Boston Crusaders 2016

The BOD started off the 2016 season by replacing Andy W. with Chris Collins on Friday night.

" Chris Collins" ?

Are you perhaps mixing him up with my family tree guy ?

Edited by BRASSO

I wonder how much $$$$$ their get marching in parades now of day's.

Enough to at least buy you lunch one of these days if they wanted too, emc2

Guess so. Holland. Boy did you go back for this mistake.

I was a ghostbuster today... and intent on busting your.....hmn..... never mind ( haha!).

I was a ghostbuster today... and intent on busting your.....hmn..... never mind ( haha!).

That's alright. I've busted your hmmm's in the 2015/2016 comparison topic. Surprised you've ignored it. (Back to the EURO Cup.)

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I believe in you Boston. I did opening night, still do now. Lots of corps stepping up their games this year, including you guys. Just work as hard is it is possible, let the show develop, and leave it all out there.

I feel like this shows fate lies in the middle 6 minutes, that was obviously unfinished, and I feel like that is where the soul of this show lies in terms of the source, I feel like when it gets fleshed out, their scores will really start to climb.

I feel ya, I've been on this bus before. You can't stop supporting and can't stop believing if you're a fan. This is when they need you most!

DrumManTX, I appreciate your comments as I often do. I first remember seeing Boston Crusaders in 1975, the summer between 6th and 7th grade. They had a glare and could intimidate like no other corps. I still believe they were finalist quality in 1978 (sorry Kiltie fans) and thought that finals in 1994 was a possibility. I remember the lean years in the late 70's and early 80's and the excitement of 1999, the glory of 2000 and 2002, worried they might not "Rise" in 2013 only to be amazed at finals, thought they were underrated in 2015, and I'll confess scratched my head a bit in 2014. I've learned never to underestimate BAC, and what you see in June is not what you'll see in August. Looking forward to seeing them live on Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 3

Well, A-Town is over and the corps has five shows done. Fifty years ago was my last year with the corps and any activity I've competed in since is still about winning and not well, we did a good job. My biggest downer is all the hype from all parties since camps started and that frustrates me because I'm only interested in the results of one corps. I don't give a dam about anyone else. So I'd like to give some of my thoughts about this years corps and try to provide what I believe to be as Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts m'am".

First and fifth show scores for the last four years. 13= 64.30/70.40 14=66.40/72.70 15=61.60/68.10 16=60.45/64.55

- New directors were hired to lead this corps to be more competitive.

-The corps has more veteran mm this year.

-After Winter camps those around the corps were positive that the talent was better and further ahead leading into ST.

-Management/staff wanted to start ST earlier to avoid the poor start of last year.

-The new visual team of M,M,& S gave everyone hope and optimism.

-During ST, the visitors were excited how better the corps is than previous years.

-The techs from the Cadets are really cleaning up the mm marching.

-This years production is the vehicle to move the corps upward in the standings.

-The windmills are unbelievable and add so much to the show.

-The BOD as a whole are expecting the corps to start having better success.

-After several decades, the corps has finally achieved some financial stability.

-Since 99, the corps has never finished lower than 10th.

Opinions, not facts, of others about this years show.

"This triumphant show has curiously hypnotic Windmill props and modern dance interpreting what Don Quixote sees. This simple interpretation of the music and heartfelt emotive dance conveys a Quixotic confusion and his unique point of view. It's a solid theme with powerful music.

After about three minutes, the dramatic action comes to a halt. It lacks heightening right now. Great prop, but what happens to it? What's the final progression or transformation? The resolve is unclear. Couple of set pieces need to be added, especially in the middle section, and I'm sure they know this. Here are some suggestions to heighten and resolve the action.

FIX: I suggest the windmills line up along the left 30 yard line, and the corps form a wedge and the entire corps approaches the windmills and fights them with sabers, as Quixote did. Then, I suggest that at the end, the guard bring out angled pieces, as if bent swords from jousting the windmills, shaped just like the windmill prongs, and by the end the entire corps unifies and creates a drill form of a massive synchronized spinning windmill, mirroring the ones on the field -- chaos is now order, and the windmill floats off right at the end, as if it has become a star, no matter how hopeful, no matter how far."

"Boston needs to have their Don Quixote's do more battle with their windmill props, as right now, the costly props, while modern and creative looking, are currently underutilized as props in the show. I love their overall look and appearance in the field, and they are improved over last season. But they need to add more texture and content to their show, if they want to move up in placements this summer."

"This giant windmills are a visual mistake. They make the corps members look small and diminish them. When they are spinning and not together, it paints a sloppy picture. The guard is a weakness, too. "

"Bostons guard this yr must be young cause it is showing big time."

This corps has a unique pedigree where there were no excuses, just work your asss off. The corps members were in charge of the corps. In early 64, as soon as we hit the parking lot Rich Gobbi got in my face about a drill move that I was late in starting. Yes, today's mm/staff have a different mind set, but tough love is more positive than negative. The corps who are constantly near the top might have a little better talent with more experience, but there are other ways to take good talent and bring them to the promise land. And that starts and ends with the show, especially the visuals. From what little I know of instructors, I believe the group this is year can get this corps moving and make sure those techs are great at ATD.

Tonight's 2 point gain is nice and maybe the scoring is starting lower than most years, but to have any chance, they have to be into the 70's real soon. May the corps find success in early July instead of gaining ground in the last two weeks of the season. When many are talking the talk, they better have the corps walk the walk.

DrumManTX, I appreciate your comments as I often do. I first remember seeing Boston Crusaders in 1975, the summer between 6th and 7th grade. They had a glare and could intimidate like no other corps. I still believe they were finalist quality in 1978 (sorry Kiltie fans) and thought that finals in 1994 was a possibility. I remember the lean years in the late 70's and early 80's and the excitement of 1999, the glory of 2000 and 2002, worried they might not "Rise" in 2013 only to be amazed at finals, thought they were underrated in 2015, and I'll confess scratched my head a bit in 2014. I've learned never to underestimate BAC, and what you see in June is not what you'll see in August. Looking forward to seeing them live on Saturday and Sunday.

Well said, Tim K. I'm really enjoying Boston's show this season. Its one of my favorites of the last decade. Are you going to Saturday's show at Boston College ?

Well said, Tim K. I'm really enjoying Boston's show this season. Its one of my favorites of the last decade. Are you going to Saturday's show at Boston College ?

I'll be at BC Saturday, Lynn Sunday, parades Monday, Cranston Tuesday, and maybe Tanglewood on Wednesday, though that is looking less likely.

Ghost It seems like you been listening to Barigirl79 to much.`