Boston Crusaders 2016

1. Was at the Boston camp ... the one in Boston (well, actually, outside of Boston) ...

2. Was enjoyable because the turnout was small enough (relative to the Orlando and Texas camps, no doubt) that my son got a lot of one-on-one time with the staff, all the way up to the Director.

3. They did play some music ... including Giant ...

And here are the pictures I shared on Facebook:

From nearby Walden Pond

12316136_1257392704276446_66993968282469

Thanks very much. Love the photos. How did your son enjoy camp? Hope he had a good experience. How did what your heard sound?

From nearby Lexington

12341054_1257433804272336_48364255187835

BAC camp was at Acton Boxborough this past week. Around 100 attended. Up from last year which is good to see.

Any idea how many videos they got or what to expect from Orlando?

My understanding is that Academy had around 300 in Phoenix this weekend. But BAC accepts videos beginning right after finals so their total season auditions might be much more than Academy, or others for example.

Also, BAC doesn't charge anything for video auditions. Most other corps charge $75 or more for a video "read".

Correction: BAC doesn't charge to download their audition packet, but does charge $125 to audition either in person or on video.

Edited by garfield

My understanding is that Academy had around 300 in Phoenix this weekend. But BAC accepts videos beginning right after finals so their total season auditions might be much more than Academy, or others for example.

Also, BAC doesn't charge anything for video auditions. Most other corps charge $75 or more for a video "read".

I'm from the camp of quality and not quantity...but then again the more talent to choose from the better I guess...yet again experienced talent would be the best no matter the quantity...

I'm not too sure how well they promote it....but it would seem to me that BAC really wants to encourage local kids to participate in their programs and the corps for that matter...I am glad that they do that....and there is a $500 incentive/discount in tour fees if you live in Massachusetts. That's a real big incentive IMO...

Deadline for video auditions btw is December 12th...

And with Garfield's announcement, Inspire office has now found another way to increase income for future seasons. "Thanks" Garf for spilling the (Boston) beans.

I'm from the camp of quality and not quantity...but then again the more talent to choose from the better I guess...yet again experienced talent would be the best no matter the quantity...

I'm not too sure how well they promote it....but it would seem to me that BAC really wants to encourage local kids to participate in their programs and the corps for that matter...I am glad that they do that....and there is a $500 incentive/discount in tour fees if you live in Massachusetts. That's a real big incentive IMO...

Deadline for video auditions btw is December 12th...

And with Garfield's announcement, Inspire office has now found another way to increase income for future seasons. "Thanks" Garf for spilling the (Boston) beans.

I would agree with the local presence favoritism if BAC's auditions were actually in Boston. Only one of ten audition sites listed on BAC's website is actually held in Boston. They are pretty much covering the east and midwest, truly bringing the corps to the kids for auditions (which I appreciate) to round one, but round two auditions are in Orlando.

And, as The _Kid said two days ago, "I bet I make up for it in Orlando camp fees." Really not. Camp fees are either $50 or $75.

CORRECTION: BAC doesn't charge to download their audition packet, but they do charge $125 to audition a video.

Edited by garfield

Based upon the corps my family has looked at over the last 3 season, most seem to charge something along the following:

• $0 - $25 for the audition packet, if you are NOT actually going to audition
  • $85 - $125 Registration Fee, to get the audition packet, and to audition (Boston charged $125)
  • $40 - $110 for the actual Camp Fee where you audition in person (in addition to the Registration Fee) (Boston charged $50)
    • very few contracts issued, even to vets, at first audition camp, so repeat the fee for the Call-Back Camp
  • $0-$75 if you audition via video, rather than attend the camp (in addition to the Registration Fee)
    • no contracts issued for a video audition, but might get you invited to Call-Back Camp, which costs $40-$110)
  • $40 - $110 for each additional winter/spring camp, up to Move-ins. The number of these camps varies by corps.
  • $~3,000 - $~4,000 Tour Fees, covering move-ins through Finals Week.
    • Note: As per their published information: Boston charges $3,500 for everything, from the point of receiving a contract. So if contracted at the Call-Back camp in January, then the Feb. - May weekend camps prior to move-ins are including in the $3,500, so you paid a total of $3,675 (I don't know yet whether Boston offers discounted tuition for early payment in full, like some corps).
Edited by Eleran

I was reading in Giant Steps (Winter 2015) a statement from Jeff Pearson, their corps director, that the drill writer for Boston this year (2016) will be new. Does anyone happen to know who the drill writer will be for 2016? I looked at the different announcements, but it was not clear to me who actually would be writing the drill for them. I guess I could just contact the corps and ask, but thought I might try here first.

Thanks!

I was reading in Giant Steps (Winter 2015) a statement from Jeff Pearson, their corps director, that the drill writer for Boston this year (2016) will be new. Does anyone happen to know who the drill writer will be for 2016? I looked at the different announcements, but it was not clear to me who actually would be writing the drill for them. I guess I could just contact the corps and ask, but thought I might try here first.

Thanks!

Brian Murphy will be the 2016 Visual Designer. Most of the time with these Corps, these tend to be collaborative efforts . In Boston's case for 2016, Jay Murphy ( from BD Visual fame ) and Anthony Smith are the 3 person Visual Design team for Boston for 2016, Liahona.

Brian Murphy will be the 2016 Visual Designer. Most of the time with these Corps, these tend to be collaborative efforts . In Boston's case for 2016, Jay Murphy ( from BD Visual fame ) and Anthony Smith are the 3 person Visual Design team for Boston for 2016, Liahona.

And all three have work with BAC in the past as well.