps somehow not make it back into the top 12 for their 18th consecutive year, there is no way Boston will end up like those other World Class drum corps that Guardling was referencing. With one of the strongest organizations in all of DCI, the Boston Crusaders will absolutely return next season, and many more. Dead Corps International will have to wait another 75 years for BAC to join it.

• Like 2

Enjoying this commentary and constructive discourse...and a few laughs!!

While I needn't go on about the passive-aggressives and the yearly 'drive-bys' by the usual suspects. Other threads notwithstanding; keyboard warriors do not my life fulfill.

Best to BAC. Love their 2016 progression (new brass vid is awesome!) and their organizational growth and financial stability. Enjoy the final's push and congratulations to those strong, talented kids and staff; they know what is needed and what to do. Have a wonderful home stand and practice time. "Do it up!"

Love seeing the old-timers, like BAC, SCV along with new corps like The Academy. Lots of talent out there!

"Behind the smile, a hidden knife!"― Ancient Chinese proverb describing passive-aggressive behavior

• Like 2

Respectfully, I think the issue is it's not always congenial. And whether it's worse in other threads or not, there have still been plenty of comments in this thread that although they do not violate DCP's terms of service, are less than congenial.

I don't think anyone would or could logically argue that DCP isn't a home for intelligent discourse about the activity, including armchair quarterbacking the show design, but there are a handful of people, including some KNOWN alumni, who have been less than subtle with their digs.

In short, C. I don't think you're the problem.

I would just say that remember that kids (they are still kids, and the adults aren't hiding behind them) do read these forums, and that SSF has cordially invited you to say anything that could be perceived as *more* or *overly* critical to the organization directly to him and to pass that on to the necessary parties, rather than invite bickering in an open thread.

totally understand. and I've seen those posts. I'm not sure how their admin handle unruly alumni, i know that the office of my old corps really should hire someone to handle that. call it "lost luggage" or something. hahahaahah

totally understand. and I've seen those posts. I'm not sure how their admin handle unruly alumni, i know that the office of my old corps really should hire someone to handle that. call it "lost luggage" or something. hahahaahah

nm

Edited by GUARDLING

I could not agree more with SuperSaderFan and Red & Black. There have been a couple people in this thread who are alums and/or former staff who may have some not so subtle axes to grind. I find the "friendly" digs about the organization less than helpful at best and downright disingenuous at worst. Yes, it's a discussion board and yes we all have free speech. For my part, I reserve the right to be disappointed with an couple individuals' negative comments from afar.

I never complain about the judging and I don't bash Boston, or for that matter, the Crossmen, Madison, Cavies and Blue Stars, et al. It is clear to me that everyone is having a great year. Congrats to those other teams on their recent vast improvement, but I still believe in Boston's ability to max out their production in the next 10 days.

Competitively, I naturally hope to see BAC RISE by Indy. But, I know one thing...should this drum corps somehow not make it back into the top 12 for their 18th consecutive year, there is no way Boston will end up like those other World Class drum corps that Guardling was referencing. With one of the strongest organizations in all of DCI, the Boston Crusaders will absolutely return next season, and many more. Dead Corps International will have to wait another 75 years for BAC to join it.

BY referencing other corps and that there may be things that are the same or have been does not mean BAc or any other corps would or could fall as you say. All corps have issues, many the same , some over and over. How one pulls themselves out is another story, some do , some don't.

Referencing something does not mean outcomes are the same. You can go from top to bottom and find things the same. Problems are not the problem, they will always be there with all corps , solutions can be different.

I'm sure you are right and that BAC will not be one of those but be the one maybe othesr can use as an example as to what is possible.

PS: looking back a little , Unless I missed it ,it didnt seem that any past alumni or staff were saying anything as to any specific issues. Maybe it's there. Either way BAC can certainly rise by Indy. It's happened before.

Edited by GUARDLING

An appeal to posters on DCP: Can I ask that posters keep in mind that this is a non profit youth activity. The kids pay money to participate, work incredibly hard in the boiling sun, practice for long hours, perform for you and then take over-night bus trips to do it all over again. The organization raises money, contributes money and does everything that they can to provide a great experience for the kids and hopefully the fans. Perhaps these kids on the bus trip to the next stop pull up DCP on their phone and they read your post. I can only imagine how deflating that is. They are not paid professionals, this is not Major league sports in the sense that they are being paid big salaries and under performing for you. They are just really good kids working hard every day to make their show better. You may not like the show, you may disagree with the design, you may not think they are putting out enough for your satisfaction but they are working hard at their craft every day. The constant recycling of the same negative complaints is pretty tough. Perhaps you have made your point by now? The season is almost over and I am asking, on behalf of the kids and their parents, to be please keep all of this is mind. You can always send me a PM and tell me whatever you want. I have been at this with BAC for 38 years and I know first hand that we are not perfect. I know some of you marched or taught the corps, some support the competition and wish to benefit by knocking the kids. If you are an alum, please think back to when you marched and someone either put you down or perhaps lifted you up. If you disagree or want to bash me - please send me a PM and I promise I will take all of your constructive critique and feed it back to the organization. Have a great rest of the season!

You seem to loose sight by your post that most of the people that actually post here...DO CARE A LOT ABOUT THE CORPS...and drumcorps in and of itself as well...if we didn't then we wouldn't say anything at all...We all do not live in a bubble...please do not take my public response as a bash either...in this world it is also a life lesson to be able to absorb various criticism and RISE above it...and from what I've read on this thread all summer...most of the criticism had nothing to do with the EFFORT of the kids or lack of the Boston Crusaders as an organization to providing a meaningful experience for their members...I may not always agree with everything that is put out, but I must say this thread is tepid in response/reaction/comment/criticism to many of the others....I have NOT been happy with MANY of the negative comments in the show threads this season, but I did not take the time to point out my distaste in them as you've done here...there are many posters opionins on DCP....the good...the bad...and the ugly...it is always your choice and the members for that matter as to whether to read them...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1