Carolina Crown 2016

It's still "gun violence".

I mean, if you want to think of it in such simplistic terms, then yes you're right. But I think the context is important. I understand if you disagree.

I have changed my mind on the new ending (see earlier posts). My first inclination was disappointment, but after seeing it yesterday and thinking about it today this world needs a little more mercy. In this life we will eventually wrong someone (maybe not kill them but the same principle applies). Would we want them to seek revenge or show us mercy and compassion in return? Many of us spend too much time concerned with what we percieve is justice rather than what is right. Anyway, it is the wild west and he probably will get his anyway. They didn't take kindly to thieves and murderers back then. Either way it is an awesome show performed by kids with amazing talent.

sounds like Stockholm Syndrome.

I mean, if you want to think of it in such simplistic terms, then yes you're right. But I think the context is important. I understand if you disagree.

The killing in the beginning sets up the whole show and the theme. The son hunts down the dude and doesn't shoot him. I understand and agree that this was needed for the show to make sense but it is still gun violence.

If they wanted the peace approach, the dad should've gotten beat at a game of Texas hold 'em or something.

• Like 1

The killing in the beginning sets up the whole show and the theme. The son hunts down the dude and doesn't shoot him. I understand and agree that this was needed for the show to make sense but it is still gun violence.

If they wanted the peace approach, the dad should've gotten beat at a game of Texas hold 'em or something.

I think you're focusing in too much on one detail and missing the overall message. They responded to gun violence (or violence in general, if some people prefer looking at it that way) with mercy and compassion. That is the message they're sending. The message would not be nearly as effective if the story starts out with the dad being beaten at a game of Texas hold'em.

Anyways, I should probably stop spamming this thread lol.

I'm really starting to love this Crown show (so much that it's now in my signature) and I wish them the best of luck in the next week!

Fair point, you're definitely right about that (no distinction being made before).

It's not exactly a necessary component, but I do think it is a relevant component since it is the whole reason why Crown decided to ditch the previous ending (Crown's DM said so herself in an interview)

Do you have a link to the interview? I don't want to judge her statements without context.

Do you have a link to the interview? I don't want to judge her statements without context.

The interview was done live on DCI TV directly after Crown performed Sat night DCI East. The entire live feed went dead at midnight. I am the one who initially quoted her. I watched the interview twice to make sure I got it right, but I assure you I did not quote her verbatim. I did the best I could until the feed went dead.

The Crown DM was incredibly articulate and organized in her thoughts. You are 100% right that is much better for us as fans to listen to her for ourselves and react to what she said. Any attempt by a 2nd party to quote or paraphrase her can only be a poor facsimile of the real thing.

It would be nice if DCI could make that interview available, maybe put it on Youtube or something. Great idea.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

The interview was done live on DCI TV directly after Crown performed Sat night DCI East. The entire live feed went dead at midnight. I am the one who initially quoted her. I watched the interview twice to make sure I got it right, but I assure you I did not quote her verbatim. I did the best I could until the feed went dead.

It would be nice if DCI could make that available, maybe put it on Youtube or something. Great idea.

Yeah, sorry skevinp, I'd link it if I could. However wvu80 did give a little summary of it in the DCI East topic: "She said with all the gun violence and shootings recently, Crown wanted to go away from a "relentless and revenge" to show mercy and not end the show with a killing. To show mercy is the answer."

It's still "gun violence".

Here we go...I'm gonna say it before it gets to far...

Guns don't kill people.

People kill people.

Don't blame the gun!

Lol.